Got my learn Greek and Hebrew today

Page 2 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 91 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 11:32 AM

Larry Heflin:
Arrived today in Austin TX

Good!  Maybe I will get mine in Tucson, AZ.  The only problem with my mailman is that he comes like at 4 or 5 pm for some reason.  I have never seen him or my mail before 330 pm. 

Posts 21
Norman Low | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:55 AM

I just got mine yesterday by US postal mail in Castro Valley, CA. Before I make some comments, let me give you a perspective of where I am coming from. I had Greek and Hebrew in seminary but have not kept up with it. My day job is as a training manager in a high tech company. I've seen and used computer-based training. I have only seen about 15 minutes of one tutorial on the genitive. All I can say is that this product is simply stunning. It is clear for the novice. It uses superb demos of how to use Logos. I was impressed with the fact that it is very concise - it doesn't waste your time. I am sure that the individual sessions will be viewed more than once to get the fullest benefit. Even at $500, this product is worth it.

Posts 2482
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:09 AM

By the way, the videos will also play in the VLC Media Player.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:54 AM

NormanLow:

I just got mine yesterday by US postal mail in Castro Valley, CA. Before I make some comments, let me give you a perspective of where I am coming from. I had Greek and Hebrew in seminary but have not kept up with it. My day job is as a training manager in a high tech company. I've seen and used computer-based training. I have only seen about 15 minutes of one tutorial on the genitive. All I can say is that this product is simply stunning. It is clear for the novice. It uses superb demos of how to use Logos. I was impressed with the fact that it is very concise - it doesn't waste your time. I am sure that the individual sessions will be viewed more than once to get the fullest benefit. Even at $500, this product is worth it.

Thanks for sharing that. I, too, had Greek and Hebrew in seminary and did well with them. However, I let the languages slide while doing my PhD and made several abortive attempts over the years to pick them up again. Hopefully this will be more successful.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:16 AM

Got Mine today in MI.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2112
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:25 AM

My copy also arrived today, in Ohio.

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:39 AM

I live just over the border, about an hour from Logos headquarters. No luck yet...perhaps they ship from elsewhere??

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:32 PM

MathewVoth:

I live just over the border, about an hour from Logos headquarters. No luck yet...perhaps they ship from elsewhere??

Matthew,

We do ship direct from our offices in Bellingham, however, the postal service tells us that the shipping time to Canada can take anywhere between 6-8 weeks. This information has come directly from the postal service, so we do have to go off of what they tell us for the time it can take for a product to arrive. It could arrive earlier than the 6-8 weeks, but that is the approximate time the Postal Service tells us it takes for something shipped from Logos to arrive in Canada.

Deborah Mickens
Logos Bible Software, Marketing
dmickens@logos.com

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 19220
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:38 PM

Deborah Mickens:

MathewVoth:

Matthew,

We do ship direct from our offices in Bellingham, however, the postal service tells us that the shipping time to Canada can take anywhere between 6-8 weeks. This information has come directly from the postal service, so we do have to go off of what they tell us for the time it can take for a product to arrive. It could arrive earlier than the 6-8 weeks, but that is the approximate time the Postal Service tells us it takes for something shipped from Logos to arrive in Canada.

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Arggh! Me too. I'm in Vancouver. Too bad we couldn't have just driven down to pick them up. Sad  By the time we get ours, V1.1 will have been released to fix the editing errors.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:52 PM

Deborah Mickens:
... however, the postal service tells us that the shipping time to Canada can take anywhere between 6-8 weeks

WOW - I'm in shock. Someone could walk there in 6-8 weeks! Don't the postal service have cars, airplanes, trucks?

No need to reply, I'm just reacting to what seems such an unexpected answer. Sad

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:58 PM

Rosie Perera:

Deborah Mickens:

MathewVoth:

Matthew,

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Arggh! Me too. I'm in Vancouver. Too bad we couldn't have just driven down to pick them up. Sad  By the time we get ours, V1.1 will have been released to fix the editing errors.

Rosie,

Since this product has already shipped, this information isn't pertinent for this specific product, but for future reference. Smile If there is a product (Pre-Pub or otherwise) that you want to pick up instead of having it shipped, that can be arranged, just let the sales person that you are talking to know, and they will make note of that so we do not ship the product to you. If the product you want to pick up is a Pre-Pub, as soon as you get the email saying that the product is ready to ship, call either the sales representative you ordered the product from and let them know you want to pick the product up in person instead of having it mailed. However, if you ordered it online, just call anyone in sales and let them know you would like to pick up the product.

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:01 PM

JimT:

Deborah Mickens:
... however, the postal service tells us that the shipping time to Canada can take anywhere between 6-8 weeks

WOW - I'm in shock. Someone could walk there in 6-8 weeks! Don't the postal service have cars, airplanes, trucks?

No need to reply, I'm just reacting to what seems such an unexpected answer. Sad

Jim,

I know you said no need to reply, but the Postal Service says 6-8 weeks as they want to give enough time for the product to go through customs and they are taking into account any issues that might arise with the process of going through customs.

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 19220
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:11 PM

Deborah Mickens:

JimT:

Deborah Mickens:

Jim,

I know you said no need to reply, but the Postal Service says 6-8 weeks as they want to give enough time for the product to go through customs and they are taking into account any issues that might arise with the process of going through customs.

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

My experience is it's usually much less than this. Usually more like 1-2 weeks.

Deborah, as for driving down to pick up a product, I was partially serious, but actually I would much rather that all products hereafter always be download only. When I order a pre-pub and get the email saying it's ready for me, then all I need to do is restart Logos and I'm off and running. Smile

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:16 PM

Rosie Perera:

Deborah Mickens:

JimT:

Deborah Mickens:

Jim,

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

My experience is it's usually much less than this. Usually more like 1-2 weeks.

Deborah, as for driving down to pick up a product, I was partially serious, but actually I would much rather that all products hereafter always be download only. When I order a pre-pub and get the email saying it's ready for me, then all I need to do is restart Logos and I'm off and running. Smile

Rosie,

We are working on making all of our products from here on out download only. In fact, all of the new Pre-Pubs we are working on are available to order via download only.

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:18 PM

V1.1? Whats that all about?

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:22 PM

Deborah Mickens:
We are working on making all of our products from here on out download only. In fact, all of the new Pre-Pubs we are working on are available to order via download only.

Sorry - off topic a little now, BUT ...

I was maybe going to purchase one of the Study Bible products, but its about US$45 and was going to be another US$22 or so to ship, so I decided to NOT purchase it. I've done this a few times now (not purchased due to freight charges).

I live 1/2 a world away from the US, but by Internet its not an option for the moment. (My unlimited ISP data plan has been discountinued, but some of us still have it until we are forced to its capped replacement.)

Posts 19220
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:34 PM

John Kight:

V1.1? Whats that all about? 

It was only speculation/hope/joking on my part. There have been a number of glitches reported in the DVDs (e.g., a couple of missing letters in the Greek alphabet in the first lesson!) so I'm guessing there will be some revision made, hopefully soon, and hopefully it will be available for download. One of the DVD's creators has promised a download fix is coming soon: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18205.aspx

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:34 PM
just got mine today.  they might have come yesterday, but i hadn't checked the church mail.  Michigan

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
It was only speculation/hope/joking on my part. There have been a number of glitches reported in the DVDs (e.g., a couple of missing letters in the Greek alphabet in the first lesson!) so I'm guessing there will be some revision made, hopefully soon, and hopefully it will be available for download.

Frankly as excited (Pushy in my case) we were about getting them, there was a really good chance that technical issues would creep in. Add to that fact that this was/is not the core competency of Logos and the probability became even greater. Such is life, Logos will make good on their product and this little hiccup will soon be forgotten.

Posts 19220
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:00 PM

Terry Poperszky:

Rosie Perera:
It was only speculation/hope/joking on my part. There have been a number of glitches reported in the DVDs (e.g., a couple of missing letters in the Greek alphabet in the first lesson!) so I'm guessing there will be some revision made, hopefully soon, and hopefully it will be available for download.

Frankly as excited (Pushy in my case) we were about getting them, there was a really good chance that technical issues would creep in. Add to that fact that this was/is not the core competency of Logos and the probability became even greater. Such is life, Logos will make good on their product and this little hiccup will soon be forgotten.

Yes, perhaps we pestered them so much that they cut corners in proof-checking. There's always a trade-off in software development (and any product development for that matter) between time to market and quality assurance. Either way, a company is guaranteed to tick off some of their customers. They can't win. Plus they have to balance the cost of deferring sales revenue with the cost of producing a bugfix release. It's hard to predict when is the best time to release it. Now that users are getting more used to patch releases on the fly all over the industry, I think we'll see more and more of these sorts of decisions to go for releasing before things have been thoroughly checked for errors. Also I think in general, people's editorial skills are getting weaker in these days of spell-checkers and cost-cutting measures. Many book publishers don't even have copy editors on staff anymore. It's a dying art. And Logos doesn't have any real software test engineers in their ranks, though they would like to hire a test manager who could develop that neglected part of the company. We beta testers simply do too good of a job for them to worry about it all that much when other things are pressing on them.

Page 2 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS