Got my learn Greek and Hebrew today

Page 3 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 91 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:13 PM

Crazy! I haven't had a chance watch any of the videos, but seems kinda hard to miss letters in the Greek alphabet...what do you think?

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:35 PM

I recieved mine yesterday, and immediately went to work. The auto run did not work correctly, but I got it started byclicking on the files. I'm certain one of the local gurus knows how to install them on our hard drive.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 3:10 PM

Mine made it to upstate South Carolina this afternoon. I plan to get started with it tomorrow morning.

Edit: Check that. My wife just told me she hasn't checked the mail today. She had laid the DVD on a table yesterday and I didn't see it till this evening. Smile

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 3:59 PM

Deborah Mickens:
the product to go through customs

Jim,

It sounds like Canada wants to limit the amount of bible reading and/or studying.....   Big Smile  

William

Just Kidding

Posts 1350
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:28 PM

Will this DVD play in a regular DVD player..... hoping to watch it on a large screen and follow on my laptop....

Posts 40
Hector Marquez | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:29 PM

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon to my mailbox in Puerto Rico through USPS.  I was not able to run the DVD's with Media Player 11; was able to run each individual file using RealPlayer SP.  Took the introductory view on the Greek tools training  and the next view which dealt with the greek alphabet, which I'm finally memorizing (have no greek language studies).   

Posts 32175
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:30 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
Will this DVD play in a regular DVD player..

No, the product page stated specifically that it would not ... of course if you use your plasma tv as a computer screen Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19227
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:23 PM

Hector Marquez:

Took the introductory view on the Greek tools training  and the next view which dealt with the greek alphabet, which I'm finally memorizing (have no greek language studies).   

Make sure you don't memorize the alphabet exactly as they have it in that lesson, as there are errors in it! I haven't received my DVDs yet, but from the reports of others, I've heard that delta is missing (the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet) and psi is missing, and where ypsilon appears, the pronunciation is wrong (it's the pronunciation for psi). So be careful. They are planning to release a downloadable fix for this lesson soon.

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/18205/140566.aspx#140566 and http://community.logos.com/forums/p/18205/140826.aspx#140826.

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:41 AM

These are Greek scholars behind this production and they could miss something obvious and important before release? Did no one view or edit this before producing? Kind of makes you wonder if they are too busy trying to push products out the door that they aren't paying attention to quality issues like they should. But, none of us are perfect so we can forgive them I'm sure if they throw in the BDAG as a free download. Big Smile Just Kidding, sort of. Would still like the BDAG. Maybe if enough of us ask they will give a discount to those who bought this course.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:04 AM

Dennis Miller:
These are Greek scholars behind this production and they could miss something obvious and important before release?

Well...as one who designs aircraft parts and things for a living...I can say that when you've looked at something A LOT...you kind of lose perspective...

It's really important to get some "outside eyes" to catch errors...and even then...errors creep in...and sometimes you say...(after catching them years later).."how in the world did that not get noticed!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:21 AM

I see a lot more errors in ebooks than I ever remember seeing in print editions.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:43 AM

Robert Pavich:
Well...as one who designs aircraft parts and things for a living...I can say that when you've looked at something A LOT...you kind of lose perspective...

no doubt!  That's why it is always good to get "outside" people who are not caught up in things who will notice the little details.  I do copy editing/writing in addition to ministry, and I can tell you I am MUCH more adept at finding others' mistakes than I am my own . . . incidentally, I am preaching on something about "the spek and lawg" this Sunday. . .

Stick out tongue

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 40
Hector Marquez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:11 AM

Thanks Rosie: I'm using Vine's: "You can learn New testament Greek..." as a reference.  This, of course still lacks the actual pronunciation of words (although gives you English words which produce similar sounds).  Anyway, I will check on those details you listed.  Thanks again! 

Posts 19227
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 1:42 PM

Dennis Miller:

These are Greek scholars behind this production and they could miss something obvious and important before release? Did no one view or edit this before producing?

Mike Heiser wrote to me (in email): "Johnny and I had both checked all the videos.  After our edits were incorporated, there was apparently some sort of “rendering” error (? Not sure what that is, but that’s what Reuben told us)."

(Reuben is Logos's Director of Multimedia Production.)

As Mike explained in another post on the forum, they did find those typos the day before shipping, but decided to go ahead with shipping and do a fix by download, as it would have otherwise delayed shipping and caused them to have to scrap all the DVDs that had already been duplicated. For something as glaring as this I personally would have scrapped them (DVDs are cheap, users' confidence in the company is more costly and takes a long time to earn).

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 1:49 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dennis Miller:

These are Greek scholars behind this production and they could miss something obvious and important before release? Did no one view or edit this before producing?

Mike Heiser wrote to me (in email): "Johnny and I had both checked all the videos.  After our edits were incorporated, there was apparently some sort of “rendering” error (? Not sure what that is, but that’s what Reuben told us)."

(Reuben is Logos's Director of Multimedia Production.)

As Mike explained in another post on the forum, they did find those typos the day before shipping, but decided to go ahead with shipping and do a fix by download, as it would have otherwise delayed shipping and caused them to have to scrap all the DVDs that had already been duplicated. For something as glaring as this I personally would have scrapped them (DVDs are cheap, users' confidence in the company is more costly and takes a long time to earn).

My thoughts exactly. I sent mine back today for a refund. The errors aren't terrible, but what is most frustrating is the response on Logos' part.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 1:56 PM

Rosie Perera:

Apologies if this sounds critical, but I agree with Rosie that I think it would have been better to scrap and replace.Given that Logos have decided to take an alternative route, however, it would have been more sensible (in my opinion) to make customers aware of the errors and the proposed solution (perhaps by email and the forum) before people began to discover the faults and errors for themselves.

I do not mean to be negative, but this product is a chunk out of my budget and, as an overseas customer, I will have to pay additional import costs and it will not be easy (or cheap) to return the product should it be of an unacceptable quality.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:12 PM

Andy Evans:
it would have been more sensible (in my opinion) to make customers aware of the errors and the proposed solution (perhaps by email and the forum) before people began to discover the faults and errors for themselves.

Yes +1

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:29 PM

Terry Poperszky:

Andy Evans:
it would have been more sensible (in my opinion) to make customers aware of the errors and the proposed solution (perhaps by email and the forum) before people began to discover the faults and errors for themselves.

Yes +1

Agreed. We would have understood.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3768
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:00 PM

Robert Pavich:
Agreed. We would have understood.

Especially, given the grief they took with the release of L4.  It may not have been a wrong decision, but to do it up front would have been nice.  (And I hear myself telling my church, "You don't have to be nice." Smile )

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2482
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 8:13 PM

Any time frame on when the download fix will be available?

Page 3 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS