Too easy to accidentally delete Note Files, Notes, Close All Tabs in L4

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 43
Douglas | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:11 PM

I think that it is way too easy to accidentally delete Note Files (right clicking a Note File from the File Menu), individual Notes in Note Files (left-clicking the red circle containing an X), and Close All Tabs (right clicking a resource tab) in L4.  This is especially a concern with Note Files and (to a lesser extent) Notes, both of which may contain lots of valuable information not easy to reconstruct.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:  When these "destroy-all" options are selected, there should be a Yes/No Popup Dialog that appears to users asking them "Are you sure you want to delete/close the Note File / Note / all tabs?" (appropriately worded for each situation).  As a software developer, I almost always have added this "Are you sure...?" popup functionality to check with users in these kinds of situations.

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:31 PM

My colleagues and I have often quipped about popping up a "Were you sure?" message after doing something that cannot be undone.Smile

Seeing that deleting Notes cannot be undone, your suggestion makes perfect sense. I would get the popup to point out that the delete operation cannot be undone.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:45 PM

I agree.  I've done that several times accidentally.  It's carelessness of course but that comes with familiarity in the computing world.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 43
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:46 PM

I suppose, then, that this may be a good time to propose to Logos that "Undo / Redo" functionality be added to Logos 4. This kind of functionality is quite common in higher quality applications like MS Word, Open Office, etc..  To Logos 4 developers: The Software Design Pattern "Command" can be used to achieve this in an application.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:05 PM

DouglasMarkevich:

I suppose, then, that this may be a good time to propose to Logos that "Undo / Redo" functionality be added to Logos 4. This kind of functionality is quite common in higher quality applications like MS Word, Open Office, etc..  To Logos 4 developers: The Software Design Pattern "Command" can be used to achieve this in an application.

If you catch the note deletion immediately CTRL-Z will restore the note. (CTRL-Z is the standard keyboard shortcut for Undo - and works in most applications.)

EDIT:

Note that I am speaking of un-deleting a note in a note file, not un-deleting the entire note file. I have not tried the latter.

Bob has said that they are working on a way to exchange notes between users, which would give the ability to archive one's own notes as well (I assume). That would also be a work-around here.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:21 PM

Be nice if we could backup our user-content!!!

I really don't get why this did not come first in the design/build of the application.

Posts 43
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:29 PM

I just tried the Control-Z with the Note and it worked as you mentioned.  I also tried the Control-Z with the Note File, but it didn't work.

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 7:37 PM

DouglasMarkevich:
I think that it is way too easy to accidentally delete Note Files

Same is true for Collections -  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10746.aspx. I'm  not sure if that was recognised as a suggestion but it would help if you could edit your original post to preface its title with Suggestion:

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 43
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 8:00 PM

Is there any ETA on this being fixed. I think it is a big problem.

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:06 AM

Douglas:

Is there any ETA on this being fixed. I think it is a big problem.

Logos hasn't even acknowledged it's a problem they're going to fix, as far as I'm aware. So an ETA is probably not on the horizon.

As someone else already pointed out, this needs to be communicated to Logos as a suggestion and the way things are going now, it's likely they will direct us to post it on UserVoice which is currently their preferred way to gauge user interest in possible new features or feature improvements (as opposed to outright bugs; they wouldn't consider this a bug, just something which we don't like about the way it was designed).

Search first before posting suggestions on UserVoice to make sure someone else hasn't already suggested it (in which case you'll want to vote for it).

Someone has already suggested that Note files be backed up so we could recover them if accidentally deleted:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/692078-enhance-user-file-management-so-they-are-truly-bac?ref=title

But nobody has yet suggested that Ctrl-Z should work to undo a Notes File deletion.

Logos has a design philosophy with Logos 4 that it tries to avoid bringing up any user confirmation messages. I seem to recall this has been talked about, and their reasoning behind it. They don't like "modal" states, and having a dialog box pop up is a modal state. This might be the reason. Or they might have some other explanation. Anyway, they try to do a better job of guessing what is best for the user to simplify the UI and have less input needed. I believe this strategy fails in certain circumstances where it's too easy to shoot yourself in the foot. I've been railing on the fact that it's too easy to delete a collection for ages, and nothing has been done about that yet. This one has at least been acknowledged and my suggestion submitted. But these kinds of things are pretty low on the priority list for them. Good luck getting it heard and acted on. One option might be to send it in to suggest (at) logos (dot) com, where at least it will be forwarded to the right person's inbox and someone will have to make a decision about whether to put it on a task list. Still no guarantees about whether it will get done, though. For UI changes, they really do want to see a large number of people agreeing it should be done before they change something.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS