FIX the context-menu lemma search!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 9 2019 12:26 AM

I'm sorry but after all this time, it's hard to believe that one can still invoke the context menu from a word in a Bible and run the lemma search "in this resource" from the context menu, only to get no results because the generated search is not in the correct morphology!

I have mentioned this before and I still hold that this is simply not user friendly at all. 

Posts 2015
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 12:43 AM

I'm not seeing this problem. Could you provide more details?

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 2:03 AM

Using the NASB95 (not the paragraph version). Try runinng a lemma search "in this resource" from the context menu.

Result:

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 2:22 AM

The same problem applies when selecting the lemma from the Bible search (tried the NASB, NASB+, and NIV84 so far). 

Step 1: type g:kosmos in the box and select the lemma proposed in the drop list:

Result: 

Contrast with results obtained with the same procedure on the ESV.

Posts 1113
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 4:16 AM

Francis:
Using the NASB95 (not the paragraph version). Try runinng a lemma search "in this resource" from the context menu.

Interesting. I've had this error before too. I just figured I was doing something wrong.

I tried it out, and here's what it did for me:

1. Went to Gen. 1.1 in the ESV, did a lemma search on eretz from the context menu. No hits came up.

2. John 3.16 in ESV, kosmos: worked fine.

3. John 3.16 & Gen 1.1 in NASB95 (not para): worked fine.

4. Back to eretz in Gen. 1.1 in the ESV: this time it worked.

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 7:11 AM

Hi Francis

I've tried the different examples you give (NASB95 and NIV84) and the searches work fine for me - something strange is going on!

It's not a morphology issue as the search screens you show have the correct encoding.

Graham

Posts 2335
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 2:19 PM

Francis:

The same problem applies when selecting the lemma from the Bible search (tried the NASB, NASB+, and NIV84 so far). 

Step 1: type g:kosmos in the box and select the lemma proposed in the drop list:

Result: 

Francis,

I don't have an answer for your dilemma, but what I do have is a question that may get to the bottom of it. How do you get that pop-up with 185 in the wheel to appear? I am unable to duplicate this and it may hold the key to what's going on in your case.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 25038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 6:25 PM

Beloved:
How do you get that pop-up with 185 in the wheel to appear? I am unable to duplicate this and it may hold the key to what's going on in your case.

That's normal when selecting (hovering) over the suggested lemma

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 6:35 PM

Francis:

Do you get any search results from these bibles e.g. Bible Search for "God"? Basic Search for "God"

If "No", try reindex NASB95 in the Go/Command box. If you quickly type/paste reindex niv84 after that, they should be indexed together.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2335
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 6:53 PM

Dave Hooton:
That's normal when selecting (hovering) over the suggested lemma

I searched high and low and can find this selection nowhere. Where is it? Edit: I already have hover set on Corresponding words same lemma.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 25038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 9:55 PM

After you type g:kosmos in Bible Search, two suggestions appear below it. Hover over the first suggestion to get the tool tip with the 185.

There is no Setting for this.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2335
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 12:11 AM

Dave Hooton:

After you type g:kosmos in Bible Search, two suggestions appear below it. Hover over the first suggestion to get the tool tip with the 185.

It must not hold for MacOS.

Posts 25038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 12:18 AM

Beloved:

Sad

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 12:59 AM

Beloved:

Dave Hooton:

Replicated lack of 185 tool tip hover using Logos 8.6 Beta 1 on macOS 10.14.5

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 6:57 AM

Well, well, well: try my search above but make sure you do any search that works first with results aligned. Leave it to aligned, then run the lemma search.

I found that it works if the search was left on "verses" but it does not on "aligned".

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 8:27 AM

Francis:

Result:

I'm wondering if your installation may need to rebuild the index for NASB. I followed your steps 1,2,3 and got the expected results:

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 9:10 AM

Will rebuild the index and see what happens. Sigh...

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 11:23 PM

Rebuilt index. Seems to have solved the problem. 

Posts 25038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 16 2019 6:46 AM

Good.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2679
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2019 8:41 AM

Beloved:

Francis:

Result: 

Francis,

I don't have an answer for your dilemma, but what I do have is a question that may get to the bottom of it. How do you get that pop-up with 185 in the wheel to appear? I am unable to duplicate this and it may hold the key to what's going on in your case.

I've filed a bug report for the missing pop-up on macOS. Thanks for reporting this.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS