Delete books in the library actually, not hide

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2695
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 7:07 AM

Dave Hooton:
Rebuilding the index will remove them

Raises a question: Does the rebuild *necessarily* have to be initiated manually by the stated command? Or when Logos does its indexing when new resources are added, does this happen by default?

I ask because I obtained one of the classics libraries to get five or six items I wanted. The library came with those plus five or six hundred I didn't want, and I hid those, about seven years ago. So have these been part of the index all that time, or has the automatic re-indexing fixed the problem?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 969
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 9:46 AM

This seems like something a user should reasonably expect to be able to do with a personal book. It shouldn't require a different file format.  All that the system needs to know is that it's a personal book rather than an official resource.  Then the "license" could be removed and/or the id freed.

Posts 62
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 10:02 AM

Doc B:

Dave Hooton:

Raises a question: Does the rebuild *necessarily* have to be initiated manually by the stated command? Or when Logos does its indexing when new resources are added, does this happen by default?

I ask because I obtained one of the classics libraries to get five or six items I wanted. The library came with those plus five or six hundred I didn't want, and I hid those, about seven years ago. So have these been part of the index all that time, or has the automatic re-indexing fixed the problem?

Doc B, yes, the rebuild would have to be initiated manually, it does not happen by default.

Posts 9544
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:34 PM

Doc B:

Dave Hooton:

To add on what Joe confirmed: the automatic indexing when adding a new resource is two steps:

• indexing the new resource
  • merging this index into the existing index of existing resources

The second part btw. is the one that takes the time and effort. But you see, the existing index is not thrown away or rebuild during those steps, new index information is only added.

If you rebuild the index manually, however, it will only build the index on the resources you currently have on your HD, thus exclude those you have hidden. For those who lost access to a large number of resources (such as a large trial), it may be helpful to use the command delete unlicensed resources prior to rebuilding the index (will in effect be like hiding all resources you don't have a license for) 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1887
LogosEmployee

NB.Mick:

If you rebuild the index manually, however, it will only build the index on the resources you currently have on your HD, thus exclude those you have hidden. For those who lost access to a large number of resources (such as a large trial), it may be helpful to use the command delete unlicensed resources prior to rebuilding the index (will in effect be like hiding all resources you don't have a license for) 

Rebuilding the index will build the index on resources you currently have on your HD that you currently have a license for. Using the delete unlicensed resources command will have no effect on what resources will be included in the index. It's still useful for removing files that are no longer owned.

Posts 9544
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 4:19 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 11
Chris Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 12:34 AM

i hid the books in the library, however i still see the hidden books when i create a new tab in the toolbar. How to hide these books too? please advise. thanks very much 

Posts 26616
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 4:52 AM

Chris Chan:
i still see the hidden books when i create a new tab in the toolbar. How to hide these books too? please advise.

Please create a screenshot so that we can "see" what you are seeing. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 11
Chris Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 6:11 AM

Posts 26616
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 6:30 AM

Did you rebuild your index? 

Posts 11
Chris Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 6:33 AM

yes,delete the index files, refresh and rebuild

Posts 10331
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 8:31 AM

Chris Chan:

yes,delete the index files, refresh and rebuild

Did you quit and restart Logos after hiding the books?

Posts 11
Chris Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 8:41 AM

Yes, and rebooted the computer 

Posts 26616
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 1:16 PM

I wonder if the history or catalog .db files need to be rebuilt... 

Posts 11
Chris Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 10:24 PM

delete the files manually and rebuild again? Please advise, thanks 

Posts 2810
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 7:13 AM

Chris Chan:

just want to see any completely "clean" option.
Thanks Graham. 

I agree.  It is one of several real flaws in the program.  Despite such inconvenient flaws, I stick with Logos.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1887
LogosEmployee

Chris Chan:

Those entries come from your recent history. The only way to clear these out is to open up the History tool, and use the Clear button to remove them all. Note that this will clear all your history. There is no way to clear out just certain items in your history.

Posts 11
Chris Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 5:49 PM

i deleted the db and rebuild, it works. thanks 

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS