Help with a word in a resource

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 616
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:20 AM

I need someone to double check a word in a resource- Dictionary of Theological Terms, by Alan Cairns 2002.  Page 218:

In Greek, hupostasis signifies “essence” or “substance.” It comes from a word meaning “to subsist,” literally “to stand under,” and therefore denotes a real, personal subsistence.

Philosophically, hypostasis emphasized essence as distinct from attributes. Theologically, it was used and continues to be used by orthodox trinitarians as a term to describe any one of the three real and distinct personal subsistences of the one undivided divine essence.

The first Greek word here is hupostasis.  Can someone verify if that is correct?  I want to make sure it is not a typo and should not be instead the word hypostasis.  

Thank you!

Posts 13141
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:26 AM

Michael S.:
The first Greek word here is hupostasis.  Can someone verify if that is correct?  I want to make sure it is not a typo and should not be instead the word hypostasis.  

It's kind of a typo.

It's not entirely unreasonable to use a 'u' to transliterate a υ, although it's not common practice, and I personally wouldn't do so. There are no hard and fast rules as to exactly which English letters should transliterate exactly which Greek ones. The problem in this instance is the inconsistency. ὑπόστασις is transliterated twice as hupostasis and once as hypostasis. Neither are wrong transliterations, but you should be consistent in your usage.

The following table is from Kairos: A Beginning Greek Grammar:

Posts 616
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:41 AM

Mark,

let me check my understanding- are you saying there is not a separate Greek word that is hupostasis?  I just want to make sure I am clear before I correct my paper.  I know that often a single letter can make a huge difference like:

The word homoousios means "same substance", whereas the word homoiousios means "similar substance". 

Posts 54
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:52 AM

Michael S.:

Mark,

let me check my understanding- are you saying there is not a separate Greek word that is hupostasis?  I just want to make sure I am clear before I correct my paper.  I know that often a single letter can make a huge difference like:

The word homoousios means "same substance", whereas the word homoiousios means "similar substance". 

That is correct. It is not uncommon for an upsilon to be transliterated with a 'y' or a 'u'. I believe the 'y' is typically only when the upsilon starts the word and has the rough breathing mark. But I am not willing to say that is always the case. Our word hypothermia is another case of this. As is hyper.

Posts 13141
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:56 AM

Michael S.:
let me check my understanding- are you saying there is not a separate Greek word that is hupostasis?  I just want to make sure I am clear before I correct my paper.

That's correct.

Posts 616
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 4:00 AM

Thank you Mark and Phil.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS