How does one get the "Insert Passage" function on Canvas to insert the reference?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Marcus Wolfe | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 5 2019 11:14 AM

It will only copy the verse directly and only show the verse without providing the entire reference such as John 3:16 instead of just 16 then the verse?

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2019 12:07 PM

Marcus Wolfe:

It will only copy the verse directly and only show the verse without providing the entire reference such as John 3:16 instead of just 16 then the verse?

Welcome to the forums.

I am a little unclear about you question, as the title of the post references the Insert Passage function, while your post says you are trying copy a verse directly into a canvas document.

If you are using the Insert Passage function, it will insert the verse or passage you select, based on the way that passage appears in the bible resource you have chosen. For example, in the screen shot below, the first occurrence of John 3:16 is from the ESV. The second is from the KJV 1900

If you are trying to customize the way the Insert Passage function inserts the text, there is no way to change that. Have I misunderstood your question?

Posts 4
Coach Boz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2019 9:31 PM

I have the same question as the OP.  Basically, what I want is "John 3:16" to appear as part of the inserted passage.  The way it seems to work is just to show "16" as the verse, but without any further reference to chapter and book.  Is there way to get it to include the "book ch:ver" along with the inserted text?

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 11:24 AM

Coach Boz:

I have the same question as the OP.  Basically, what I want is "John 3:16" to appear as part of the inserted passage.  The way it seems to work is just to show "16" as the verse, but without any further reference to chapter and book.  Is there way to get it to include the "book ch:ver" along with the inserted text?

You cannot customize the way the passage is inserted when using the insert passage command. If you want to have styled or formatted text, you would need to create a text box on the canvas, then copy and paste the verse or passage using the CBV tool. In the CBV tool, select the format you would like to have the text appear.

Posts 4
Coach Boz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 12:47 PM

Thank you, Fred.  Per your response, it seems it just doesn't work that way.  I'll see about putting in a feature request.  The formatting of the text isn't the ask, it would be to add something like "- John 3:16" to the bottom of the quoted text.  Thank you again for taking the time to reply.  

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 2:07 PM

Coach Boz:
The formatting of the text isn't the ask, it would be to add something like "- John 3:16" to the bottom of the quoted text.

As I said, you could accomplish this with the CBV tool

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 2:07 PM

Coach Boz:
The formatting of the text isn't the ask, it would be to add something like "- John 3:16" to the bottom of the quoted text.

As I said, you could accomplish this with the CBV tool

Posts 4
Coach Boz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 2:10 PM

Indeed.  thanks again.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS