Errors in Lexham SGNT notes?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 37
Madison | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 13 2019 7:38 PM

I have the Lexham SGNT notes (both normal and SBL edition) and they all seem to have an error in parsing γεγέννηται with the root as γινομαι. Even the Louw-Nida entry linked says it is γεννάω. This error is repeated tons of times throughout both volumes.

Anyone have any insight on this or how to report it? It isn't a spelling problem but rather a major factual problem.

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 9:10 AM

Hi Madison.

The root analysis of the Greek New Testament has similarities with (but is not a simple reproduction of) Trenchard's analysis (pp. 5–126 of The Student's Complete Vocabulary Guide to the Greek New Testament).

As the analysis is applied in Logos, we've basically gathered groups of related lemmas that are roughly linguistically related or derived. Each of these groups needs a label which ends up displayed as the "root". The “root” used as the label for the group is typically the most common word/lemma within the group. Where such an assignment does not make sense, the label has been reviewed and made more appropriate. Typically labels are verb, noun or adjective forms of the word representing the basic, underlying concept or formation.

I'll file a case to review the label γινομαι for the group of associated lemmas. Thanks for the feedback.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 37
Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 12:35 AM

Thanks for your reply, Rick.

I just found another problem. πλανάτω has the root incorrectly listed as πλανη throughout the Lexham SGNT notes. The root is πλαναω, as the ESV interlinear and UBS hover-over notes correctly state.

To be frank, I'm not very confident in there reliability of this resource now.

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 11:22 AM

Hi Madison.

I think there is confusion between the terms "root" and "lemma". In the notes, the "root" refers to an underlying form/concept behind cognate forms of the word, so the "root" here is representative of all noun/verb/etc. formations of the word. For example, the noun αγαπη and the verb αγαπαω  share the same root, in this analysis labeled as αγαπαω, which makes different sorts of searching possible.

The lemma (viewable from the LSGNT resource; alternately in the link via Louw-Nida) is the form one would look up in a lexicon, and the form you would find in the ESV reverse interlinear or other Greek New Testaments. There is no expectation that roots and lemmas should always match (sometimes they will). 

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2019 11:58 AM

I think Madison is coming from a perspective where "root" has a narrower, technical meaning.

However you want to define "root", it has been my suggestion to set out your definitions and conventions as appropriate. This would go a long way to enhance usability and fulfill the requirements of academic rigor.

Cross-references:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/59884.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/70746.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS