Theology Guide

Page 1 of 7 (133 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 132 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 10
LogosEmployee
Kyle Biersdorff (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 28 2018 10:15 PM

The Theology Guide in Logos 8 provides a platform for theological study. Input a topic, navigate from one systematic theology to another, compare views, survey related references, and investigate corresponding theological topics.

We've prepared resources to introduce the Theology Guide here:

Feel free to use this Forum thread as a place to post questions and feedback.

Posts 29
Orville J Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:48 AM

I am beyond excited for this new feature! Would upgrade for this alone.

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:52 AM

What do you have to buy to get this Guide?

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:12 AM

Sean:

What do you have to buy to get this Guide?

It's included with the Full Feature Upgrade or a Faithlife Connect subscription - details at https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets 

A Silver Base package or above would include it.

Posts 1210
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 10:02 PM

This guide seems to consistently display results from "Strongs" systematic theology. Will other systematic theologies be added eventually (Grudem?) 

Posts 37
GCFSR | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 11:14 PM

Logos exits every time I click the picture in theology guide. Do you have same experience? Thanks.

Posts 1340
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 11:38 PM

No, when I click on the picture in the Theology Guide, it opens the same picture in a Media window. Not super helpful... I was expecting clicking on one of the other "stations" would bring up a Theology Guide of that other topic.

On a separate note, Kyle, under the "Recommended Reading" section, the entries are italicized. What does that mean? I was expecting them to be either "locked" (if I don't own the resource) or hyperlinked (if I own the resource). Please advise.

Very useful tool, nice job!

Peter

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:33 AM

PL:
under the "Recommended Reading" section, the entries are italicized. What does that mean? I was expecting them to be either "locked" (if I don't own the resource) or hyperlinked (if I own the resource). Please advise.

The entries are partly italicised, nameley the resource title. Author names and page numbers etc. are normal font. What I see are light grey open books for entries that are helpful as per the article's author, but are not linked in Logos. Dark grey open books are in my library, locked books are not. Of course, this will change with the various topics, so there could be an article with only open books for you, or possibly even with only grey ones.  

Do you see something different?

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 26282
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:41 AM

PL:
the entries are italicized. What does that mean?

In English, italics are the normal way to indicate the title of a book. Articles are indicated by quote marks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:17 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

This guide seems to consistently display results from "Strongs" systematic theology. Will other systematic theologies be added eventually (Grudem?) 

At the moment five systematic theology resources have been linked in:

1. Berkhof, Systematic Theology
  2. Packer, Concise Theology
  3. Ryrie, Basic Theology
  4. Hodge, Systematic Theology
  5. Strong, Systematic Theology

More are intended to be added over time.

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:21 AM

Graham Criddle:

1. Berkhof, Systematic Theology
  2. Packer, Concise Theology
  3. Ryrie, Basic Theology
  4. Hodge, Systematic Theology
  5. Strong, Systematic Theology

More are intended to be added over time.

Wow, only five so far? This is totally not ready for prime time.

Posts 26282
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:23 AM

Sean:
This is totally not ready for prime time.

Yes, and no ... and maybe maybe Smile By putting the framework out for us, they can roll out the dataset with more resources on a "whatever" schedule rather than being tied to a 6 week development schedule.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:30 AM

MJ. Smith:
Yes, and no ... and maybe maybe Smile By putting the framework out for us, they can roll out the dataset with more resources on a "whatever" schedule rather than being tied to a 6 week development schedule.

Well, because of this tool, FL will probably successfully extract a few hundred more dollars out of me than I had intended to spend on this upgrade cycle. I can understand not everything being in it yet, but it should be a little farther along than "barely started."

Posts 26282
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:46 AM

Sean:
. I can understand not everything being in it yet, but it should be a little farther along than "barely started."

I suspect that Logos expected to be a bit further along but the data updates should be free. It would be useful to know something about what resources in what order will be added. But open this resource: Ward, Mark, Jessica Parks, Brannon Ellis, and Todd Hains, eds. Lexham Survey of Theology. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2018. and you'll see that the major work was not aligning the 5 resources we have.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 3:14 AM

Graham Criddle:

Just to clarify this. There are several sections in the Theology Guide. Recommended Reading is a hand-curated bibliography for every theological topic. It will include resources you already own, and those you may not. It's is selective, broad and can be considered "finished".

There's also a section that searches your own library for tagged resources related to that topic. It's this section that only contains the small handful of systematic theologies that were referenced earlier.  But truthfully, it's possibly a less useful section because it's not hand-curated.

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 3:19 AM

Mark Barnes:
Just to clarify this.

Thanks for clarifying Mark. I had made some assumptions about what was being asked that might not have been correct!

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 3:27 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mark Barnes:
Just to clarify this.

Thanks for clarifying Mark. I had made some assumptions about what was being asked that might not have been correct!

I don’t think there was anything wrong with your answer. But I just wanted to make clear people who don’t yet have access to the Guide there were other sections in addition to the one Mike asked about.

Posts 686
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 4:30 AM

So as with almost everyone we are lacking "Israelology" in the big scheme of systematics.

Shalom

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 5:10 AM

Kyle B

I notice in the video two other guides - Biblical Place and Historical Theology.  Are these future guides that are coming out, or user defined?

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 5:16 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
Biblical Place

Biblical Place is a workflow

Page 1 of 7 (133 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS