Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 19 2018 7:17 AM
      וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים אֶת־הָאוֹר כִּי־טוֹב וַיַּבְדֵּל אֱלֹהִים בֵּין הָאוֹר וּבֵין הַחֹשֶׁךְ The Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text. (2008). (Ge 1:4). Francis I. Andersen; A. Dean Forbes. Genesis 1:4a. A couple of questions about וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים. So we have "And (He) Elohim saw …" We have to add ה the to the word, so we get ראה. What is the Hebrew Grammar rule that tells us to add this ה? That is my immediate question. Why was a ה added? Are there other examples with different words where the ה is missing? Besides the ה are there other letters in other grammatical constructions that are missing? How does one know?  My next question is, is there a way that I can search for the answer to such a question within my multiple Logos Hebrew grammars? Is there a Logos grammar resource by Scriptural verse, so that I can go to Genesis 1:4 and it would tell me the multiple grammar points that take place in that verse?    Thanks for the help. I would be most pleased to get a partial answer to any of these questions. Best wishes from Chile. 
Posts 67
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 9:57 AM

I'm not at my Logos computer right now, but I believe if you have any Hebrew grammars and you open the Exegetical guide, it should show you anywhere this passage is mentioned in the grammars that you have.

Posts 1016
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 10:40 AM

You may want to look at a discussion of Hebrew "weak" verbs.  When one of the root consonants of a verb is a guttural, it affects the way the verb is conjugated.  In this case, the final He drops off.  This can be massively confusing when you're looking up words in a lexicon, until you get used to it.  (Probably a bit like a non-native English speaker trying to understand why "singing a song" becomes "singin' a song" in some parts of the U.S.)

Posts 3217
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 10:50 AM

Gregorio Billikopf:
We have to add ה the to the word, so we get ראה. What is the Hebrew Grammar rule that tells us to add this ה? That is my immediate question. Why was a ה added?

It might be easier to understand the rules from the other direction. The conjugation is constructed from the root, so it's a case of the ה being dropped.

Grammars use different terminology for these cases. Some grammars refer to the types as:

• Strong - These are regular verbs, where all letters appear in all conjugations
  • Weak - These are irregular verbs where letters (נ ו י ח ה ע א) disappear in some conjugations.
  • Hollow - These are irregular verbs where the middle letter (י or ו) disappear in conjugations.

Other grammars break down the types into subtype (gizrah), using a 2-letter abbreviation. The first letter signifies the position in the root (פ is 1, ע is 2, ל is 3). Here are a few examples:

• פ"י would refer to a root that begins with י
  • ע"ו would refer to a root that has a ו as the middle letter
  • ל"ה would refer to a root that ends in ה (such as ראה)

The rules (that determine whether letters like an ה or י) is dropped, are based on these subtypes (gizrot, plural).

Grammars have lots of technical explanations for these rules.

Personally, I found it much easier to get a handle on Hebrew verbs from a far less technical standpoint, by watching some step-by-step videos by Rut Avni. She has a 15-part Hebrew verb video series on Youtube (as well as a Hebrew Verbs Step by Step book on Amazon).

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 1:29 PM

Thanks, I created a new page layout with my grammars. I found the word apocopated in relation to this issue of dropping a letter. That was fantastic, Thanks so much, Phil. 

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 1:33 PM

EastTN, this is very helpful. I will look up the details of the guttural and weak verbs, and see what I can find. This is precisely as you say, the difficulty in finding words in the lexicons. I suppose one builds a sixth sense for this sort of thing over time. 

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2018 1:36 PM

PetahChristian. Nice handle. These are great suggestions. Thanks for the grammatical explanations. Also thanks for pointing me to Rut Avni and her work. I plan to watch the YouTubes and order her book. Thanks so much. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS