Bug - Text Comparison

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2018 2:09 AM

The Text Comparison tool fails to jump properly to a verse in the same chapter as the one displayed, unless that verse is a long way from the current verse.

When I first type in a reference to the Text Comparison command bar, the tool jumps to it.  The tool also works properly when I type in a reference from a different chapter to the one currently displayed.  However, when I type a reference in the same chapter as the one I'm looking at, instead of jumping to it, it merely jumps to a little way down the list for the current verse, if at all.  This is very irritating when I'm working verse by verse through a passage.

This appears to be to do with the length of the verses.  For example (using the Text Comparison set for ESV/ NKJV/ NET/ NIV/ YLT/ NASB95/ AV)

• With Exodus 34:1 selected, the comparison tool will not jump to a verse before Exodus 34:8
  • With John 1:1 selected, the comparison tool will not jump to a verse before John 1:14

The problem also occurs when I link the text comparison tool to another panel of Biblical text.  The text comparison fails to jump to the right verse no matter whether I type a new verse into the command bar in the linked panel, or scroll the linked panel.  The text comparison tool window moves, but not far enough to link up or display the relevant verse.

Faithlife, please could you fix this.

(I'm running 7.17 but think the bug precedes the latest update.)

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 7:25 AM

Greetings Cromwell

I see the same behaviour on my setup.

iMac OS10.13.6 and Logos 7.17.0.0020

it also occurs with at least one other set of books.

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 3:14 PM

Thanks Mike for confirming it's not just me.

Will someone from Faithlife pick this up from this forum so it can be resolved?

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 5:00 PM

It has been reported several times and they have indicated it was on a bug report.

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2018 12:09 AM

John Fidel:

It has been reported several times and they have indicated it was on a bug report.

Thanks John...

Perhaps a report on the report?

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2018 8:16 AM

Here is FL response to a previous bug report:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/169968/982576.aspx#982576

However, I am all for continuing to remind them as this has been a bug for some time.

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 7:33 AM

John Fidel:

Here is FL response to a previous bug report:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/169968/982576.aspx#982576

However, I am all for continuing to remind them as this has been a bug for some time.

Two months is a long time for a disfunction in a major facility in the program to remain outstanding!

By now there should be some information as to prognosis - even if it has to be 'this is shelved till Logos 8'.

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 8:19 AM

I agree that 2 months is a long time.  It would be nice if it were fixed with the imminent release of Logos 8.  However, for those remaining with Logos 7 it still ought to be sorted without waiting months until the free cut down of Logos 8 is made available.

Posts 2080
LogosEmployee

There is currently an open case for this problem which has been around for over a year: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/139849.aspx

Unfortunately, I have no information on when or if this bug will be fixed. However, I will add a link to this thread into the case notes, and we will post to this thread when the problem gets resolved.

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 8:58 AM

Andrew,

Thanks for the update, and for your candor in pointing out that this has been known for over a year!  May I ask how Logos prioritises fixing bugs?  Is it how many people get frustrated enough to post here? Or something else?

Posts 2080
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 10:21 AM

There are a number of things that factor into prioritization. These include, but are not limited to:

• The severity of the bug
  • The number of people affected
  • The difficulty in fixing the bug
  • If we are making other changes in a particular area of the application, we are more likely to fix other problems while we are there.

We usually only have solid plans about what will be fixed at most two weeks ahead of time. Further out than that, we usually are only doing rough planning of larger tasks.

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 2:09 PM

Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to share this.  I just hope it will be fixed when Logos 8 arrives.  Sometimes I get the feeling that Logos is trying to do so many whizzy things which attract people to the software that this detracts from making things work smoothly and speedily.

However, you have the benefit of the doubt until Logos 8 arrives!

Posts 2080
LogosEmployee

I seem to vaguely recall that a possible workaround is to set the link set on the Text Comparison panel to be "follow" rather than an explicit link set. You might try that to see if it clears things up for you.

Posts 399
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2018 3:44 AM

For what it's worth, this has also been a frustrating issue for myself as well for a long time.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS