Looking for Group Bible Study Resources

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 24 2019 3:58 PM

I teach an adult Sunday School class.  We do not use a curriculum but instead select books to use as our study guide.  Each week I create 5 to 8 discussion questions and email them to class members and use those questions to guide the lesson.  We have used various types of resources over the years from studies on books of the Bible (e.g. Wiersbe "Be Series" books), studies on Biblical individuals (e.g. The Thirteen Apostles, Twelve Extraordinary Women) and topical studies (e.g. Parables of Jesus, Grace).  We are currently studying "Messiah in the Feasts of Israel" by Sam Nadler.  

Our studies are typically 10-13 weeks long.  We strive to find books for $12 or less in print.  Ideally (but not required), we use books with discussion questions at the end of each chapter.  I come up with questions myself if the book does not have them or if I'm not particularly fond of the questions.  The books usually have 15-20 pages per chapter with substantive content (e.g. commentary). 

Selfishly, I'd like us to use resources that have been digitized for Logos and would really appreciate Logos resource recommendations from the Logos community. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Posts 384
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2019 9:24 PM

How about just a Bible study booklet that focuses on the Bible itself without much commentary. Question driven. I have used the Navigators' Lifechange Bible Studies New Testament and found the questions good for sparking study and discussion. Unfortunately, the series is not yet live in LOGOS - still in prepub. Also they are a bit pricey in LOGOS. I bought a wealth of studies as part of another software package years ago at a fraction of the price.

I have also used MacArthur's Bible Studies with some good results. He provides much more commentary in his, but his questions are not as good or extensive as Navigators. However, they are in LOGOS and are decently priced.

Posts 3270
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 6:08 AM

The two I have used thus far for class are: 

MacArthur bible studies: https://www.logos.com/search?query=MacArthur%20Bible%20studies&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all

For you series: https://www.logos.com/product/163392/judges-for-you 

- logos doesn’t have many of these but more are coming I believe

I have also used the Wiersbe bible studies but logos took them out of ebooks And still hasn’t added them into logos

Posts 60
Robert Kostenbauder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 7:59 AM

You might look at Irving Jensen's Bible Study booklets, available in Logos.  I have found them useful over the years.

Posts 96
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 8:58 AM

Ralph Wood:

I teach an adult Sunday School class.  We do not use a curriculum but instead select books to use as our study guide.  Each week I create 5 to 8 discussion questions and email them to class members and use those questions to guide the lesson.  We have used various types of resources over the years from studies on books of the Bible (e.g. Wiersbe "Be Series" books), studies on Biblical individuals (e.g. The Thirteen Apostles, Twelve Extraordinary Women) and topical studies (e.g. Parables of Jesus, Grace).  We are currently studying "Messiah in the Feasts of Israel" by Sam Nadler.  

Our studies are typically 10-13 weeks long.  We strive to find books for $12 or less in print.  Ideally (but not required), we use books with discussion questions at the end of each chapter.  I come up with questions myself if the book does not have them or if I'm not particularly fond of the questions.  The books usually have 15-20 pages per chapter with substantive content (e.g. commentary). 

Selfishly, I'd like us to use resources that have been digitized for Logos and would really appreciate Logos resource recommendations from the Logos community. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ralph, have you ever looked at the Crossway Knowing the Bible series? I think they are great for group studies. It is mainly a study guide, so the Bible text would be the main point of emphasis, but they do add a significant amount of textual and theological comment to the study. This is just my suggestion as someone who happens to also work for Faithlife.
https://www.logos.com/search?query=A%2012-Week%20Study&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all

Posts 655
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 4:29 AM

Hi Ralph:

The following looks interesting:

https://www.logos.com/product/38038/good-questions-collection

Peace and grace.

Posts 2344
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 7:12 AM

Here are some studies on Joseph, Abraham, Jacob.

https://www.logos.com/product/31438/studies-in-faithful-living-patriarchs-collection

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS