Question about "The Works of Saint Augustine (21st edition)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1244
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 6 2019 8:50 PM

So I got in on this when it was on prepub. I am somewhat disappointed that the expositions are not showing up in the passage guide (?). 

Is this on purpose? Will it be updated?

Posts 88
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2019 6:10 AM

Also hoping that this is simply an oversight and these will show up alongside the older translations: Exp. of the Book of Psalms I-VI and the two volumes from the ACW series.

Another note, the second volume of the Expositions of the Psalms (33-50) is tagged as "Sermons", while the other five volumes are marked as "Commentary".

Posts 1244
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2019 8:06 PM

Kevin Clemens:

Also hoping that this is simply an oversight and these will show up alongside the older translations: Exp. of the Book of Psalms I-VI and the two volumes from the ACW series.

Another note, the second volume of the Expositions of the Psalms (33-50) is tagged as "Sermons", while the other five volumes are marked as "Commentary".

Agreed, I am surprised that no Faithlife employee has addressed this yet. $999.00 is a lot of money to put out.........

Posts 1051
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 8 2019 1:14 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

So I got in on this when it was on prepub. I am somewhat disappointed that the expositions are not showing up in the passage guide (?). 

Is this on purpose? Will it be updated?

We mis-catagorized a few titles and they've now been fixed. All of the Expositions on the Psalms are classified as Sermons now.

Because they're sermons, the Expositions of the Psalms, Sermons, and the two collections of homiles on 1 John and John should appear in the Passage Guide under Sermons. The caveat being that the reference range for the homily needs to be explicitly identified in the text. This means Psalms, 1 John, and John will have much greater coverage.

As I walked through the titles I found some borderline cases that I think would be better served by adding references to make them appear in the Passage Guide under Sermons but overall they're small in number.

Posts 1244
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 8 2019 8:10 PM

Is there a reason expositions like Psalms are in "Sermons" as opposed to commentaries? For instance in "Early Church Fathers (Protestant Edition)" his works show up in commentaries.......This seems to be a much better arrangement.

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 8 2019 10:14 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
This seems to be a much better arrangement.

I have consistently argued that the ECF is wrong in treating sermons as commentaries as it skews studying the history of sermons.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS