Logos 7 highlights will not delete

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 7
G.E. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 10 2018 6:19 AM

I have a vast number of highlights and emphasis mark-ups.

A problem is that there are few markings that cannot be deleted ("undeletable markings") on the Mac using the ERASE clickable command.

Typically it takes sometimes a minute or so for all the markings to appear (perhaps because I have so many markings), however, these undeletable markings appear immediately on boot up of the software.

Those undeletable markings are synced between my various Mac computers, and I cannot delete them on any of the Macs.

I note that these undeletable markings are not synced to iPad iOS app, so I cannot use iOS to delete them either.

Any suggestions how I can delete these undeletable markings?

Posts 26328
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2018 7:26 AM

G.E.:
Any suggestions how I can delete these undeletable markings?

If they are truly highlight NOTES, then I would suggest deleting the note found in the appropriate document. 

Frequently users will have some sort of visual filter and/or search open, which creates a "highlight" effect... that is a different issue. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 7
G.E. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 12:34 AM

My main version is the ESV. I happened to note that these un-erasable highlights are said to be from the corresponding NKJV version. So I went to the NKJV, and see that these highlights are coming from there. I was able to erase them from there.

I did not realise that highlights, in one version, could display in other versions. When I highlight a portion of the text, and then click the color or mark-up, I've never seen an option for a highlight to display in all Bible versions?

Posts 20548
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 12:52 AM

G.E.:
I did not realise that highlights, in one version, could display in other versions. When I highlight a portion of the text, and then click the color or mark-up, I've never seen an option for a highlight to display in all Bible versions?

It's enabled / disable in the Visual Filter menu for the resource

So if, as per your example, you wanted to disable highlights coming through from the NKJV but allow them from elsewhere, you can select resources as required.

Posts 26328
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 4:23 AM

G.E.:
I did not realise that highlights, in one version, could display in other versions.

It is a fancy trick. 

Highlights are notes of "selection." That is to say, you select the surface text (down to a single character) and make the highlight. Many users were confused and desirous of having highlights show up in all translations... which doesn't make sense when you understand what highlighting is. FL created this trick using the underlying original language material. If you have a highlight on a word or phrase in one translation, you can make it seem to appear in another IF both translations have a Reverse Interlinear. Logos then says, "Greek word X is highlighted in the NKJV in John 3:16... show Greek word X as highlighted in the ESV too." As Graham mentioned, this can be turned off in the visual filter menu. 

Posts 7
G.E. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 3:45 PM

Thanks Graham and JT, but I still have not gotten resolution.

As background information to show my present understanding: I created a blue-color-highlight in the NKJV -- and this immediately showed up in the ESV. And I cannot delete the blue-highlight in the ESV, but I can delete that blue-highlight in the NKJV where it was originally created.

My problem remains:

- This cross-appearing of highlights in both the ESV and NKJV occurs, even when the "Resource" box is un-checked. i.e. I don't yet know how to stop the cross-appearing. I like the feature, but want to know how to turn it off when I need to.

- How come the masses of highlights in the ESV - which is my main text - do not appear in the NKJV, while the NKJV's highlights do appear in the ESV? It doesn't seen to work both ways.

In summary, while I like this cross-appearing feature, I want to know how to turn it off. And merely un-checking the "Resource" tickbox does not turn it off. I unticked the Resource box in both the ESV and NKJV.

Posts 26328
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 4:46 PM

G.E.:
even when the "Resource" box is un-checked.

That isnt the right box. You want to turn off "corresponding notes & highlights." 

Posts 7
G.E. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:07 PM

Thanks.

From me not realising this feature was there - and now seeing it - it's amazing software.

All my markings are in the ESV, and I had been contemplating going through a different translation to enter the markings (as a useful spiritual exercise), but suddenly the Logos 7 software does it with one button click. I'm staggered :)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS