A Catholic Introduction to the Old Testament

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
Br. Anthony | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 9 2018 9:26 AM

https://smile.amazon.com/Catholic-Introduction-Bible-Old-Testament/dp/1586177222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539102224&sr=8-1&keywords=catholic+introduction+to+the+old+testament

This resource would be amazing to have in Verbum.  I have the hard copy with over 950 pages(!) of actual text.  This blows any and all competition out of the water.  I can't wait for the NT volume!

Posts 24468
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 11:32 AM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5066
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 2:08 PM

It looks like a great resource I hope we can get in in Verbum.

-dan

Posts 116
Antonius | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2018 5:54 AM

I have it in hardback also.  It is fantastic! I think Brant Pitre is one of the best teachers of the Bible.  We need MORE Brant Pitre in Verbum.

It is such a great book that I can not begin to think of reasons why it is not available for us already.

I do wonder if Faithlife is holding back some new titles until Logos/Verbum 8 is released...

Posts 1716
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2018 6:28 AM

Antonius:
It is such a great book that I can not begin to think of reasons why it is not available for us already.

Is it correct to say that it was published on September 15, 2018?  That may be why it is not in Logos yet.

Can you and others tell us more about Brant Pitre and what you have enjoyed about this commentary, what is unique about it?  I read what it says on Amazon and it certainly seems to offer a unique perspective.  Anything to add to what is written there?

Thanks

Mark

Posts 57
Br. Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2018 6:51 AM

They say in the first chapter ("The Vision of this Book") that the book takes an "integrated" approach, "uniting exegesis and theology, faith and reason, Scripture and Tradition, and the Old and New Testaments."  The best part is that they actually do it and a lot of it (~965 pages).

Posts 4693
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2018 3:18 PM

Yes I would support if this was added as a pre-publication title.

Posts 13
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 6:25 AM

Mark:

Can you and others tell us more about Brant Pitre and what you have enjoyed about this commentary, what is unique about it?  I read what it says on Amazon and it certainly seems to offer a unique perspective.  Anything to add to what is written there?

One feature of this text that is particularly noteworthy (and which would be tremendous if integrated into Logos/Verbum) is the charts at the end of each chapter that list every passage from a given book that is used in the Lectionary (both for Sundays/Feast Days and for Daily Mass). See an example below:

Posts 1716
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 11:09 AM

All very interesting.  Seems like it would be a good addition to a Logos Library.  Hope others have some input.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee

Thank you Br. Anthony for this post and to all of you for your responses.

I am with all of you on the value of this book for Verbum.  Actually met and spent time with Brant in July at the Catholic Biblical Association's annual meeting.  He is a fantastic, engaging scholar and a stellar human being.  This and his other works are high on my list of titles to license for 2019.

Stay tuned....

Craig St. Clair | Verbum Product Manager |

Posts 2356
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 6:54 PM

Craig St. Clair (Faithlife):
Stay tuned....

YesYes

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS