Logos overstepping boundaries on promoting products

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Jeff Rodrigues | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 21 2019 7:55 AM

Hello,

I'm writing in order to raise concerns regarding the methods Logos is using to promote their products that I'm becoming very dissatisfied with, and it's causing me to consider no longer purchasing their products in the future.  It's one thing when you're on mailing lists in which you're being promoted products, then you unsubscribe from those mailing lists, and that's the end of that.  But when it starts to happen continually within the Logos Bible Software in ways that you haven't allowed beforehand, I'm getting very frustrated with this. 

For me, it began happening relating to the settings in my Logos software.  On my opening screen settings, I had previously disabled all blog excepts.  Then a few months ago, as a result of a Logos software update, the "Logos Blog" option was re-enabled on its own, so I disabled it again.  Then after another recent update, the "Logos Blog" option again was re-enabled on its own, so I've now had to disable it again.  I don't appreciate Logos arranging to change my blog excerpt settings that I haven't authorized.

Also, after a recent Logos software update, the following comes up on the opening screen every time I open Logos Bible Software...

"Up-level your Logos experience with more features and a specially-curated library" (with a "Recommend for me" click link next to it)

If I click the check mark to remove the notification, then close Logos and re-open it, the notification comes up again, and it continues to come up each time Logos is opened.  And there's no option to remove any future notifications of this type in the software.  Not happy about this.

This is causing me to become very dissatisfied with Logos.  If they're going to continue to use these methods to shove promotions down my throat, I'm going to quit purchasing anything from Logos in the future.  And an apology from Logos, without any change in the above issues, isn't going to fix this.

Posts 22004
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 8:04 AM

Hi Jeff - and welcome to the forums

I can understand how what you describe would be very frustrating.

Jeff Rodrigues:
On my opening screen settings, I had previously disabled all blog excepts.  Then a few months ago, as a result of a Logos software update, the "Logos Blog" option was re-enabled on its own, so I disabled it again.  Then after another recent update, the "Logos Blog" option again was re-enabled on its own, so I've now had to disable it again.  I don't appreciate Logos arranging to change my blog excerpt settings that I haven't authorized.

I haven't seen this behaviour - it sounds very strange.

Jeff Rodrigues:

Also, after a recent Logos software update, the following comes up on the opening screen every time I open Logos Bible Software...

"Up-level your Logos experience with more features and a specially-curated library" (with a "Recommend for me" click link next to it)

If I click the check mark to remove the notification, then close Logos and re-open it, the notification comes up again, and it continues to come up each time Logos is opened.  And there's no option to remove any future notifications of this type in the software.  Not happy about this.

Do you have "My Logos Messages" enabled on the homepage? If so, I wonder if this is the cause of these messages.

If you above doesn't help I would recommend, though, contacting Faithlife directly to discuss this with them. These forums are mainly for users and while people from Faithlife may see and respond to it there is no guarantee that this will happen.

And as users there is nothing we can actually do to help address the issues you raise - unless suggestion about configuration settings alleviate the issue.

Graham 

Posts 5
Jeff Rodrigues | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 8:13 AM

"My Logos Messages" is and has been disabled, yet the notification I mentioned about continues to come up.

I could contact Faithlife directly, but I have a hunch that it wouldn't make a difference unless I first bring these issues up publicly here for others to be aware of.

Posts 44
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 8:36 AM

I noticed the same behavior after a recent Logos 8 update. Unchecking the one box checked in the Explore section settings control of the Homepage just did not stick. I then tried checking only the "From Your Library Box" and then cycled the Homepage on and off. Seeing that only the chosen excerpts appeared, I then used the Explore settings control to remove the checkmark from the single category I had set. Upon closing the control for the Homepage Explore section, the page reset to the desired behavior. I think I have done this same procedure once or twice in the past after a software update. Irritating, yes. Fixable—so far, once I remember what I had done before to solve the issue.

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 136
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 8:50 AM

If the ads bother you, you can do what I do and many others do... I have my preferences set to "At Startup Open to: Blank layout" so I don't see any Logos advertisements while using the software. I find that I rarely need to visit the home page with its temptations. DevilWink 

Posts 1145
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 9:02 AM

MWW:

If the ads bother you, you can do what I do and many others do... I have my preferences set to "At Startup Open to: Blank layout" so I don't see any Logos advertisements while using the software. I find that I rarely need to visit the home page with its temptations. DevilWink 

Or better yet, have it open to your favorite layout. Yes

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 370
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 9:28 AM

I'm sorry about this, Jeff. It definitely sounds like a bug; we are investigating.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 6487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 2:16 AM

Ads don’t really bother me.  I became aware of a $10 dollar coupon in Spanish.  I cashed it already, so I’m glad the ad brought it to my attention

πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

DAL

Posts 1239
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 6:23 AM

DAL:

Ads don’t really bother me.  I became aware of a $10 dollar coupon in Spanish.  I cashed it already, so I’m glad the ad brought it to my attention

πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

DAL

Spends the next 20 minutes scrolling through the homepage looking for the coupon code :) 

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 11:52 AM

I don’t use the home page. It’s a disgrace but I still got Logos today sending me s message that popped up saying they wanted to help me to upgrade to Collectors base package and so were offering me 25% off. Problem is I already own collectors. I get useless advertisements like this intruding into the software yet never get the actual emails I want from FL despite numerous complaints on these forums and promises from staff they’d look into it. 

I can’t the last time I got the monthly connect email. FL are hopeless at communicating with customers on so many levels.

Posts 333
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 1:18 PM

DIsciple II:

I don’t use the home page. It’s a disgrace but I still got Logos today sending me s message that popped up saying they wanted to help me to upgrade to Collectors base package and so were offering me 25% off. Problem is I already own collectors. I get useless advertisements like this intruding into the software yet never get the actual emails I want from FL despite numerous complaints on these forums and promises from staff they’d look into it. 

I can’t the last time I got the monthly connect email. FL are hopeless at communicating with customers on so many levels.

Disciple II, I am sending you an email.

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 1:30 PM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):

Disciple II, I am sending you an email.

I appreciate you responding Joe, I await the email.

Posts 24
LogosEmployee

Jeff Rodrigues:

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing this, Jeff, and thanks for letting us know. I found the root cause of this and disabled it. It may still show up for you until midnight in your time zone. If it's showing up tomorrow, please respond here to let me know.  

DIsciple II:

It’s a disgrace but I still got Logos today sending me s message that popped up saying they wanted to help me to upgrade to Collectors base package and so were offering me 25% off. Problem is I already own collectors. 

This was another bug (pretty unfortunate timing!). It, too, should be fixed, if not now then by midnight your time. In this case, if you use the keystroke alt+F5 (fn+alt+F5 on a Mac), it may clear it for you right away.

I'm going to offer you the same advice as Jeff: if it's still showing up tomorrow please let us know. 

Again, I'm so sorry for this—I realize that it can't be fun to be told to buy something that you already own. 

Regarding the blog feeds turning on after you've already turned them off, we'll continue looking into this. That's certainly not intentional; we want you to have control over your homepage and the content that you see on it. 

Posts 5
Jeff Rodrigues | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 10:22 PM

After restarting Logos Bible Software, the notification on the home page is now gone.  Thank you.

That leaves the remaining issue as to whether Logos, in future updates, will no longer re-enable on its own any blog excerpt settings that I've previously disabled.  That happened to me twice in the past few months in Logos updates.  So I'll have to wait and see on that issue in the future that it doesn't happen again.

Posts 265
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2019 4:48 AM

Jeff Rodrigues:

After restarting Logos Bible Software, the notification on the home page is now gone.  Thank you.

That leaves the remaining issue as to whether Logos, in future updates, will no longer re-enable on its own any blog excerpt settings that I've previously disabled.  That happened to me twice in the past few months in Logos updates.  So I'll have to wait and see on that issue in the future that it doesn't happen again.

I'm glad they got the problem fixed for you. Generally, when there is a bug like this within Logos software, they make sure to make things right. Calling customer service is your best bet to getting things taken care of. Faithlife is a really stand-up company. 

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2019 4:03 PM

Thank you  Christina.

Posts 5
Jeff Rodrigues | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 10:26 AM

For the 3rd time in the last few months, after another recent update to the Logos Bible Software, once again a blog excerpt setting has automatically been re-enabled in my software without my consent.  I'm sick of this.  I've been purchasing Logos resources since 1998, and until they quit changing my settings in software updates, they've lost my future business.

Posts 26834
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:03 PM

Jeff Rodrigues:
For the 3rd time in the last few months, after another recent update to the Logos Bible Software, once again a blog excerpt setting has automatically been re-enabled in my software without my consent.  I'm sick of this. 

I'm puzzled as I have not experienced this. I have had visual filters affected by software changes in beta.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 641
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 5:06 PM

I just installed 8.9 (Mac). Now the Bible Study Magazine and Proclaim blog are displayed on my dashboard. What is the point of selecting preferences when Logos overrides them to promote their products?

Posts 1113
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 9:32 PM

Into Grace:

I just installed 8.9 (Mac). Now the Bible Study Magazine and Proclaim blog are displayed on my dashboard. What is the point of selecting preferences when Logos overrides them to promote their products?

I'm on Windows--I just check my home page and the Proclaim blog was on too. I don't have all of FL's feeds off, but I'm pretty sure this would have been one I had turned off; it's not relevant to my work or my interests.

Although, I rarely visit the home page at all today due to its reduced functionality in L8 and it's horribly slow loading speed--perhaps this is part of the cause of the latter?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS