Changing translations for one reference

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Tim McCabe | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2019 10:10 AM

We have RefTagger installed via Google Tag Manager on every page of our site with ESV as the default translation. With certain specific references, however, we have been altering the translation to RVR60 using the following markup:

<cite class="bibleref" title="RVR60 Hebrews 11:1">Hebreos 11:1</cite>

This markup matches the SemanticBible docs here:
http://semanticbible.com/bibleref/bibleref-specification-20070612.pdf

However, it does not produce the desired results. It used to, but it no longer seems to. This markup, on-hover, opens an empty window that eventually says "This reference could not be loaded at this time." It looks like it is trying to load content from this URL (note that "/esv/" is in the path and RVR60 is merged into the scripture annotation):

https://reftaggercdn.global.ssl.fastly.net/bible/esv/RVR60Hebrews11.3?target=reftagger&callback=refTaggerCallback

I suspect it should be trying to load content from this URL instead (/esv/ is NOT in the path and RVR60 is given directory status):
https://reftaggercdn.global.ssl.fastly.net/bible/RVR60/Hebrews11.3?target=reftagger&callback=refTaggerCallback

Did something break inside RefTagger? Can it be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong?

You can take a look at the problem in action here:
https://answersingenesis.org/es/biblia/fe-ciega/

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 10:27 AM

I'm not from Faithlife, but I'd make two suggestions:

  1. Using Google Tag Manager is likely to mean that people with ad blockers won't see the markup.
  2. If this is a bug, you should be able to work around it by rewriting the javascript that calls reftagger. Just look up the language of the page (e.g. the meta property og:locale, or look for the /es/ in the URL) and set refTagger.bibleVersion accordingly. That's better in lots of ways, as you won't need to add the Bible version to every reference.
Posts 3
Tim McCabe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 10:36 AM

Moving it to Tag Manager may have caused the problem, now that I think about it. We made the move a week ago and have only become aware of the problem today, so i didn't immediately associate the two events.

Having said that, I would expect it to work from Tag Manager or from not-Tag Manager. I wouldn't have thought that would break it.

I will run some tests and see if taking it out of Tag Manager fixes everything. If not, I may try your suggestion of language parsing. Thanks for the thoughts!

Posts 3
Tim McCabe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 6:39 AM

FWIW, I took it out of Tag Manager and put it straight into HTML again, but that did not fix the problem.

Instead, I've now set up a URL check. If the URL has /es/ in it, then we go with RVR60. If the URL does not have /es/ in it, then we go with ESV.

This may not resolve all of our issues. There may be some instances where some article specifically wants the KJV for a particular verse or something like that, and it looks like RefTagger will still break under those circumstances.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS