English Translations of Patrologiæ Græcæ

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 22 2018 3:26 PM

I'm really appreciating the recent download of Patrologiæ Græcæ. Thanks Faithlife!

I'm poking around reading Clement of Rome in Greek. I'm using the Information panel to help with translation but would also like to reference an English translation alongside. Is there an English translation that I can use that is currently available in Logos or does anyone have any suggestions how to do this?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 4:19 PM

Use the parallel resources button to show you your options. My copy doesn't seem to have downloaded. BTW most of what Migne attributes to Clement of Rome has been attributed to others ... Also see https://topics.logos.com/Clement_of_Rome 

Edit: now its there

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 5:13 PM

MJ. Smith:
Use the parallel resources button to show you your options

Thanks MJ. What am I missing? As you can see below it says there are no parallel resources. Also, which English resource would most closely match, especially? I have not spent a lot of time in the early church fathers but I'd like to spend more.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 5:22 PM

Bruce Dunning:
As you can see below it says there are no parallel resources.

I can see what I missed now. You put "I Clement 1" in the find box which I didn't do in the image above. Can you explain why I have to do this and not simply choose "parallel resources" like I initially did?

Posts 908
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 5:55 PM

Hi Bruce,

I'm not seeing any "parallel resource" indicator in Verbum.  Maybe a software issue?  Tagging issue?

?

Posts 80
Kevin Wang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 6:13 PM

How did you guys get your versions so early? When I go to my "Open Pre-Pubs" the status only says "Under Contract." Thanks! 

Posts 908
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 6:30 PM

Kevin Wang:

How did you guys get your versions so early? When I go to my "Open Pre-Pubs" the status only says "Under Contract." Thanks! 

Not sure how the timing works.  It was part of some of the new Verbum/Logos 8 Libraries.

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 6:50 PM

Deacon Steve:

Hi Bruce,

I'm not seeing any "parallel resource" indicator in Verbum.  Maybe a software issue?  Tagging issue?

I initially did the same thing as you. You need to put 1 Clement 1 in the location box as illustrated in MJs post. See my post above. To me it seems like it should work without doing this but obviously it doesn't.

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 6:52 PM

Deacon Steve:

Hi Bruce,

?

Sorry for answering so quickly without fully understanding what you are saying. I see you are missing the icon for parallel resources. I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Posts 9916
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 7:05 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I initially did the same thing as you. You need to put 1 Clement 1 in the location box as illustrated in MJs post. See my post above. To me it seems like it should work without doing this but obviously it doesn't.

I'm still in the Model A world, but if 8=7, then it's where the position is in the resource. Likely, it's on the heading. Especially, a resource sub-heading, If you click in the lower body it identifies the part of Clement. I've complained previously, and they shrugged. So, it goes.

Now, if 8<>7, please ignore.

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 8:05 PM

Denise:
I'm still in the Model A world

Sometimes I think I envy this simplicity, but only for a moment or two. Wink

Denise:
if 8=7, then it's where the position is in the resource. Likely, it's on the heading. Especially, a resource sub-heading, If you click in the lower body it identifies the part of Clement.

That makes the most sense to me. I'm guessing you are correct.

Denise:
I've complained previously

I'm still choose to be optimistic. Smile

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 8:37 PM

You have to be in the actual text to have parallels ... just like in the Bible where the preface has no parallels. You also have to select using the data type rather than the page number as the key. (drop down option in the location box).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 8:42 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Also, which English resource would most closely match, especially?

Probably Rick Brannan's. My personal preference is The Letter of St. Clement to the Corinthians | The Apostolic Fathers (Glimm)

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 8:47 PM

Denise:
I'm still in the Model A world, but if 8=7, then it's where the position is in the resource. Likely, it's on the heading. Especially, a resource sub-heading, If you click in the lower body it identifies the part of Clement. I've complained previously, and they shrugged. So, it goes.

You are correct - you have to be positioned in the text and using the datatype index not page numbers ... then it is automatic which is why it didn't occur to me to mention it. The same is true in Bibles where forum users are in the preface and ask why no parallels. I chose 1 Clement for my example because it is the only work consistently attributed to Clement ... all the others have other provenances as I've documented in reading lists.

Posts 13120
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 11:40 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I'm poking around reading Clement of Rome in Greek. I'm using the Information panel to help with translation but would also like to reference an English translation alongside. Is there an English translation that I can use that is currently available in Logos or does anyone have any suggestions how to do this?

1 Clement is available in several English translations. Here's chapter 37 in a variety of them:

FOTC: Brothers, let us be His soldiers, therefore, in all earnestness, under His faultless commands. 2 Let us consider those who are enrolled under our rulers, how well-ordered, and how readily, how obediently they carry out commands. 3 Not all are prefects, or tribunes, or centurions, or in charge of bands of fifty, and so forth; but each one in his own rank1 carries out the commands issued by the emperor and the officers. 4 The great cannot exist without the small, nor the small without the great; there is a certain organization, and it is of benefit to all. 5 Let us take our body.2 The head without the feet is nothing, and so also the feet without the head are nothing. The smallest members of our body are necessary and useful to the whole body. But all conspire together and unite in a single obedience, so that the whole body may be saved.

ACW: Let us, then, brethren, do soldier’s duty in downright earnest under the banner of His glorious commands. 2 Let us observe those who are soldiering under our commanders, and see how punctually, how willingly, how submissively they execute the commands! 3 Not all are prefects, or tribunes, or centurions, or lieutenants, and so on; but each in his own rank111 executes the orders of the emperor and the commanders. 4 The great cannot exist without the small, nor can the small without the great. A certain organic unity binds all parts, and therein lies the advantage. 5 Let us take our body.112 The head is nothing without the feet, and the feet are nothing without the head. The smallest organs of our body are necessary and valuable to the whole body; in fact, all parts conspire and yield the same obedience toward maintaining the whole of the body.

Brannan: Therefore let us wage war, men and brothers, with all earnestness under his faultless commands. 2 Let us consider those who serve as soldiers under those who rule us, how precisely, how readily, how subserviently they fulfill their orders. 3 Not all 1 are prefects or military tribunes or centurions or commanders of fifty or the like, but each 2 in his own rank carries out what is commanded by the king and the rulers. 4 The great ⌊cannot exist⌋ 3 without the small, nor the small without the great. There is a certain combination among all, and usefulness lies in this. 5 Let us take our body, the head is nothing without the feet, likewise ⌊the feet are nothing⌋ 4 without the head. Even the smallest parts of our body are necessary and useful to the whole body, but all work together and experience a mutual subjection, to save the whole body.

Holmes:  37. Let us, therefore, serve as soldiers, brothers, with all earnestness under his faultless orders. (2) Let us consider the soldiers who serve under our commanders, how precisely, how readily, how obediently they execute orders. (3) Not all are prefects or tribunes or centurions or captains of fifty and so forth, but each in his own rank96 executes the orders given by the emperor and the commanders. (4) The great cannot exist without the small, nor the small without the great. There is a certain blending in everything, and therein lies the advantage. (5) Let us take our body as an example. The head without the feet is nothing; likewise, the feet without the head are nothing. Even the smallest parts of our body are necessary and useful to the whole body, yet all the members work together and unite in mutual subjection, that the whole body may be saved.

Lightfoot: 37. Let us therefore enlist ourselves, brethren, with all earnestness in His faultless ordinances. Let us mark the soldiers that are enlisted under our rulers, how exactly, how readily, how submissively, they execute the orders given them. All are not prefects, nor rulers of thousands, nor rulers of hundreds, nor rulers of fifties, and so forth; but each man in his own rank executeth the orders given by the king and the governors. The great without the small cannot exist, neither the small without the great. There is a certain mixture in all things, and therein is utility. Let us take our body as an example. The head without the feet is nothing; so likewise the feet without the head are nothing: even the smallest limbs of our body are necessary and useful for the whole body: but all the members conspire and unite in subjection, that the whole body may be saved.

Lake: 1 LET us then serve in our army, brethren, with all earnestness, following his faultless commands.  2 Let us consider those who serve our generals, with what good order, habitual readiness, and submissiveness they perform their commands.  3 Not all are prefects, nor tribunes, nor centurions, nor in charge of fifty men, or the like, but each carries out in his own rank the commands of the emperor and of the generals.  4 The great cannot exist without the small, nor the small without the great; there is a certain mixture among all, and herein lies the advantage.  5 Let us take our body; the head is nothing without the feet, likewise the feet are nothing without the head; the smallest members of our body are necessary and valuable to the whole body, but all work together and are united in a common subjection to preserve the whole body.

PS — If you want to compare translations you can use Text Comparison. It's not just for Bibles. Text comparison or Power Lookup are also the best ways of finding out exactly which resources are truly parallel (the parallel resources menu sometimes gives false positives). If you want to know truly parallel resources restricted to the current language, then the + tab is best for that.

Posts 13120
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2018 11:46 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Sorry for answering so quickly without fully understanding what you are saying. I see you are missing the icon for parallel resources. I'm not sure why that would be the case.

This is a long standing bug.

1. If you open a resource to a place that doesn't have a parallel (e.g. a heading, or preface, for example), no parallel resource menu will be shown.
  2. If you later move the resource to a place that then does have a parallel, the menu will appear.
  3. If you then move back to the place that didn't have a parallel, the menu remains, but shows no results.

(1) and (3) should be consistent IMO.

Posts 2942
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2018 5:29 AM

Mark Barnes:

This is a long standing bug.

1. If you open a resource to a place that doesn't have a parallel (e.g. a heading, or preface, for example), no parallel resource menu will be shown.
  2. If you later move the resource to a place that then does have a parallel, the menu will appear.
  3. If you then move back to the place that didn't have a parallel, the menu remains, but shows no results.

(1) and (3) should be consistent IMO.

Have you reported it?

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2018 11:59 AM

MJ. Smith:
You have to be in the actual text to have parallels ... just like in the Bible where the preface has no parallels. You also have to select using the data type rather than the page number as the key. (drop down option in the location box).

Thanks for clarifying what I was concluding.

MJ. Smith:

Bruce Dunning:
Also, which English resource would most closely match, especially?

Probably Rick Brannan's. My personal preference is The Letter of St. Clement to the Corinthians | The Apostolic Fathers (Glimm)

Both recommendations are helpful. Thank you.

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2018 12:02 PM

Mark Barnes:
If you want to compare translations you can use Text Comparison. It's not just for Bibles.

Thanks for pointing this out. I tend to naturally think that Text Comparison is for Bibles only. I will definitely be using this feature.

Mark Barnes:
Text comparison or Power Lookup are also the best ways of finding out exactly which resources are truly parallel (the parallel resources menu sometimes gives false positives).

I hardly ever use Power Lookup so this is helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS