Announcement: Ship Date for Galaxie's Theological Journal Library, vols. 1-20

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1923
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 7:18 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

I agree totally here with what Joseph Turner has said - I believe this is a real issue for many potential customers. they see the system as broken - so are unwilling to invest in it.

However I totally see the Faithlife concern that it "has" to be financially viable.

Somehow the impasse need to be dealt with or we will remain in this situation.

If we can get to a point where trust in the system is restored/built - the potential is a for a LARGE number of serious scholar and bible students to make great use of the Logos facilities and also sell large volumes of journal issues.

For myself - this was (when it was looking good) was THE reason I decided on Logos.

So the incremental cost of each years additions are very acceptable. However I recognise that the cost to get to this point for most would seem prohibitive.

Shalom

Faithlife bit off more than they could chew.  This was not the fault of users.  I would suggest that FL needs to sell multiple packets of journals to be financially viable.  Not everyone is interested in all journals.  They can sell packets for various audiences and have a Masters packet for those willing to pay.  Or they can just go the route of not bundling.  Sell individual journals for those that want certain journals.  Or they need to do a subscription route.

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 8:08 AM

I would love to buy more journals - mainly JETS - but I can't afford bundles this size. Hopefully they'll be able to break down the collections down the line at some point.

Posts 2301
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 9:19 AM

I'd like to see both.  A subscription model would bring in a consistent cash flow every month that Faithlife could count on.  The purchase option would allow those who want to own a specific journal. 

Also, the subscription model would allow users to access journals for study, research, etc. that they would never purchase. 

Posts 2301
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 9:27 AM

I'm not even sure what a reasonable subscription price would be, but I'd pay $99 a year to access the journals. 

I'll likely never purchase the Master Journal Bundle, so with only the purchase option available, Faithlife will not receive any revenue from me for this resource.  However, they would with the subscription. 

That being said, I still prefer to purchase my resources, so I would like this to always be an option.

Posts 2177
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 9:34 AM

I have been investing in journals for many years, so the entry price was not so great. I suggest FL consider selling the more recent years in a separate package and/or offer the earlier years at a discount to allow for entry of more customers.

Posts 681
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 9:50 AM

John Fidel:

I have been investing in journals for many years, so the entry price was not so great. I suggest FL consider selling the more recent years in a separate package and/or offer the earlier years at a discount to allow for entry of more customers.

Won't affect me as I already have the latest available MJB - however this sounds like a really good idea if Faithlife can crunch the right numbers.

Shalom

Posts 176
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 10:25 PM

I would buy this package of journals in a heartbeat.  Having written papers in several journals myself I know the hard work and peer reviews that go with it.  

IMO, journals are sorely lacking in software.  

Posts 3073
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:16 PM

Everyone might want to check their prices. My price was at 291 several days ago but today it jumped to 297.  Not sure where the extra $6 came out of

Posts 1544
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:25 PM

My price also increased by about $6... A response from Faithlife will soon follow... I hope. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 17826
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:36 PM

John Kight:
My price also increased by about $6...

My dynamic price also went up ~$7 (while noticing New resources went from 52 to 59 so roughly ~$1 more per new journal)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:37 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

John Kight:

My dynamic price also went up ~$7 (while noticing New resources went from 52 to 59 so roughly ~$1 more per new journal)

Keep Smiling Smile

I experienced the same thing. More new journals is great.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 110
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:44 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

John Kight:

Keep Smiling Smile

I experienced the same thing. More new journals is great.

Same here????

Posts 2301
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 6:29 PM

My cost went up about $7. I’m not sure about the number of resources but I imagine it went up too  I don’t mind the increase for more resources but if I hadn’t read the forums I wouldn’t know I was getting more resources too. An email from Faithlife would be helpful. 

Posts 1923
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 8:00 PM

7 Journals were added.  There used to be 49 new journals.  Now there are 56 new Journals.  That probably accounts for the price increase.

Posts 110
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 8:15 PM

Mark:

7 Journals were added.  There used to be 49 new journals.  Now there are 56 new Journals.  That probably accounts for the price increase.

Nice! Which journals were added by chance?

Posts 1923
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:01 PM

The full list of the 56 new journals are:

Bible and Spade Volume 25                      
Bible and Spade Volume 26 $2.95
Bible and Spade Volume 27 $2.95
Bible and Spade Volume 28 $2.95
Bible and Spade Volume 29 $2.95
Christian Apologetics Journal Volume 10 $4.95
Christian Apologetics Journal Volume 11 $4.95
Christian Apologetics Journal Volume 12 $4.95
Emmaus Journal, vol. 20 $3.95
Emmaus Journal, vol. 21 $3.95
Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 10 $4.95
Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 11 $4.95
Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 12 $4.95
Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 13 $4.95
Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 14 $4.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 1 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 10 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 11 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 12 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 13 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 14 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 2 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 3 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 4 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 5 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 6 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 7 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 8 $3.95
Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions Volume 9 $3.95
Journal of Dispensational Theology, Volume 19, Nos. 56–58 $5.99
Journal of Dispensational Theology, Volume 20, Nos. 59–61 $5.99
Journal of Ministry and Theology, vol. 18 $4.40
Journal of Ministry and Theology, vol. 19 $4.40
Journal of Ministry and Theology, vol. 20 $4.40
Journal of the Evangelical Society Volume 60 $2.95
Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, vol. 55 $2.95
Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, vol. 56 $2.95
Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, vol. 57 $2.95
Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, vol. 58 $2.95
Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, vol. 59 $2.95
Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society, vol. 29 $4.99
Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies Volume 1 $8.99
Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies Volume 2 $8.99
Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies Volume 3 $8.99
Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies Volume 4 $8.99
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal Volume 4 $3.95
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal, Volume 1 $3.95
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal, Volume 2 $3.95
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal, Volume 3 $3.95
Southeastern Theological Review Volume 8 $4.95
Southeastern Theological Review, (vol. 3) $4.95
Southeastern Theological Review, (vol. 4) $4.95
Southeastern Theological Review, (vol. 5) $4.95
Southeastern Theological Review, (vol. 6) $4.95
Southeastern Theological Review, (vol. 7) $4.95
The Reformed Baptist Theological Review Volume 8 $4.95
Posts 13213
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 2:28 AM

Six of the additional volumes are:

• Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 14
  • Journal of Baptist Theology and Ministry Volume 14 (it says Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions, but I think that's an error)
  • Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society Volume 60 ((it says Journal of Evangelical Society, but I think that's another error)
  • Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies Volume 4
  • Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal Volume 4
  • Southeastern Theological Review Volume 8

Not sure about the other one.

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:40 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mattillo:

Randy W. Sims:

Mattillo:
Will these be like previous journals or will they have less functionality?

According to the product page they are fully tagged.

This journal bundle fully integrates with the Logos Journal Feature and includes specialized tagging by author, passage, and topic.

I'm very grateful and excited for this and future releases.

Awesome! I would have bought it anyway but was curious... Thanks :)

This needs a little nuance. We're in the process of updating the details on the product page, and we'll make sure to include those details in our last-chance email that everyone will receive early next week.

There are two groups of resources included in this product: (1) those that Logos has a license to and has produced to our normal standards (i.e., the ones in this productand (2) those that only Galaxie has a license to and has produced themselves, with some guidance and input from us.

The first group is exactly what you would expect.

The second group hasn't gone through the exact same process. We'll provide a description soon of the ways they're different, but I'll hit the hit points here.

How They're the Same

1. They have the same label tagging, which means you'll be able to run label searches in them just like you can in the journals we produce.
  2. They'll show up in the Journals guide section in the same way journals we produce do.

How They're Different

1. They won't have as many links to other Logos resources.
  2. They haven't been as carefully checked for typos, quality issues, etc. But historically Galaxie has been very responsive to issues and shipping updates. (I say this as the former top typo reporter for Galaxie journals. :) )

All in all, you should still get the same core experience. Going this route meant we could ship this to you now rather than waiting months or longer for additional funding.

Look for a more detailed description of the differences early next week.

Following up to confirm that what I said above is basically correct. The one qualification to add is on timing: not all of the new journals will show up in the guide section on 3/22. Some will require a change we're making with 8.4, which ships on April 15. And some may still be pending LCV alignment after that.

On a related note, we have a huge batch up journal updates to release that are now have LCV alignment. This will cause them to start showing up in the topic-keyed guide section and in Factbook. This should ship in the next couple of weeks.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
They won't have as many links to other Logos resources.

A little more detail on this: The Galaxie-produced journals (i.e., the ones that don't overlap with the MJB) get Bible data type reference tagging, but they don't get tagging for other data types like Apostolic Fathers, Calvin's Institutes, etc. They also don't get hyperlinks to articles in other Logos resources. It's possible that we could recycle them in the future to add these tags, but there's no guarantee that will happen. Another possibility is that we'll provide better tooling to crowd-source this tagging. I have something I'd like to prototype with some folks in the next month or so.

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:50 AM

Mark Barnes:

Six of the additional volumes are:

• Global Journal of Classical Theology Volume 14
  • Journal of Baptist Theology and Ministry Volume 14 (it says Journal of Baptist Theology and Missions, but I think that's an error)
  • Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society Volume 60 ((it says Journal of Evangelical Society, but I think that's another error)
  • Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies Volume 4
  • Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal Volume 4
  • Southeastern Theological Review Volume 8

Not sure about the other one.

There were six new volumes added that came in since we posted the collection. Mark's list is correct.

We decided to include them rather than waiting until the next version, which we figured you'd appreciate. :)

I think an email is going out today, but it'll check with the team and confirm.

Posts 681
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:40 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Another possibility is that we'll provide better tooling to crowd-source this tagging. I have something I'd like to prototype with some folks in the next month or so.

I am sure that will get a lot of support - we will need to keep an eye on quality control - but I am also sure that is something that can be ironed out with experience.

Shalom

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS