Trying to get back to daily Logos use

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 22 2018 7:44 PM

Title summarizes my issues.  Struggling with in depth study over the last few weeks.  Was on a really good run with Logos, using it daily almost.  Now, I barely use it.  Looking for some advice on how to get back into it.  Anyone have seasons like this?  Perhaps it's a season of burn out for me.  I'm currently in three classes and running a website/YouTube channel.  But I'd just like to get back into a solid study routine.

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 8:50 PM

I use it in the following ways, which may help.

1) Phone, readings done on my train commute to work.  You could use the free ESV audio bible too, while traveling or exercising.

2) Tablet when at home reading, Bible study or church meetings.  

3) Desktop, when preparing sermons.  Looking up original meanings of words. Preaching from my tablet.

4) Set up a reading plan for a Biblical or other book

5) Prayer list feature

6) When marking papers or discipling students over the internet or phone.  It is really helpful in answering apolegetics questions

7) Can have several books open at once, NA28/and a good english translation(s).

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2018 6:31 PM

Thank you brother Phil!

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 401
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2018 3:49 AM

In many ways, desire is the handmaiden of duty. My advice for folk struggling to engage with reading the bible or Christian material is dive into something they find interesting. Logos is great for this. 

For example a few weeks ago I was struggling with both regular Bible reading and prayer. So I ran the following search: {Addressee <Person God>} INTERSECTS {Section <Culture Intercession (prayer)>}, {Section <PreachingTheme = Prayer>} OR {Section <PreachingTheme = Prayer: Intercession>}) created a passage list, and then turned that into a reading plan. 

Not only am I reading the bible again, the plan is easy to follow, can be accessed at home or away on my phone, the readings are varied and interesting (sparking my desire to read), and with a good devotional/pastoral commentary linked to it I'm motivated to learn, and based on my learning pray. 

Logos is great for thematic study, and whilst I wouldn't recommend it as Christian's constant diet, it is a good way of getting back to reading scripture and using Logos again.

Same principle for theological/Christian reading. What are you interested in at the moment? What sparks your desire to read and learn? Run some searches, make a passage list, AND/OR a reading plan.

Just a thought, hope it helps. 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 14
Paul Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 10:13 AM

I've been debating about responding to this question, for a couple days. On one hand, if you find a book that you really want to read, like I am somewhere in Mike Heiser's Unseen Realm, and I think about it. I want to read it. I just bought the rest of his collection. And having LOGOS you literally have thousands of books to read. So not reading from what you have invested in, bugs you (me).

On another hand, I can get so lost in looking at the LOGOS website and whats on sale,that the time that I would spend reading, I spend murking around the website and here on the forum.

You just have to commit some time to it, on a regular basis...

Posts 1383
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 10:21 AM

Brad you can set your self up with daily reading plans and layouts for certain studies to help stay in it daily. For me I use it a lot then I stop using it based on workload. I like doing an in-depth study with different topics. Turning it off helps me digest the information. Turning it off and spending time in meditation is a good thing 

Posts 6151
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2018 9:51 AM

Run a simple passage guide for a short verse and read the information available on your top 5 commentaries and whatever other literature the PG populates. Also do word studies using the exegetical guide. Try to dedicate 30 minutes as your random text devotional studies and take notes.

👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 41
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2018 4:56 PM

Hi Brad,

I know I have gone through periods like this.  Some things I have found helpful are:

1. Pray that the Lord would rekindle your desire for His word
  2. Take a day away.  Cast aside the electronic devices and get outside.  Do something different
  3. Expose yourself to some excellent Bible teaching.  I have a few favorites that I look up on YouTube or go to their website (after #2 of course!).  I usually find these guys to be motivating

These have worked for me.  Praying for you Brad!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS