A couple questions on 8.5 beta 2 release notes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1997
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 5 2019 11:24 AM

How has the Notes tool "Improved the ability to batch delete notes."? I can't see a difference...

What are the details of "Improved Author faceting for notes."

Concerning: "Added the ability to add Notes to individual guide sections."... Will the guide settings get stored with the note? Currently, this is not the case and needs to be addressed. For example, if I make a note in one of my ~10 commentary sections of my passage guide, that note appears in ALL commentary sections and when I click on the anchor in the note, it always opens a particular section (being one that I did NOT make a note on). Also, I made a note on a translation ring section of BWS that was set to a Bible other than my preferred Bible, yet clicking on the anchor opens a translation guide section set to my preferred Bible. 

From the fact that this has only been added to Windows at this point, I assume it's just the initial implementation, but wanted to raise this issue just in case.

Posts 1827
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2019 12:18 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

How has the Notes tool "Improved the ability to batch delete notes."? I can't see a difference...

There's now an Undo option in a toast after you delete notes. It may be referring to that.

Related: We added the ability to select all. Before we required you to manually select up to 200 notes. It was a bit of a guessing game, and very tedious. So if you want to delete lots of notes, this would be an improvement.

Posts 1827
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2019 12:29 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
Concerning: "Added the ability to add Notes to individual guide sections."... Will the guide settings get stored with the note? Currently, this is not the case and needs to be addressed. For example, if I make a note in one of my ~10 commentary sections of my passage guide, that note appears in ALL commentary sections and when I click on the anchor in the note, it always opens a particular section (being one that I did NOT make a note on). Also, I made a note on a translation ring section of BWS that was set to a Bible other than my preferred Bible, yet clicking on the anchor opens a translation guide section set to my preferred Bible.

We're intentionally not including the template. We're anchoring only to guide section ID and key. We'll return your notes in all places that intersect the two.

Multi-instance guide sections with settings are an interesting case. Anchoring to the template wouldn't impact this at all.

We're discussing what it would look like to preserve some settings in the anchor.

Posts 1997
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2019 12:56 PM

Thanks for the response, Phil.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're intentionally not including the template.

I don't mind that it opens a single section instead of the entire template, but I do want to make notes relevant to certain collections of commentaries or certain translations, without having those notes appear in the other (irrelevant) sections.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're discussing what it would look like to preserve some settings in the anchor.

I would really like to see the settings (at the least collection/translation) preserved with the anchor. Of course, there would likely need to be a fallback strategy for if/when the designated resource or collection is no longer available.

Posts 358
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2019 8:58 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I would really like to see the settings (at the least collection/translation) preserved with the anchor.

Quick update on this. We are working on the following iterations:

• Guide note anchors will respect collection and (for the Concordance section) label class name settings. As a consequence, if that setting is changed, the note will no longer be visible in the guide section (but of course will still exist in the Notes tool). 
  • Guide note anchors will not respect Resource ID (e.g., the translation used in the Translation ring section). While this would be useful for some users (especially those doing translation work), a disappearing note is more likely to be surprising and confusing for the average user. That is, I wouldn't want to "lose" my guide notes if I decided to change preferred Bible, or happened to have opened BWS from a different version, etc.

There are a couple of potentially complicating factors, but for the most part, it looks pretty straightforward. I'm hoping for a quick turnaround on it. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 1997
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2019 11:13 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Guide note anchors will respect collection and (for the Concordance section) label class name settings. As a consequence, if that setting is changed, the note will no longer be visible in the guide section (but of course will still exist in the Notes tool). 

Thanks, Adam! One consideration... will this be based on the collection name or on an internal ID? The reason I ask is because of the occasional change of actual collections, due to not (yet?) having the ability to simply "update" a collection from the Docs menu... In light of this, it would be nice to have it based on the name, yet in light of the possibility of simply changing the name and retaining the collection, it would be good to have based on the ID. I'm wondering whether it would be difficult to have it based on the ID as long as the original collection is present and if missing, then search for a matching name?

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Guide note anchors will not respect Resource ID (e.g., the translation used in the Translation ring section). While this would be useful for some users (especially those doing translation work), a disappearing note is more likely to be surprising and confusing for the average user. That is, I wouldn't want to "lose" my guide notes if I decided to change preferred Bible, or happened to have opened BWS from a different version, etc.

I understand the reasoning here and agree in large part. One thought would be to allow manual editing of the anchor within the notes tool for those notes that we really do only want to be associated with a particular translation.

Posts 358
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 11:31 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
will this be based on the collection name or on an internal ID?

No, it won't be the collection name. The setting respects these options:

• "everything"
  • a personal collection (identified by GUID)
  • a tag
  • a rating
  • a series (identified by title)

Incidentally, notes on a personal collection also complicates things for sharing. If you share a note that's anchored to a section with your personal collection it wouldn't be visible to other users. That is, even if I got a copy of your collection, it would have a new GUID, so your note wouldn't show up on my guide section. There are ways we could work around this, but we don't plan to for v1. We'll wait to see if this turns out to be a popular feature before giving it more effort.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS