Best practices - resources outside your Logos library

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 70
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 31 2018 6:35 PM

Can anybody recommend any good practices/strategies for getting information from non-Logos resources into Logos.  For example, if I have a book, an article on the web, a PDF file, what is the best way to extract the notes and get them into Logos? Notes document? A single note?  I've used the sermon template for some, and personal books for others.  None of these methods seem ideal.  It seems like it would be ideal to use clippings in a clippings document, but alas, you cannot make clippings outside of the library resources.  I have no objection to just getting all my resources on Logos, but some are just not available and likely will never be.  I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer.  Thanks!

Posts 27223
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 4:28 PM

If bible-based you can use Add Note in an existing Note file and create (bible) Attachment points. Otherwise, Attachment points have to relate to a resource in Library. But you don't necessarily need Attachment points, because the note(s) can contain links to web pages and files on your computer (use the 'paper-clip' icon).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 70
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 1:14 PM

That is helpful validation.  Thanks for the advice.

This is essentially what I've been doing thus far.  Using attachment points where something is tied directly to a Bible verse, and using un-attached notes elsewhere. Most of these resources do relate to a Bible verse so this is actually useful.  What I'd really also love is to be able to get the information into a clipping along with bibliographic information.  Right now, when I'm writing or preparing a study, I gather all my clippings together into a single document (or topical group).  I rely on that when preparing my materials, outline, etc.  Unfortunately, I have to have a set of "clippings" that exist outside of Logos because these additional resources are not in Logos.  It would be great if I could capture everything in one place. The notes method works for outside resources. 

Posts 27223
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 8:08 PM

Tom Vidal:
What I'd really also love is to be able to get the information into a clipping along with bibliographic information.  

It's not satisfactory. The header information + citation from the Logos resource will have to be removed/edited after you Print/Export the clipping.  Otherwise, you can remove the clipped text, use text from your source, add links and create/paste bibliographic information.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:19 PM

Dave Hooton:

If bible-based you can use Add Note in an existing Note file and create (bible) Attachment points. Otherwise, Attachment points have to relate to a resource in Library. But you don't necessarily need Attachment points, because the note(s) can contain links to web pages and files on your computer (use the 'paper-clip' icon).

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I WISH I KNEW THIS AGES AGO!  I NEVER heard this, from anyone, ever!  Good golly, "notes can contain links to web pages and files on your computer?????

REALLY????

I have to go try it right now!

Dave, YOU ROCK!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:28 PM

Well my excitement was short lived...I can't find a paperclip icon in my notes. :(

Cynthia

Posts 25328
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:39 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Well my excitement was short lived...I can't find a paperclip icon in my notes. :(

Have a look in the “creating hyperlinks to other resources“section of https://wiki.logos.com/Notes_$28ver_4.5_$26_up$29#Adding_Hyperlinks_in_your_note 

The screenshots are for an older version of Logos but the principles hold.

Its more of a “chain-link icon”

Posts 27223
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 3:01 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

As Graham said, more like a chain-link icon.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 3:50 PM

Thanks Graham and Dave!  I did find the hyperlink "chain."  I'll see what I can do with it! :)

Cynthia

Posts 70
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 4:00 PM

It was a brilliant move for the Logos developers to include the file-linking functionality.  I have used that feature quite a bit for things like taking notes on a document and then keeping a link to the source file in my archive.  That’s one of those really nice, subtle touches that makes this software so delightful to use.

Posts 33738
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 4:01 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Australian speak or ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27223
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 8:57 PM

MJ. Smith:
Australian speak or ...

I think it was blurry vision...

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS