Discourse Analyses for Hebrew (OT) & Greek (NT)?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 375
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 16 2019 2:57 AM

I posted this query on another thread (appreciate the response Denise), but wanted to run it by the general population on these forums, perhaps for a little more input.

I am really intrigued by the discourse analyses works, but am not sure which one’s to get.  I have been looking at these:

https://www.logos.com/product/81254/lexham-discourse-bible

https://www.logos.com/product/135990/lexham-discourse-commentaries

https://www.logos.com/product/27498/the-lexham-discourse-hebrew-bible

https://www.logos.com/product/180785/the-lexham-discourse-greek-new-testament

I want something that has the English alongside the Hebrew/Greek for those who don’t read original languages.  This way they can trek along w. the author’s original thought flow in presentations, papers, etc.—as opposed to just staring blankly at words they know nothing about.  

Not sure if datasets are worth the extra $$, but neither do I want to skimp on important info. just to save some money.  Not really too interested in the High Definition works personally (I already own a lot of exegetical volumes), but am highly interested in the actual discourse works.  I recently wrapped up Hebrew 1 and am dabbling in Greek 2 and am wanting to remain active in original language works (I am amazed at how quickly you can lose it if you don’t use it).

Finally, I was hoping for something I could copy-paste into exegetical papers.  I am hoping to start writing again early next year and from what I can see externally, this seems like a great additional tool to have.  Would appreciate any advice or input perhaps from anyone who already owns these (?).

Probably late at night before I can respond, but thank you in advance!

Posts 32511
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 16 2019 2:47 PM

I would suggest that you begin by reading a textbook on discourse analysis so that you understand what information can be provided by the datasets. Also remember that the datasets were computer generated then edited so there are codings that you should disagree with while understanding why Logos presents the data they do. These are not errors so much as simplifications to make the data possible.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 375
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 16 2019 11:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

I would suggest that you begin by reading a textbook on discourse analysis so that you understand what information can be provided by the datasets. Also remember that the datasets were computer generated then edited so there are codings that you should disagree with while understanding why Logos presents the data they do. These are not errors so much as simplifications to make the data possible.

Wowsie—With the exception of Runge, I was not aware of these resources.  Runge’s endorsements are staggering.  Can you imagine Wallace saying he learned some things about Greek grammar from someone🤓?!  Speaks highly of Dr. Runge’s expertise IMO.

I‘m considering just pulling the plug on all of these—including the links I provided in the OP.  Based upon your overview above regarding datasets (& my own gut feeling), I’m thinking I will want the datasets along w. the original language discourses.  

The entire Bible in Hebrew (OT) & Greek (NT) already discoursed out sounds like a wonderful resources to have for serious textual analysis and exegesis-proper.  

Thanks much MJ (I was actually hoping you would chime in😊)!

Posts 2349
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 17 2019 11:56 AM

Puddin’:
I want something that has the English alongside the Hebrew/Greek for those who don’t read original languages.

Here is a sample of what the Hebrew dataset looks like activated in the NIV2011

Here is a sample of what the GREEK dataset looks like in the NIV2011

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 375
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 12:35 AM

Thanks much David.  Precisely what I’m looking for!

I assume the data sets are all of the sigla-styled markers/abbreviations.  They appear hyperlinked and I assume if I am using an iPad I can just tap on the hyperlink to inform me of the meanings (?).

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could inform me which package I should acquire for my needs.  That is, the Hebrew & Greek texts with datasets and English translation (or, does the English translation come from my library?).

Thank you all again.  

Posts 24768
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 1:10 AM

Puddin’:
They appear hyperlinked and I assume if I am using an iPad I can just tap on the hyperlink to inform me of the meanings (?).

They are hyperlinked but they are not currently exposed in the mobile apps so you won't see them on your iPad

Posts 375
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 1:15 AM

Graham Criddle:

Puddin’:
They appear hyperlinked and I assume if I am using an iPad I can just tap on the hyperlink to inform me of the meanings (?).

They are hyperlinked but they are not currently exposed in the mobile apps so you won't see them on your iPad

Ahh—thanks Graham👍.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS