Phrase search involving KAI

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Bill Glass | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 1 2019 12:55 PM

I need to do a search with the following parameters sto see if there is grammatical support for the trichotomy position:

Three or more substances, each with the article in any case: be they nouns (all types- sing. pl. abstract concrete proper improper personal impersonal) as well as participles and adjectives connected by KAI.  I have seen several such syntactical patterns and I feel there may be a grammatical rule in that in every case I have seen all the substances are distinct and related to a previous substance by either defining, explaining or expanding the previous substance (ex. baptismal formula Matt 28:19; all that is in the world 1 John 2:16; the animals on the sheet in Peter's vision Acts 11:16; the three witnesses in 1 John 5:7-8).  This all relates to the trichotomy issue as the same syntactical structure occurs in 1 Thess 5:23 regarding being sanctified in body, soul and spirit).    I need to be able to do a complete search to see if there are any exceptions.  If not then I would write an article and formulate the rule that when 3 or more substances each having the article and connected by KAI that all three are distinct but related items that define, explain or expand the previous substance. Thus there would be grammatical support for the trichotomy position. 

My email is bnglass@goeaston.net

Phone 410-829-0048

Thank you for your help as to how to set up this search.

Dr. Bill Glass

Posts 21369
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 1:26 PM

Hi Bill - and welcome to the forums

Bill Glass:
Three or more substances, each with the article in any case: be they nouns (all types- sing. pl. abstract concrete proper improper personal impersonal) as well as participles and adjectives connected by KAI.

Try a syntax search as below.

Note it doesn't find 1 John 2:16 - looking at the text (bottom right) there are two particle-noun pairs between the second and third kai and I didn't know how you would want to factor that in.

I've shared the search document so you can download it and use as a starting point - to do this go to the "Public" areas of the Docs menu

Hope this helps - and I recommend editing your original post and removing your email address to minimise the risk of it being picked up by spam bots.

Graham

Posts 21369
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 2:31 AM

Hi Bill

Thinking about this further I spotted a mistake in my original search - in word 4 I had article instead of adjective. I've corrected it and reshared the search

I also looked at doing something similar with a Morph Query Doc.

I noted that the results were slightly different - and it is due to them querying different texts.

The Syntax Search (working on the Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament) returns a hit for Mark 9:2 whereas the Morph Query Doc (working on SBLGNT) does not.

One has an article in the text while the other doesn't

It seems as though there is a textual criticism question here

Worth keeping in mind.

Graham

Posts 5
Bill Glass | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 11:29 AM

Thank you

Bill

Posts 5
Bill Glass | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2019 11:38 AM

Hi Graham,

I am having some problems navigating in LOGOS to get to the site where I can download the search as a starting point.  Not sure if I am in the right place as it doesn't give me an option for public.  Also in trying to set up the search I do not have an option for "wrap".   My only options are: d\sentence, clause, frame, phrase and word. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS