User Voice Limitations

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 7 2019 1:04 PM

I don't think User Voice is a very effective method of determining interest in titles, at least not as it is currently employed. There are dozens of titles I could add to User Voice for potential inclusion in Logos, but I only have three votes. Any vote cast may be tied up for months or years, so there is a significant disincentive to even participate in User Voice. If Logos users had 25, or even 50, votes to cast, that would encourage a great deal more participation.

Posts 450
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2019 1:42 PM

I doubt the limitations to User Voice are the number of votes people have. The limitations are related to the limited pool of people who actually use User Voice. Recall that a few years ago Biologos shut down its comment section because (in part), after looking into it, they found that they were being dominated by a handful of individuals. Several other sites were doing the same thing at the time and this tends to be a rule of online interaction generally. One can see it in these forums too--a handful of forum "power users" that may or may not be representative of Logos' user base generally. (I recall seeing a study a year or two ago that showed that those who are most politically active on Twitter are tend be only representative of minority positions within their party.)

That's not to say that it should be or can be overhauled. One just has to recognize its limits. It's better than nothing. In the case of the forums here, it can be a good thing since they help answer questions and solve problems a lot quicker than Faithlife staff. 

Edit: To clarify, I think every user having 1 vote and making sure that votes are tied to ISP addresses would actually give Faithlife a better idea of user interest (granted the same limitations mentioned above) than giving each user 50 votes or 3 votes. (Assuming you're talking about how we can only give 1 to 3 votes for a single resource, right?)

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2019 2:24 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
I think every user having 1 vote and making sure that votes are tied to ISP addresses would actually give Faithlife a better idea of user interest

First, I think only one vote per resource per person should be the rule. Regardless of how much I may want a title and am thus willing to throw every vote I have to it, I'm still only going to buy it once. For the sake of determining interest, a 1-1 ratio only makes sense.

ISP or not, I can pretty much say having only one vote when I have dozens and dozens of things I would like to support being added is the very definition of demoralizing...and I feel nearly forced to conclude "what's the point?" This is especially true when my single vote may be tied up for years before FL ever acts on it.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2019 2:26 PM

David Paul:

I don't think User Voice is a very effective method of determining interest in titles, at least not as it is currently employed. There are dozens of titles I could add to User Voice for potential inclusion in Logos, but I only have three votes. Any vote cast may be tied up for months or years, so there is a significant disincentive to even participate in User Voice. If Logos users had 25, or even 50, votes to cast, that would encourage a great deal more participation.

The SuggestBooks forum on UserVoice does not have the three vote limitation that the feature suggestion UserVoice forum has. Put your suggestions for book titles on https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com, not http://logos.uservoice.comI think there's a limit (perhaps 1000 votes), but I haven't run into it yet. 

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2019 2:28 PM

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 12:39 PM

Rosie Perera:
I think there's a limit (perhaps 1000 votes), but I haven't run into it yet. 

There is no limit.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS