How to search ONLY article titles in my dictionaries collection?

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:49 AM

Dave Hooton:

Its Textual search results are based on matching "all Word Forms". But when you run its Text query the results will depend on your setting if you re-use a Search tab ie. "Send Searches here".  If you don't do that you may get the expected results.  So that's another bug for BWS!

EDIT: the results depend on settings in the last Search! This is confusing because nobody really knows the last search they did and why should it be relevant? See http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_BWS_does_not_correctly_re-generate_its_Textual_searches

Dave Hooton:

I've reported both of these possible bugs.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 7:05 PM

Thanks for doing that.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:37 AM

Dave Hooton:
But it is a bible word guide and should accept all bible words and bible dictionary headwords (like 'trinity').

I don't agree. A bible word study should accept all bible words, not bible dictionary headwords. Just because topic searching doesn't work properly doesn't mean we should use BWS for a purpose for which it wasn't intended.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:25 PM

Mark Barnes:

Dave Hooton:
But it is a bible word guide and should accept all bible words and bible dictionary headwords (like 'trinity').

I don't agree. A bible word study should accept all bible words, not bible dictionary headwords. Just because topic searching doesn't work properly doesn't mean we should use BWS for a purpose for which it wasn't intended.

We don't really know for what it was intended (even after the recent discussion with Sean) but the word bible is suggestive and restrictive enough to exclude words from non-bible dictionaries! Also, I can select headwords in bible dictionaries and get a BWS definition.

EDIT: Further, there are words in my preferred bible that cannot be entered manually.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:29 PM

Mark Barnes:

You can lookup a word in your dictionaries by typing look up gentleness in the command bar of Logos. It will open the dictionary that has the highest priority and has an entry on gentleness. You can't restrict to a particular collection though.

Once you have that entry, you can click the parallel resource sets icon, and you'll see a list of all the other dictionaries that also have that entry.

Yes, I use that way of looking up the dictionary entries. Than I cycle with the right arrow through all other dictionaries that have the entry. I would also appreciate however the possibility of doing that kind of search in the main search window.

EDIT:  I appreciate it works with many words already.

Bohuslav

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:25 AM

Dave Hooton:

MJ. Smith:
I am suspicious that BWS thinks that gentleness is a form of gentle and is going back to the base form.

See http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_BWS_does_not_accept_all_bible_words

This is by design. Most of the sections stem the word so the autocomplete options are limited. For a BWS on a specific word, right click on that word in the text.

Posts 19067
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:50 AM

Melissa Snyder:

This is by design. Most of the sections stem the word so the autocomplete options are limited. For a BWS on a specific word, right click on that word in the text.

But that means if you're just curious about a word out of the blue, you've got to do a search to find it in a Bible text first so that you can right click on it. What if I just felt like doing a word study on agape and it wasn't in the BWS autocomplete list? (That one is, so not to worry; but there could be examples of other words that are missing, which one might want to study without having a resource open where they're looking at an instance of that word.)

I know it's by design, but I'd like to see this design revisited.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 11:26 AM

Rosie Perera:

I understand. :o)   (When I report back that something is 'by design', this is the resolution to the report I've submitted.)

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:25 PM

Dave Hooton:

Its Textual search results are based on matching "all Word Forms". But when you run its Text query the results will depend on your setting if you re-use a Search tab ie. "Send Searches here".  If you don't do that you may get the expected results.  So that's another bug for BWS!

EDIT: the results depend on settings in the last Search! This is confusing because nobody really knows the last search they did and why should it be relevant? See http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_BWS_does_not_correctly_re-generate_its_Textual_searches

This will be fixed in Beta 4, so that when you're using the "Send searches here" option the existing settings will be cleared as appropriate.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:25 AM

Melissa Snyder:

Rosie Perera:

I understand. :o)   (When I report back that something is 'by design', this is the resolution to the report I've submitted.)

I'll submit a Suggestion!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 6:12 AM

Melissa Snyder:

Dave Hooton:

Dave Hooton:

I've reported both of these possible bugs.

Melissa, the fix in 4.0d B4 does not generate a search on "All Word forms" for words like "Gentle" and "gentleness".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 7:58 AM

Dave Hooton:
Melissa, the fix in 4.0d B4 does not generate a search on "All Word forms" for words like "Gentle" and "gentleness".

The fix covered your other report on the textual search links reusing previous search parameters--it now opens a search panel with defaults: All Bible Text, All Passages, and the "Match case" and "Match all word forms" options on the panel menu disabled.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 8:07 AM

Melissa Snyder:
The fix covered your other report on the textual search links reusing previous search parameters--it now opens a search panel with defaults: All Bible Text, All Passages, and the "Match case" and "Match all word forms" options on the panel menu disabled.

The wiki I quoted above was marked as fixed - that referenced this thread and explicitly quoted those examples as being incorrectly generated.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 10:53 AM

Dave Hooton:
Customise Bible Word Study guide as follows:

I love this feature! I am finding it immensely useful.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS