Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 10:45 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Star or remove a commentary to mark it as helpful/unhelpful for the passage

Could "mark as helpful" (or something similar) be included in the exegetical sermon WORKFLOW?  I'm thinking whenever I study a particular passage there are certain commentaries that I consult for every sermon and there would be certain commentaries that I consult for a particular passage.

Perhaps the "consult commentaries" section of the workflow could be divided into my collections with 2 checkboxes next to each resource - I checkbox could be "read/unread" and the other could be "helpful/unhelpful". [personally I would use CLIPPINGS to collect the portions that I find helpful, but other users may not use/be familiar with clippings.]

This way, whenever I resume my workflow I could easily identify the commentaries that I've already consulted for this message. 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2
Gary Jarvis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 11:25 AM

I want to thank Adam Borries and the team of Developers who were able to create a workaround for the notes in my logos 7 guides that disappeared in the upgrade.  All of the notes are there now and in a way, I can navigate them and find them.  It is not ideal ongoing, but it will do fine in the short-term.  I do look forward to when the Guides and notes are integrated again in a few months.  That will be awesome.  In the meantime, this issue forced me to learn about the new Workflows, and I think that feature is fantastic and I really like how easy it is to set up my own workflows for the way I study and prepare for sermons.  I think in the end the changes will be much better than what was in Logos 7, it just might take a little bit more time to get there.

Posts 3
Nathan Rice | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 6:22 AM

Adam, thanks for the update. I appreciate your willingness to openly discuss  

I am a pastor and as part of my sermon prep, I try to study at least 20-30 commentaries from my library.

I loved the "Mark as Helpful" feature from Logos 7, because that was a way I could keep track of which commentaries I had already read. I would star these commentaries in the Sermon Starter guide as I moved through my studies. I Now that this feature is gone, I feel a bit lost in Logos.

Could you either bring the feature back or tell me another way to keep track of what I've studied- other than pen and paper? I'll check out tutorials on the new notes features. It will be very hard to replace the simplicity and accessibility of the saved guides.

Perhaps very few users used the saved guides, but those that did found them to be immensely helpful? Please keep us in mind as you consider our sermon prep times! :)

Posts 7
Torrey Porter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:40 AM

Nathan Rice:

I am a pastor and as part of my sermon prep, I try to study at least 20-30 commentaries from my library.

I loved the "Mark as Helpful" feature from Logos 7, because that was a way I could keep track of which commentaries I had already read. I would star these commentaries in the Sermon Starter guide as I moved through my studies. I Now that this feature is gone, I feel a bit lost in Logos.

Adam this is exactly how several Pastors at our church kept track as well :(

I would star them in the Passage Guide.....

Please advise a work around or the new solution.....

Torrey Porter

Posts 595
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 2:03 PM

I never used saved guides, and from what you just described, it seems to be a timewaster.  Maybe I just don't know enough about it.

I did star commentaries that were helpful, and the stars showed up if I did a new guide search, and I was happy for that.

I was so disappointed that they weren't a part of Logos 8, I asked customer service if I could run Logos 7 as a separate program.  The answer was no.

He walked me though the favorites thing, and I didn't see the value of that.  That could fill up very quickly with hundreds of resources.  Would there be some way to sort them by passage or search criteria.  Just a lot of extra work, where you could just stat a commentary and be done with it.

The feature needs to be expanded so that whenever you do a search, you can somehow mark a resource as either being read, useful, not useful,etc.  If you are doing research or a sermon, you will be repeating searches or guides, and you will end up looking at books you already went through before.  A softwareprogram is supposed to save your time and not waste it.

I worked through my monographs so I will be using them a lot more in my passage guide.  Here it would be really helpful to be able to mark them in some way after I look at one.  This would save a lot of time.

Thank you

Larry

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS