Thoughts on Logos 9 Arrival?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 488
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 21 2019 6:58 PM

What is the current consensus on when Logos 9 is expected?

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 7:10 PM

8 only came out this year, didn’t it? I wouldn’t expect it before 2021 at the earliest 

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2019 7:35 PM

David Wanat:
8 only came out this year, didn’t it?

No, last year (in October, so almost exactly one year). 

David Wanat:
I wouldn’t expect it before 2021 at the earliest 

FL does not make comments on things like this, but they have gone to about a two year development cycle. I would expect Fall 2020. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1714
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 3:28 AM

JT (alabama24):
I would expect Fall 2020

Let's hope they keep Logos great

Win 10 Android 9 Fire OS 5

Posts 1992
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 4:31 AM

Based on comments on the forums and the last two cycles, I agree that we have some small amount of confidence that they would aim for fall of 2020

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8972
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 4:48 AM

My pocketbook hopes it is still at least a year away. Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 467
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 6:05 AM

Bruce Dunning:

My pocketbook hopes it is still at least a year away. Wink

Yes

Posts 3267
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 6:33 AM

I'm excited for 9 as well but let's not forget that they still have L8 features to finish...

e.g. Source Criticism dataset

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 7:13 AM

JT (alabama24):

David Wanat:
8 only came out this year, didn’t it?

No, last year (in October, so almost exactly one year). 

David Wanat:
I wouldn’t expect it before 2021 at the earliest 

FL does not make comments on things like this, but they have gone to about a two year development cycle. I would expect Fall 2020. 

A year already? It didn’t feel like that long. Time flies I guess 🙂

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 691
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 7:14 AM

Are future 9 features still being released in the old "Logos Now" fashion - or is that old news.?

Never bought into that approach myself

Shalom

Posts 2283
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 7:27 AM

Bruce Dunning:
My pocketbook hopes it is still at least a year away

I used to feel this way about a new release, but once your library reaches a certain size, the price of admission is chump change.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2019 11:34 AM

Kevin A Lewis:
Are future 9 features still being released in the old "Logos Now" fashion - or is that old news.?

Not really. A "faithlife connect" subscription provides ALL features, new & old. It isn't billed as a "tommorows features NOW" type of thing. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 368
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:16 AM

Mattillo:

still have L8 features to finish... e.g. Source Criticism dataset

Just as a point of clarification: we have already shipped the Source Criticism dataset. This is a supplemental dataset which labels the source of Old Testament passages as J, E, P, D, or L, according to Eissfeldt's 1922 analysis. You can learn more about how to use the dataset in its documentation.

To your larger point, there are some Logos 8 features that we are still working on. Two that come to mind are The Composite Gospel harmony and Text Comparison Interlinear Deuterocanon Dataset. Data for both of these are still being finalized.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 3267
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:56 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

Mattillo:

still have L8 features to finish... e.g. Source Criticism dataset

Just as a point of clarification: we have already shipped the Source Criticism dataset. This is a supplemental dataset which labels the source of Old Testament passages as J, E, P, D, or L, according to Eissfeldt's 1922 analysis. You can learn more about how to use the dataset in its documentation.

To your larger point, there are some Logos 8 features that we are still working on. Two that come to mind are The Composite Gospel harmony and Text Comparison Interlinear Deuterocanon Dataset. Data for both of these are still being finalized.

i stand corrected; my apologies and thank you for the updates 

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 11:05 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
This is a supplemental dataset which labels the source of Old Testament passages as J, E, P, D, or L, according to Eissfeldt's 1922 analysis.

I hope this is not considered "completed" as I would like Mowinkel's Jeremiah which is in AFAT and used to be readily available i.e. before base of the interlinears/reverse interlinears was done. And some version(s) of the Gospel/Q should also be added.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5089
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 11:43 AM

The Notes tool is far from finished, there is lots to be done to get it up to an acceptable standard. i have no interest in Logos 9 until the Notes Tool works correctly across all platform. I would also think there is more work to be done on the ST dataset to expand its coverage.

Posts 6483
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 12:22 PM

Accordance will be releasing Version 13 soon and their “Sermon Editor” (called Paper) will finally blow Logos’s sermon editor out of the water! They have improved it on so many levels it’s going to be the best sermon builder tool ever.  And to think Logos was, in my opinion, only one step away from reaching perfection and the number 1 spot for sermon editor tool  — but they never added the ability to insert pictures that zoom in and out on the main points and subpoints of the sermon editor to help people who present from their screen to avoid using PowerPoint all together.  Accordance’s sermon editor (Paper) even has the ability to collapse and un-collapse the outline’s subpoints and sub-subpoints so you can present one point at a time! And they’ll be improving their sermon editor even more upon version 13’s release! How about that! After all, isn’t writing sermons just as important as other features for studying and teaching God’s Word?

DAL

Ps. You can even add hyperlinks and create your own customized  links in Paper; something so basic you can’t do with Logos’s sermon editor.

Posts 5089
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 12:44 PM

Accordance also has Carta, just saying ....

DAL:

Accordance will be releasing Version 13 soon and their “Sermon Editor” (called Paper) will finally blow Logos’s sermon editor out of the water! They have improved it on so many levels it’s going to be the best sermon builder tool ever.  And to think Logos was, in my opinion, only one step away from reaching perfection and the number 1 spot for sermon editor tool  — but they never added the ability to insert pictures that zoom in and out on the main points and subpoints of the sermon editor to help people who present from their screen to avoid using PowerPoint all together.  Accordance’s sermon editor (Paper) even has the ability to collapse and un-collapse the outline’s subpoints and sub-subpoints so you can present one point at a time! And they’ll be improving their sermon editor even more upon version 13’s release! How about that! After all, isn’t writing sermons just as important as other features for studying and teaching God’s Word?

DAL

Posts 169
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 12:52 PM

DAL:

DAL

Ps. You can even add hyperlinks and create your own customized  links in Paper; something so basic you can’t do with Logos’s sermon editor.

Accordance 13's new note markup tool also looks awesome.  Markers/arrows that resizes automatically if the text is resized???  Amazing.  They're also getting Dark Mode!  PDF Import.  These features may be enough to for me to run Accordance along side Logos.  And I'd gain access to Sacred Bridge also.

I think Faithlife should pay very close attention.

Posts 3252
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 1:08 PM

A gentle reminder that the forum guidelines ask us not to promote or link to competitors.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS