Resource Type Incorrect for One of Not Your Average Bible Study Series

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2784
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 29 2019 1:28 PM

I just bought this series "Not Your Average Bible Study Series" ed. by John Barry. Looking forward to using it, but one of the titles is mis labelled in Type. All of them are showing as Bible Commentary type. However the Parables: Portraits of God's Kingdom in Matthew, Mark and Luke is showing as a monograph. This does't seem to be right. If I'm wrong sorry for bothering anyone, but I'd expect them all to be considered commentaries.

https://www.logos.com/product/42409/not-your-average-bible-study-series

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 1:32 PM

Typically commentaries cover a single biblical book... although some are multi volume (i.e. Psalms) while others cover several smaller biblical books (i.e. pastoral epistles). Commentaries also are typically indexed by reference. 

I don't know where that puts this particular resource. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1318
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 1:40 PM

All of the other NYABS volumes have book and chapter sections / tagging, with no other tagging (it seems). So they could be considered as a commentary, although they really are not when you review the content.

The Psalms volume does not have book and chapter sections or tagging, so it technically should be a monograph. I know it seems odd that different volumes in a series are different types, but it looks like they''ve got them identified correctly to me.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 4:27 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
All of them are showing as Bible Commentary type. However the Parables: Portraits of God's Kingdom in Matthew, Mark and Luke is showing as a monograph.

None of them are bible commentaries. They are bible studies. It happens that most of them can be shoe-horned into Commentaries with bible chapters as milestones (not verses). The Parables volume has mixed Matthew, Mark and Luke references for each study part, so milestones cannot be assigned unambiguously i.e. in strict canonical order.

I tag volumes like these as Notes, and exclude them from my Commentary collections.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS