Book Suggestion: Knox Bible

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2021 3:59 PM

Craig St. Clair,

Any update on Knox Bible and Divine Intimacy?

Anything we can do on the outside?

It might be hopeless to get a "macro" to give us the readings in English for the date in Divine Intimacy which uses the Latin Tridentine Mass and calendar.

Both books are enormously useful, Msgr. Knox's translation has to be the best modern translation in my opinion.  We can only wonder what it would have been like had Msgr. Knox been able to work directly from the ancient texts without using the Vulgate as the primary text to translate. Msgr. Knox's use of the English language is stunningly beautiful.

Best wishes,

David

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2021 4:08 PM

My immediate problem is that Last Pass recognizes the site as a faithlife site and not a feedbear site.

I have to manually log into feedback.feedbear.com and then go to feedback.faithlife.com and I will be logged in.

Faithlife should have kept the address as feedback.feedbear.com or at least redirect feedback.faithlife.com to that address so people can log in with their feedbear account.

Best wishes,

David

Posts 293
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 5:35 PM

We would love to bring the Knox Bible to Verbum. I wish we could do it tomorrow. However, before we can move forward we have to reach an agreement with the current rights holder. If there is ever any news on that front, we'll post here.

In the meantime, this remains the only work by Fr. Knox available: https://verbum.com/product/175786/the-creed-in-slow-motion 

Posts 1043
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2021 8:02 AM

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):

However, before we can move forward we have to reach an agreement with the current rights holder. If there is ever any news on that front, we'll post here.

I take it this is why some of the highly regarded works (like Merton’s “Seven Storey Mountain“) remain unavailable?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2021 8:35 PM

Don,

Is there anything we outsiders can do?  I own both their books in print, are they worried that they won't get paper book sales?  I have both books and I would still buy both books because it's a different type of reading that I do with Logos/Verbum.

I'm more much more apt to read for pleasure or reflective meditation with a bound paper book than use Verbum, but when I start studying the passage in context with use of the ancient manuscripts, it is much easier to use Verbum.  I no longer have some of my Greek, Hebrew and Latin texts, I've sold them because I have them in Verbum now.  

I have NOT sold my NABRE, NRSV2-CE and NJB hand cover bibles even though I have them all in Verbum, I continue to read those for a different purpose.

I probably wouldn't even want Divine Intimacy in Verbum unless I had a Latin-English translation of the 1962 Missal, but I have that in Verbum - not directly but indirectly by using the Roman Latin Missal then by reading the readings in Latin then going to the D-R which is a translation of the Vulgate Latin from which the 1962 readings come.  But it's possible.  It should be possible to find "Today's Readings" in the Lectionary, then search for them in the HOPED FOR Divine Intimacy digital Verbum version and read the Teresian Lectio Divina type meditation and reflection of the same passages in Divine Intimacy.  Such a cross reference is missing from Baronius' edition, and is badly needed for modern English language worshipers of the Novo Ordo.

If it's a matter of money or royalties, offer them twice as much but remind them if they charge you too much, sales will drop because if the price goes to $100 per book, I'll just keep with my current printed copies of their books thank you very much.

Thank you,

David J. Ring, Jr.

Posts 293
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2021 4:58 PM

David Wanat:

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):

However, before we can move forward we have to reach an agreement with the current rights holder. If there is ever any news on that front, we'll post here.

I take it this is why some of the highly regarded works (like Merton’s “Seven Storey Mountain“) remain unavailable?

Whenever there's an obvious title that we don't have, it's usually a matter of the rights holder not granting rights for its being produced and sold for Verbum or Logos. But we keep trying!

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:29 PM

If the Rights holder is afraid of losing bound paper book sales, I'd buy another Leather bound Knox Bible if it was purchased with a license for an electronic resource produced by Verbum.

Do they understand we study with Verbum, but we usually sit in an armchair with a printed volume if we are reading for pleasure or enrichment.

Right now I have to have Verbum running on my computer while I physically turn the pages of my printed Knox Bible and unless I've kept excellent notes, it's extremely difficult to find a parallel note elsewhere in the Bible.

In fact their stubbornness is having a profound effect on my buying volumes of their printed Bible to give to others as gifts.

This feeling of resentment against allowing Knox Bible lovers to have an electronic version as well can only grow and blister into disgust at a publisher that heretofore I simply adored.

Regards,

DR

Posts 32146
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:54 PM

Baronius Press secured the rights for the work from the Archdiocese of Westminster in 2009 and their new leather-bound edition of Monsignor Knox's translation was published in October 2012.

Rights for the British Isles are clearly either with Baronius Press or the Archdiocese of Westminster ... I can find nothing indicating who owns the North American rights... quite possibly the same two potential owners.

With some of the recent changes, I can understand some hesitancy in dealing with Faithlife.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 11:18 PM

Is there a page to learn about the changes you mentioned?

Best wishes,

DR

Posts 32146
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 12:47 AM

David J. Ring, Jr.:
Is there a page to learn about the changes you mentioned?

personal observations - sorry

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5197
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 11:15 AM

David J. Ring, Jr.:
This feeling of resentment against allowing Knox Bible lovers to have an electronic version as well can only grow and blister into disgust at a publisher that heretofore I simply adored.

Maybe you could contact Baronius Press yourself and ask for it.

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 11:33 AM

I tried to PM you, MJ Smith but there's no way to do that for you.

Thanks anyway, I'm sorry to hear Logos is having problems.

DR

Posts 91
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 11:36 AM

I have done that and I've made the suggesting that they might consider a package deal, by which we would pay for a printed Knox Bible and a license and permission to Faithlife to produce an electronic resource and a license for the purchaser to use it.

I'd gladly pay for another copy of the Knox Bible, it's based on the D-R but with updates from the original languages and the bottom line is that I like it.

Thanks for the suggestion, maybe more people could contact Baronius about this.

David

Posts 32146
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:19 PM

David J. Ring, Jr.:
Thanks anyway, I'm sorry to hear Logos is having problems.

No, you misunderstood me. I was speaking of the relationship between Logos and Verbum within Faithlife becoming problematic to the Verbum user.

Posts 5197
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2021 4:03 PM

David J. Ring, Jr.:
I have done that and I've made the suggesting that they might consider a package deal, by which we would pay for a printed Knox Bible and a license and permission to Faithlife to produce an electronic resource and a license for the purchaser to use it.

If that's what it takes, I'd be all for it.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS