OT: Suggestions for from reading from Catholics?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 12 2019 9:37 AM

In light of the recent "post-liberal" (I prefer less prejudiced "classical tradition", from MacIntyre) v "classical liberal" debate among political conservatives I went back and re-read Alasdair MacIntyre's excellent book After Virtue.

But my understanding is that other Catholics have been making similar arguments since MacIntyre (and I guess have always had a rocky relationship with CL?). But I've remained largely unaware of this. The issue itself has only been in my periphery since I first encountered MacIntyre several years ago. Re-reading MacIntyre, I find this a fascinating and fruitful area for debate. 

Can anyone here recommend more sources, in or out of Logos, that develop these ideas (doesn't have to be the same exact framework that MacIntyre develops)? I know Robert George and Adrian Vermule might give some info and I've had some George books on my reading list for a while, but any specific recommendations of these two authors would also be welcome.

Thanks!

(Also, the non-Catholic members are free to chime in of course! But my understanding is the they have done more work in this area and been more cognizant of the issue.)

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2019 9:44 AM

P.S. Articles are welcome, but I would prefer books.

Posts 125
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 10:59 AM

If you like Macintyre, you will love Charles Taylor, who is also critical of liberalism. His A Secular Age is one of the major works of contemporary Catholic philosophy. James K.A. Smith wrote a short book introducing Taylor: https://www.logos.com/product/43884/how-not-to-be-secular

The most comprehensive internet resources for articles and podcasts on this topic is the Josias: https://thejosias.com/

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 11:09 AM

Thanks. I've already read Taylor (much of it twice) and Smith's companion (pretty sure I requested Taylor's work be brought to Logos just a few months ago). However that was prior to re-reading MacIntyre, when what he was saying it started to click for me. As I said, a lot of this has been in my peripheral for a while (read Dreher sometime last year too). But the post-liberal controversy (sparked via Sohrab Ahmari v David French) really brought it into my focus and some of the pieces fell into place. Will probably have to go back and read Taylor again.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS