Questions/Suggestions for NT Antiquity

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 3 2018 12:28 PM

So I'm finishing up my lesson for tomorrow's class.  It's the introduction to Ephesians.  Something I noticed over and over again is that every commentary, background commentary, encyclopedia, etc. that I own speaks very heavily about the city but little about everyday life (aside from family hierarchy).  I own the book The New Testament in Antiquity and for the most part, that was the most helpful resource.  However, I would have loved something that spoke more about what life would have been like for them.  Yes, I could have used the historical setting of the NT Roman Empire, but I had hoped for something more specific to the city of Ephesus.  Can you recommend a more thorough resource, in general, for New Testament Antiquity including Culture, Religions, history of the city, founding of the church, etc.?

Secondly, I own the Dictionary of Daily Life in Biblical and Post-Biblical Antiquity.  Is there a Scripture reference that I'm missing, or is it only topical?

Thanks for your help!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 699
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 12:58 PM

The first two suggestions that came to my mind you have already mentioned--NT in Antiquity and Dictionary of Daily Life.

You probably consulted the standard dictionaries, ISBE, ABD, etc. Also, the IVP Black Dictionaries, especially the Dictionary of New Testament Background. Works by Craig Keener are often filled with good background information.

Four other Logos books...

Not a book, but collection: Baker Academic New Testament Backgrounds. Good titles matching your topic.

Paul & His World: Interpreting the NT in Its Context by Helmut Koester

Cities and Paul: Images and Interpretations from the Harvard New Testament and Archaeology Project by Helmut Koester

This one is older...

Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities

The Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities is a 1,300-page compendium of information about the ancient world. Covering subjects such as architecture, law, festivals, furniture, religion, warfare, customs, and daily life, it provides readers access to a broader understanding of ancient life. Arranged in alphabetical format by subject, this topical dictionary has been founded on a careful examination of original sources and input by leading scholars of the day

Posts 639
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 1:24 PM

Ted Weis:

Also, the IVP Black Dictionaries, especially the Dictionary of New Testament Background. Works by Craig Keener are often filled with good background information. 

The Dictionary of Paul and his Letters has a good entry on Ephesian Culture. Also worth checking out The New Testament Milieu by Toit and St. Paul in Asia Minor by Plumptre which both seem to have very detailed entries.

(Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I’m writing this from my phone and the text is tiny) 

Posts 158
Sam Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 5:29 PM

Sadly not available in Logos, Jerome Murphy-O'Connor's St Paul's Ephesus is pretty good. He begins by combing the ancient literature for every significant reference to Ephesus, offering excerpts and commentary on each. The second part of the book takes you on a walk through Ephesus the way Paul would have experienced it, then works though all the issues involved with Paul's ministry in Ephesus. He focuses sharply on the Ephesus of the mid-first century, and his approach is scholarly but still readable.

https://www.amazon.com/St-Pauls-Ephesus-Texts-Archaeology/dp/081465259X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536106889&sr=1-1&keywords=st+paul%27s+ephesus&dpID=51JUM8-nrYL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 1:52 PM

Sam Henderson:

Sadly not available in Logos, Jerome Murphy-O'Connor's St Paul's Ephesus is pretty good. He begins by combing the ancient literature for every significant reference to Ephesus, offering excerpts and commentary on each. The second part of the book takes you on a walk through Ephesus the way Paul would have experienced it, then works though all the issues involved with Paul's ministry in Ephesus. He focuses sharply on the Ephesus of the mid-first century, and his approach is scholarly but still readable.

https://www.amazon.com/St-Pauls-Ephesus-Texts-Archaeology/dp/081465259X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536106889&sr=1-1&keywords=st+paul%27s+ephesus&dpID=51JUM8-nrYL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Sam:  This was EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Sadly, I had to search many resources for several hours to gather this type of information.  Thanks!

Cynthia

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 1:53 PM

Ryan:

Ted Weis:

Also, the IVP Black Dictionaries, especially the Dictionary of New Testament Background. Works by Craig Keener are often filled with good background information. 

The Dictionary of Paul and his Letters has a good entry on Ephesian Culture. Also worth checking out The New Testament Milieu by Toit and St. Paul in Asia Minor by Plumptre which both seem to have very detailed entries.

(Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I’m writing this from my phone and the text is tiny) 

Turns out, I had those in my library but for some reason they didn't come up in my search...even in my collection search.  Thanks!

Ted:  Thanks for those awesome suggestions.  I'm going to check them out now!

Cynthia

Posts 99
RHC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2018 2:31 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Sam Henderson:

Sam:  This was EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Sadly, I had to search many resources for several hours to gather this type of information.  Thanks!

If you're looking for electronic edition, it's available in drm-free pdf from the publisher at https://litpress.org/Products/5259/St-Pauls-Ephesus though not in epub or mobi/kindle unlike some of their other books.

Posts 158
Sam Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2018 4:26 PM

My two copies of the Muphy-O'Conor books are both made of paper, card and glue. The volume on Corinth is most thumbed one - a bit controversial in places, but some terrific insights into problematic aspects of the Corinthian correspondence. I visited the Old Corinth archaeological site after reading it, and felt like a homeboy returning to his old haunts.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS