Getting the most out of our Logos Commentaries, What do you do?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 17 2019 12:42 AM

I wanted to act what do others think are the best to read with a Evangelical, Baptist, and Reformed?

What are your go to commentaries as a series, or your must haves?

I do have collections setup in my Logos library using the rules that Mark Burns used.

I also try to use the ratings and prioritize resources so that my searches put those commentaries at the top of my passage guide.

If you have a better way please post what you do, thank you. 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 440
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 4:11 AM

There is plenty here on the forum on this topic so I'd encourage you to have a look around. 

However, one thing I did was to create a custom series called 'Best commentaries'. I used the Tyndale OT/NT series as a base and then swapped in the best commentaries based on BestCommentaries.Com, Tim Challies Best Commentaries Blog Series, and the Ligonier Best Commentaries Blog series.

Although in a few places I gave priority to personal preference of author, style, Logos availability, funds, etc. It is an ongoing project as funds allow, but as you can see it is coming starting to together:

The benefit of this approach I have found is that I don't have to get bogged down in prioritising resources, I simply prioritise this series and then the commentaries in it are automatically first in my passage guide. 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 485
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 4:31 AM

I Like this idea..   Thank you..

Posts 1978
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 4:40 AM

I maintain a PB of Denver's Annotated Old Testament and New Testament Suggestions which can be found here.  I like these in particular because the OT is annotated, while the NT is divided in a logical way by academic, exposition, etc...; since I have linked them when I click on the links, they either go to the resource if I have it or to the product page if I do not; and I can highlight resources I own, giving me a useful visual.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 235
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 4:43 AM

Great idea Liam thank you Yes

Posts 235
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 4:45 AM

This is also useful thank you Joseph.

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 9:08 AM

I have these collections:

Textual Commentaries (Exegetical Summaries*, USB Handbooks, NIGTC)

Historical Commentaries (Patristics, Reformation, etc)

Background Commentaries (IVP Background, Zondervan Illustrated Background)

Interpretation Commentaries (NIVAC*, Interpretation*, Belief)

Commentaries (WBC*, AYB*, NICNT/OT, ICC, ECC, EEC)

Other Commentaries (pubdate:>=1980 AND NOT mytag:*) <-- this way anything I tag gets hidden, so I can remove commentaries I don't like by giving them an appropriate tag

* series are those I find most useful and recommend

1. WBC

2. NIVAC

3. AYB

4. Interpretation

5. Exegetical Summaries

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 5:35 PM

Lee:
I do have collections setup in my Logos library using the rules that Mark Burns used.

Mark Barnes' collections are comprehensive, but I would adapt them for my Library to make them more efficient to process e.g. I would delete collections I don't use, and then remove series and authors I don't have (and not likely to buy!).

Lee:
I also try to use the ratings and prioritize resources so that my searches put those commentaries at the top of my passage guide.

I use Ratings (myrating) and Tags (mytag) in my collection rules to classify and exclude commentaries (I don't use Mark's rules). For example, I tag Bible Commentaries as "Notes" if their coverage is inadequate, then use Ratings to classify them (I might use tags if I could provide suitable names!).

I use Prioritization to keep guide results relevant when many commentaries could be listed.

Lee:
What are your go to commentaries as a series, or your must haves?

Bible Knowledge Commentary (single volume) is my #1. Then I go to EBC and Tyndale Commentaries, followed by NAC (all Intermediate!)

Lee:
I wanted to act what do others think are the best to read with a Evangelical, Baptist, and Reformed?

Mark has rules for Reformed (Reformation) commentaries, if that is what you mean. But I don't buy/read with any of these in mind.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS