BUG: 4.0cR4 (9511): Unexpected Search range for "Entire Bible"

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 20 2010 4:57 AM | Locked

Well, the graphic below tells the whole story, but some text will help ...

1) I created a custom book range of "Psalms" called "Psalms"

2)  I did a Bible Search for some words in this new range (Psalms)

3) I read many of the hits to the end of Psalms 150

4) For "fun" I typed "Psalm 151" into the Command Box, and it opened to NRSV as I expected

5) I read Psalm 151 then closed the NRSV

6) I clicked to change the range from "Psalms" to "Entire Bible" to see what other hits I might find

7) I was surprised to find it considered "Entire Bible" to be "Gen to 4 Macc" rather than the normal "Gen to Rev". At this time, NRSV was already closed.

I would have expected it to reset the range back to "Gen - Rev" as ESV and NIV were the only open bibles, and ESV is my current default Bible.

The NRSV was closed, but even if it was still open, that translation ends with Rev, and 4 Macc is before Matthew!

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 5:36 AM | Locked

You'd better hope Martha doesn't spot this thread! Big Smile

But you've clearly identified a bug. The "Common Divisions" is supposed to changed from version to version. It does, but it's very often wrong. I've checked most of my English Bibles, and they all list the Apocrypha, regardless whether that's available or not.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 9:14 AM | Locked

Jim Towler:

I would have expected it to reset the range back to "Gen - Rev" as ESV and NIV were the only open bibles, and ESV is my current default Bible.

The NRSV was closed, but even if it was still open, that translation ends with Rev, and 4 Macc is before Matthew!

I'll report this. Thanks.

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 9:15 AM | Locked

I see this too, but only for the ESV.  I checked NASB95 and NIV and KJV1900, and they all show "Gen-Rev", but when I switch it to ESV, it shows "Gen-4 Macc".

Perhaps the problem is in the ESV resource.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 32207
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 2:00 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
You'd better hope Martha doesn't spot this thread! Big Smile

Too late. But I'd covered myself on this one way back when ... a sample:

I'll be happy with the ability to share the Search Ranges so I can share the REAL common divisions. Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:22 AM | Locked

To follow up on the report about the Entire Bible search range, this is by design:

The default search ranges are based on the "data type" of the currently selected Bible(s). The ESV uses bible+esv, which includes the apocrypha after Revelation. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Standard_Version for more info about the ESV w/Apocrypha. (Our ESV resource does not currently include the Apocrypha.). In this case, the "Old and New Testament" search range may be more useful.

Note that the NIV uses the plain "bible" data type, which includes the Apocrypha between the Old and New Testaments. You can see the data type a Bible uses by looking at the "Indexes" section of the "About this resource" pane. There is an open case to possibly create a bible+niv data type that does not include the apocrypha.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS