Finding Proper Names

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Logan Stewart | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 26 2018 4:21 PM

As part of some sermon preparation, I am trying to find all of the instances of proper names in a given book of the Bible. I don't want one specific name, but every time a proper name appears in that book. Is there a search that would allow me to do that? 

Posts 1471
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 11:43 PM

Hi Logan and welcome to the forums!

If you are trying to accomplish this in an Old Testament book, then it's quite simple:

1. Select Morph Search
  2. Select an OT book (this will limit the morphology to Lexham Hebrew Morph)
  3. Select a Bible which has OT Interlinear data based on LHB
  4. Type "@" to bring up the selection dialogue (you can continue typing if you know which character to use; in this case "@np")

If you're wishing to do this in the NT, it's not quite as straight forward since it seems like the Logos Greek Morphology doesn't include proper/common distinction for nouns.

I can think of two other ways to get to this data (both require an internet connection). The first is through the Bible Browser and the second is through a Morph Query Document. Both ways seem to be exposing bugs so I'll investigate further...

Posts 1471
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 2:25 AM

Logan, I've created two threads concerning the problems I found with Bible Browser and Morph Query Documents. See this thread for the former and this one for the latter. Note: I posted in the beta forum since I'm running the beta version.

Posts 17632
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 12:54 PM

Logan Stewart:
... every time a proper name appears in that book. Is there a search that would allow me to do that? 

Welcome Big Smile

Search suggestion is: (Morph Proper Noun in Old Testament OR Greek Syntactic Force in New Testament)

([field bible, content] <LogosMorphHeb ~ NP???>) OR ([field bible, content] <LogosMorphAram ~ NP???>) OR {Section <SGNTSyntacticForce = prop. name>}

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS