Excessive price difference

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 72
Matthew | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 5 2018 9:02 AM

I'm a big Michael Heiser fan, as far as I know I own all of his books. And so I'm excited that his latest book, Angels: What the Bible Really Says About God’s Heavenly Host, is about to be released on September 19th and have had it on Pre-order since February. However, I noticed that there is no discount offered for Pre-ordering through Logos, it's the full list price of $19.99:

https://www.logos.com/product/148914/angels-what-the-bible-really-says-about-gods-heavenly-host

But Amazon has the Kindle version on sale for 70% off at just $5.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Angels-Bible-Really-About-Heavenly-ebook/dp/B07GJWPXC3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536161891&sr=8-1&keywords=Angels%3A+What+the+Bible+Really+Says+About+God%E2%80%99s+Heavenly+Host

I'm a decades-long Logos user and I understand the difference between a tagged Logos version and a Kindle version and so my first choice is always Logos even if the Logos version is a few dollars more than Kindle, but $14 more? And Logos (Lexham Press) is the publisher, so it's not about publisher permission.

I'd really hate to do it after waiting this long, but I might cancel my Pre-order and just get the Kindle version for $5.99 or wait until a future Logos sale. I'm not mad at all and, in fact, I noticed this week that (assuming because I'm a Now/Connect member) I have a temporary license to an advanced copy of the first three chapters of the book, which is nice.

I'm guessing Amazon does mostly what it pleases. I just don't understand why FL/Lexham wouldn't react to the Kindle sale by dropping the price at least something off of full list price. Maybe someone from FL/Lexham could chime in on this.

Thanks!

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 9:21 AM

I agree with this. Lexham Press should be supporting Logos Bible Software users, not Kindle users!

Posts 635
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 9:52 AM

Mark Barnes:

I agree with this. Lexham Press should not be supporting Logos Bible Software users, not Kindle users!

Mark, please reread your post. I believe you have one too many nots.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 10:21 AM

Logos invented pre-pub, and in the main, sticks with it.

Now, Lexham products pre-pub at the regular price.  I by-pass these wrongly priced books, as I strongly believe this is not right, to say the least.

Perhaps FL has a good internal reason to do this, but as a customer, I have a great reason to simply not buy.

Posts 818
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 1:23 PM

The pre-pub price promise no longer exists, partly so Faithlife can participate in publisher sales.

Faithlife are deliberately experimenting by offer Lexham Press books on Kindle at better prices to gauge the response for the books without the added value of being in Logos format.

Posts 1403
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 1:32 PM

Looks like I will have to buy Kindle instead of Logos format. Too sad

Faithlife, can you offer please on Faithlife ebooks (vyrso) for more reasonable price? You pay royalties to Amazon and offer great discount

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:07 PM

Check your libraries it may be a Faithlife connect benefit, but I got an advanced preview of this book releasing soon.  So far it’s got great content.

DAL

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:11 PM

I agree with the sentiments in this thread. FL needs to better reward those who take up Lexham titles on prepub. FL is only driving customers towards purchasing Kindle when there is this sort of price difference.

Posts 1802
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:31 PM

My price for this book is $5.99.   Just checked my prepub list.

Posts 73
LogosEmployee
Jake Mailhot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:32 PM

Thanks everyone for providing valuable feedback for us. Here's a quick note from Lexham's Publisher:

Hi everyone,

Some of you have noted that our Logos preorder price for Angels is quite a bit higher than Amazon’s Kindle pre-order price. ($19.99 versus $5.99). The reason is that Lexham has been using the Kindle edition lately to do some pricing experiments. At Lexham, we always ask ourselves the question, “What does it look like to do faithful evangelical publishing from where we are?” We’re in a unique position as a division of Faithlife, and one of the things we’re well positioned to do is to find innovative ways to get you, our customers, the most value for your money.

As I’m sure most of you are well aware, the Kindle edition is way more basic in its functionality and features than the Logos edition—that makes it a cheap and easy testbed for experiments with pricing. Among other logistical hurdles, that’s our rationale for doing our pricing experiments using the Kindle format.

In the meantime, there’s still the matter of a big difference in the Angels pre-order price, and we completely understand your desire to get the most value for your money—not just after we’re done with our experimenting, but now. And who could blame our best customers—our Logos customers—for wanting great prices? Lord willing, that’s more and more where we’re headed.  

So maybe we should start that journey right away.

We’ve just dropped the pre-order price for the full-fledged Logos edition of Angels to $5.99. We’re in this together. We’d appreciate it if you spread the word.

—Brannon Ellis

If you have any questions about this change, I'll do my best to clear up any remaining confusion.

Posts 307
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:33 PM

Nice, thank you!

Posts 72
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:35 PM

Thank you Brannon, Jake, and the entire FL and Lexham team, much appreciated!

Posts 9813
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:48 PM

Jake Mailhot:
We’ve just dropped the pre-order price for the full-fledged Logos edition of Angels to $5.99. We’re in this together. We’d appreciate it if you spread the word.

Thanks a lot!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 3:56 PM

Wow, super thanks! I just checked my prepub and the price has been adjusted. Thank you again! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 4:06 PM

Does it come as a download?

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 4:11 PM

Thank you! 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 5:07 PM

scooter:

Does it come as a download?

Really? Of course! It’s a download because it’s a Logos book.  Go back and read his post (Hint: full-fledged Logos edition) Who wants print anyway? It’s termite food 🥘 

DAL

Posts 202
David Owh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 5:07 PM

Thank you! Yes

WIN 10

Posts 397
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 5:13 PM

Thank you Faithlife ! Yes

Posts 3035
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 5:26 PM

Thank you!