search question that ought to be easy but discovering not so much

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 552
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2018 6:16 PM

weird search - find all verse with certain number of words in a given English bible version (NT)

Posts 26310
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2018 6:45 PM

Not as weird as trying to define "word" Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 552
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2018 7:00 PM

or "verse"

Posts 552
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 12:56 PM

anyone?

beuller?

Posts 26310
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 1:06 PM

Sorry - there is no obvious starting place to try to work out a solution from and I don't have enough spare time to spend on it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 10:18 PM

Brent Hoefling:

find all verse with certain number of words in a given English bible version (NT)

I can't think of a good way to do this in Logos.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 12:24 PM

Brent Hoefling:

weird search - find all verse with certain number of words in a given English bible version (NT)

What are you ultimately looking for or what is your aim?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 552
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 12:25 PM

I can't think of a good way to do this in Logos.

I have been doing some research and trials... wildcards such as "?" or "*" probably can be used in finding anything that is a word; as there is apparently no search variable for finding any word (based on a given translation).

I think the biggest issue is that there is no search variable for what a verse is.

and here I was, over here thinking that L8 is "powerful"...

Posts 552
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 12:33 PM

Beloved:

What are you ultimately looking for or what is your aim?

For a kind of obtuse need. I want to find all the verses in NT of the ESV Bible that have exactly 8 words (in English and regardless of the number in manuscript original language).

All the 8-word, new testament verses in ESV. Regardless of the words, as long as the verse has 8 of them.

Kind of a project more than a bible/word study.

A simple trial would be to find all the verses in the NT that have 2 words. (should find "Jesus wept", jn 11 35, as example)

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 4:05 PM

Brent Hoefling:
For a kind of obtuse need. I want to find all the verses in NT of the ESV Bible that have exactly 8 words

If it is truly important to you. The only way I see that you can accomplish this is by simple inspection. To test the feasibility of this I started with the shortest book in the NT Pm 1-25 and found no 8 word verses, so you may eliminate this candidate. I wish you success. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 17911
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 4:29 PM

Beloved:
The only way I see that you can accomplish this is by simple inspection.

Inspection idea is one verse per line with column narrow enough so longer verses have more than one line. 1901 ASV has two verse candidates in Ephesians 5: verse 10 has two words hyphenated while verse 16 has eight words (verse 7 has seven words)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 7:17 PM

Brent Hoefling:
All the 8-word, new testament verses in ESV.

Not Logos-centric, but this could be done by exporting the ESV NT on a one-verse-per-line basis into MS Excel, then separating the verses in the 'A' cell into separate cells with some programming. I've done that trick in the past but can't remember the commands off the top of my head.

Once the lines have one word per cell, you can sort by length and have a list of all the lines that are 8 cells long.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 7:39 PM

Brent Hoefling:
I think the biggest issue is that there is no search variable for what a verse is.

Hmmm... I could see such a variable having somewhat broader application.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 8:13 PM

Doc B:
Not Logos-centric, but this could be done by exporting the ESV NT on a one-verse-per-line basis into MS Excel

Since there's no Logos solution... I did basically this in about 20 mins (mostly Googling). So no checks, validation, or guarantees of any kind. ESV text is not generally avail, but I found an xml file of the ESV. Can't vouch for it or revision, etc. Also Googled a formula online to count words in a cell because I'm lazy. Results are in the Excel file below which you can filter to find what you need. I have removed the text of the ESV from the file for copyright reasons. The file contains only Book, Chapter#, Verse#, Word Count.

3644.ESV - Words Per Verse.zip

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Brent Hoefling:
All the 8-word, new testament verses in ESV. Regardless of the words, as long as the verse has 8 of them.

I ran a script against the ESV in Logos and produced this list:

7725.esv.txt

Posts 552
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 4:33 AM

thank you all for your assistance and the results.

I am disappointed that this wasn't something that could be done in Logos, though.

again, perfect, and thank you.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:35 AM

Brent Hoefling:
I am disappointed that this wasn't something that could be done in Logos,

Apparently, it was (see Bradley's post).

Randy, I'll consider you an Excel guru...you did it in about two-and-a-half hours faster than I could.

I'd love to know exactly what Bradley did, but then I likely couldn't understand it anyway. Confused

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2070
LogosEmployee

Doc B:
I'd love to know exactly what Bradley did

Developers have access to developer-only tools that let us run scripts within the running application. This allows us to programmatically access data in the application. It's pretty much the equivalent of exporting the verses to Excel and counting the words without having to use Excel.

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 10:33 AM

I have often wished for a SQL language-like interface. It would've been easy with that, too! Smile

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 12:08 PM

Lew Worthington:

I have often wished for a SQL language-like interface. It would've been easy with that, too! Smile

Yes, a natural language interface to the database would be an exciting addition to the capabilities of L8! What is the feasibility of implementing this feature?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS