Emerging Church

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3037
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 27 2018 6:14 AM

Can anyone recommend some resources that debate with the emerging church movement? Maybe background and then an apologetic.

mm.

mm.

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 6:47 AM

Here’s one: https://www.logos.com/product/27441/certainty-a-place-to-stand

DAL

9Marks journals have an issue dedicated to the emerging church, but it’s in a bundle:

https://www.logos.com/product/139064/9marks-journal-collection-2006-2016

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 9:29 AM

Dave Moser:

Wow, thanks, Dave! I just downloaded it 👍😁👌

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 11:58 AM

I had a professor as an undergraduate (~2004?) that was really taken with Brian D. McLaren and the emergent church. He never really sold me on it, but many many were.

The parts that I remembered that were of benefit was that church doesn't have to be in a traditional church building. Church can be in a coffee house, or an industrial complex, or store front.

The rest has faded away except a vague recollection of generally disagreeing. quick google search reveals Challies has written an article about Mclaren.

NOTE: Challies lumps a lot of folks under the banner of false teacher, including notable SDA folks, as well as pentecostals. Lumping them all together with Mormons, JW et al. But read what he says, compare it with scripture and make up your own mind :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10124
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 1:36 PM

Where two or more in My name ... gee, I forget. Sort of a hazy quote from someone.

I had an aunt visiting the berg north of us. My nephew's church there wasn't up to her required speed (same denomination), so they brought their own crackers and grape juice.

But googling, Piper's not too pleased; doesn't demand his professionals.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 2:44 PM

Denise:

Where two or more in My name ... gee, I forget. Sort of a hazy quote from someone.

I had an aunt visiting the berg north of us. My nephew's church there wasn't up to her required speed (same denomination), so they brought their own crackers and grape juice.

But googling, Piper's not too pleased; doesn't demand his professionals.

Indeed Piper is not:
https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/what-is-the-emerging-church

Says trying to figure their doctrine out is kinda like nailing jelly to a wall. lol

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 381
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:47 PM

Part of the problem is that the label 'Emergent Church' can be applied to a large range of churches / people / movements. Like most labels, they don't define a precise group of people, but more of a movement of a range of people. Some are very 'loose' with their theology and some would be conservative in theology but 'radical' in their ministry approaches. 

McClaren is often the poster child of emergence, and he has been one of the most visible and  easily criticized. He is hard to figure out theologically and is content with asking questions that he cannot answer. As often occurs, the movement is a reaction to traditional church (especially postreformation), responding to some valid issues, but can swing quickly to the other end of the pendulum.

Often, within the movement, it becomes less important to be precise as it it is a postmodern movement in contrast to the traditional evangelical modernity approach. The are more content to have unanswered questions as they continue to work through things in their life and ministry.

NT Wright and the new perspectives on Paul often is looked to as the movements theologian ( God's mission - is it more cultural transformation or personal? Did the emphasis on individual justification blur a mission that includes a cultural focus?)  (not sure if defining him as such is fair to him). 

Resources on New Perspectives of Paul. NT Wright books (also D G Dunn, Sanders, offer slightly different, but also new perspectives) provide a common underpinning of the new movement - at least at some level. It focuses on God's mission as cultural transformation as often minimized since the Reformation. A search for New Perspectives will give a wealth of resources for/against. The Gospel Coalition leaders provide excellent responses (Carson, Piper, 9Marks, etc.)

The churches / leaders of actual Emergent Churches (whatever that is) would include writings by McClaren, a number of California and Australian leaders (don't have ready access to their names at the moment).

This all is just my perspective of it all and is a bit dated - a read a lot from the various camps during the mid 2000s, so I might be off a bit now. If I am wrong, or you just disagree, please just comment on the data. I really don't feel the need to be attacked as can easily happen on this forum. I tried not to even state my opinion pro or con.

Posts 126
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 8:44 PM

If you have FaithlifeTV, there is an interesting 2h 17m documentary called "The Submerging Church".

The description is...

What are Emergent Church leaders teaching that has so many of our current generation tuned in to their "doctrine," but tuned out to holy scripture? How have Emergent leaders captured the hearts and minds of unsuspecting people all over the world, departing from many of the clear teachings, commandments and warnings found in the pages of the bible?

https://faithlifetv.com/items/550373

Posts 3037
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 9:12 PM

Thanks Wayne. It was that vid that sparked my interest in the EC. Half way thru it.

mm.

Wayne Clarke:

If you have FaithlifeTV, there is an interesting 2h 17m documentary called "The Submerging Church".

The description is...

What are Emergent Church leaders teaching that has so many of our current generation tuned in to their "doctrine," but tuned out to holy scripture? How have Emergent leaders captured the hearts and minds of unsuspecting people all over the world, departing from many of the clear teachings, commandments and warnings found in the pages of the bible?

https://faithlifetv.com/items/550373

mm.

Posts 416
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 2:08 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Conversant-Emerging-Church-Understanding/dp/0310259479 

"Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications" by D. A. Carson

Yet to come into Logos ecosystem...

Posts 1699
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2018 5:58 AM

Haven't most of those folks dispensed with the fig leaf and just call themselves liberals?

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS