Augustine New 21st Century Transalation on PrePub !!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 59 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 262
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2019 1:40 PM

Dale E Heath:

It's unfortunate that most pre-pubs/orders don't show dynamic pricing. It's also difficult to compare titles that are in a different series or from a different publisher. Has anyone done a spread sheet showing all the different titles and which collection they're in?

Dale, if you have Augustine Through the Ages, this table of Augustine's works shows all the translations in FC, ACW, NPNF, and WSA (the New City Press set). It doesn't export well, however, otherwise I'd just share the relevant sections of the table.

Posts 5363
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2019 4:37 PM

Dale E Heath:
It's unfortunate that most pre-pubs/orders don't show dynamic pricing.

Actually, they normally do, on the rare occasions that dynamic pricing is relevant to them.

Posts 1087
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2019 6:09 PM

Thank you Kevin Clemens, all your input has been very helpful. I have most of Augustine's works already, so I'll just sit this one out and perhaps pick up Psalms when it's available and on sale. It appears the main advantage of this collection is modern english and newer translation.

Posts 5747
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2019 6:13 PM
I‘m sitting it out to, nice to have but for my needs not essential to have another translation at this point in time at this price.
Dale E Heath:

Thank you Kevin Clemens, all your input has been very helpful. I have most of Augustine's works already, so I'll just sit this one out and perhaps pick up Psalms when it's available and on sale. It appears the main advantage of this collection is modern english and newer translation.

Posts 262
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 1:14 PM

New City Press just released a new volume in this series: Homilies on John 41-124:

Give feedback on bringing this latest volume to Logos/Verbum here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/augustine-ncp-homilies-on-john-41-124

More info on this latest volume from New City Press here.

Posts 1087
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 3:17 PM

I was very pleased when I purchased L9 that included the complete new Augustine collection. I had resisted purchasing anything, except for City of God when it was on sale for a good price. I'll bump the new John.Big Smile

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2020 9:21 AM

Kevin Clemens:

Now to find $1300 in loose change under the couch cushions...

Augustine's 21 century translations are on a 59 % sale now, on Cyber Monday!

The Works of Saint Augustine: A Translation for the 21st Century (43 vols.) | Logos Bible Software

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2020 10:56 AM

Dale E Heath:

I had resisted purchasing anything

Okay, here are my Confessions, not those of St. Augustine: I couldn't resist the temptation at this price level. So I pulled the trigger. So here's my problem: As Ken McGuire said in another thread:

Ken McGuire:

This Lutheran bought Logos Orthodox Silver because of all the relatively recent scholarly translations of fathers in it....

... this Lutheran did the very same with the exception of "Silver" back at "the good old Logos 8-days".

So: If I should want to "tolle et lege" ("take and read"), is there a way to prioritize my myriad of St. Augustine resources (so that the New City Press 21st Century Version comes first)?

To put it in another words: I have the Chaff's Early Church Fathers (ECF) -version (19th Century), the Ancient Christian Writers (ACW) -version and the Catholic University of America (CUA) -version (both 20th Century). How do put the 21st Century Version on top of that? Does the Logos prioritization work also on these kind of monographs?

Posts 11848
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2020 12:12 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:
Does the Logos prioritization work also on these kind of monographs?

If those are indexed with an Augustine datatype (as they should be! for that money...) then yes.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 5363
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2020 1:35 PM

NB.Mick:

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

If those are indexed with an Augustine datatype (as they should be! for that money...) then yes.

Yes.

Posts 1813
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2020 2:03 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Yup. This is what I currently have.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2020 10:55 PM

Thanks, NB.Mick, SineNomine & Ken!

The prioritization worked flawlessly! (Made some tests with the Catholic Topical Index, and it worked fine) Geeked

Ken: thanks for sharing the screenshot of your personal prioritizations. Is there a reason why you have prioritized the ACW-bundle above the Fathers of the Church -series? E.g. what's your reason for preferring the one above the other, if I may ask?

Blessings!

Posts 1813
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:15 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:
Is there a reason why you have prioritized the ACW-bundle above the Fathers of the Church -series?

I will fully grant that the quality of sets varies - especially in sets that have been published over decades. I certainly understand why people have recommended purchasing the Fathers of the Church before ACW - since Fathers of the Church is much more complete. It is just that when I have found both editions exist of a work, the ACW volumes are better annotated. I first saw this in comparing their notes on Justin Martyr's Apologies - which is admittedly not fair since the ACW volume is a lot more recent. But it was a tendency that I saw continuing. ACW had deeper notes than CUA's Fathers of the Church. Not that Fathers of the Church is bad, but I found more than a few times where the note in ACW would be a page or more talking about how the passage in question fits in with the thoughts of the church.

And sometimes this reaches the main text too. In https://ref.ly/logosref/Cyprian.De_unit._eccl._4 ACW translates both textual traditions in parallel - bringing to light the textual problem which must be considered. Fathers of the Church does not - and doesn't mention it in the footnotes there either. Instead, it mentions what text it is translating, and that there is considerable debate about this text in the introduction to the treatise, with some footnotes to papers on the issue in French. And in this case, the two volumes were published only a year apart.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 4:38 AM

Thanks for clarifying! Yes

Posts 262
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2021 11:16 AM

A handful of these volumes in the New City Press translation of Augustine's Complete Works for the 21st Century are included in the Free Book + promotions from Verbum this month.

This would be a great time to get the latest volume from this series into Logos/Verbum as a follow up to this month's free book"

Vote here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/augustine-ncp-homilies-on-john-41-124

Posts 1187
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2021 12:30 PM

Kevin Clemens:

A handful of these volumes in the New City Press translation of Augustine's Complete Works for the 21st Century are included in the Free Book + promotions from Verbum this month.

This would be a great time to get the latest volume from this series into Logos/Verbum as a follow up to this month's free book"

Vote here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/augustine-ncp-homilies-on-john-41-124

This was the first time I already had everything from the BOTM list

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 901
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2021 4:50 PM

Same here. It's the monthly downside of having a largish library!

Posts 2
Bruno Gez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 2 2021 9:52 AM

Expositions which to my knowledge were last translated to English in the 19th century.

Posts 5363
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2021 12:35 PM

Bruno Gez:

Expositions which to my knowledge were last translated to English in the 19th century.

Which writings are you referring to?

Posts 1813
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2021 2:33 PM

Kevin Clemens:

The Verbum specials this month are particularly good, even for us Protestants. For the good of the church, we should want these texts in as many hands as possible.

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS