monographs and Biblical theologies

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2018 7:53 AM

I have been working on my monographs to make them more useful.  Part of that is by putting them into smaller collections.

Biblical theologies are classified as monographs in Logos, but they are also part of a pre-made collection like Systematic Theologies.  

The problem with monographs is that there are so many.  I'm finding that some of these smaller collections of monographs that I am creating contain Biblical theologies, so when I do, say, a passage guide search, a book appears in two results sections when it's probably better it appears only in one.  If Logos categorizes Biblical theologies the same way as it does Systematic Theologies, I can add it to a second collection if I wish, but that is an option I think best left to the user.  

There is no way that I can see what books are already in Biblical without running, say, a passage guide search, see what books show up, keep a record of them, check mytags to see if it already appears in another guide and adjust it accordingly. 

Logos exists to make study time more productive.  I think calling Biblical Theology books in the premade Logos collection Biblical Theology and not monographs will do that.

Thank you.

Logos already creates some coll

Posts 997
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 8:04 AM

Good news!

Beginning on December 2nd, all new resources going into production on or after that date will be evaluated for a new resource type: Biblical Theology.

Essentially resources that qualified for our Biblical Theology dataset will  be explicitly identified by this resource type.

Our plan is to update the resources that are already feeding the Biblical Theology dataset to this new resource type.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 8:06 AM

thank you

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 1:23 PM

I realized that having a list of what books are classified as biblical theology would help me a lot to clean up my collections so I don't have multiple books in collections that don't need to be there.

I called customer service, and they said no.  Can I add this to my suggestion?

Thank you

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:18 PM

Larry,

I ran a passage guide on passages that almost every resource used by the Biblical Theology section would have something on... Rom 8.28..etc.

I then compared it to my Biblical Theology collection and just manually removed the books that were duplicates.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:37 PM

OK, I don't know how you did that.  Where did you get your biblical theology collection from?  It had to be one you created yourself.  But that doesn't mean that you would have all the books that Logos has in theirs.

Regardless, I have the answer.  When they create this new biblical theology collection, when I sort by type in the library, there should now be a separate biblical theology section.

Thank you for working on this.  I really appreciate it.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 3:59 PM

You did say December 2, right?   I'm wayyyy-ting.

Posts 997
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:00 AM

Larry Craig:

You did say December 2, right?   I'm wayyyy-ting.

Sorry about that. Obviously I didn't explain myself very well.

I meant qualifying resources going into production after December 2nd will have this resource type.

I've got a list ready of old title and they'll be updated fairly soon (I'm guessing in the next month). The criteria for those will be, generally speaking, "Is it in the Biblical Theology data base?"

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:15 AM

My understanding of what you wrote is that the book currently categorized under 'biblical theology' would be labeled such in Logos, so that if I sorted my library by type, there would be a category called biblical theology, and I would know immediately all the books in that category.

I am trying to make better use of my monographs, so I have set up several collections to use in my passage guide.  I would like to be able to exclude biblical theology books from those other collections to cut down on the size of my search results.  No duplicate results.

I have been doing some now, but it's time consuming.  I was hoping Logos would save me the work.  They already have systematic theology.

Thank you.

Posts 997
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:38 AM

Larry Craig:

My understanding of what you wrote is that the book currently categorized under 'biblical theology' would be labeled such in Logos, so that if I sorted my library by type, there would be a category called biblical theology, and I would know immediately all the books in that category.

I am trying to make better use of my monographs, so I have set up several collections to use in my passage guide.  I would like to be able to exclude biblical theology books from those other collections to cut down on the size of my search results.  No duplicate results.

I have been doing some now, but it's time consuming.  I was hoping Logos would save me the work.  They already have systematic theology.

Thank you.

Great. I think we're on the same page. This is what we're aiming to do.

December 2nd is the start date for new resources. i.e. six months from now if you buy a new Introduction to New Testament Theology book, it would be classified as a Biblical Theology.

For all of those titles that are currently classified as a monograph but should be this new Biblical Theology resource type will be switch over in their classification in the next month. i.e. it'll no longer be a monograph it'll be a Biblical Theology type. This should make it much, much easier for collections.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:57 PM

thank you

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2019 10:17 AM

Is this still coming?  I keep looking for it, but it's not there.

Any update on the timeline?

Thank you

Posts 997
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:51 AM

Larry Craig:

Is this still coming?  I keep looking for it, but it's not there.

Any update on the timeline?

Thank you

Sorry. No update to report. It's taking longer to get going on this than I hoped.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS