Got my learn Greek and Hebrew today

Page 5 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 91 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 5:18 AM

Bryan Smith:

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Very excited but they won't play on my MB. Did they make a Window and Mac version? It opens on a PC. In fact I burned one lesson to a DVD which opens on my Mac. I'm calling customer service Monday but really wanted to play this weekend.

They play fine on my MBP

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:34 AM

Mine arrived here in the UK this morning.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 11:17 AM

Bryan Smith:
they won't play on my MB.

Look in the folder titled "Videos" in each "Learn to use…" folder. The lessons are all .mov which is QuickTime native. I don't know why the .html files won't play on your MB. They should open in your default web browser.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:22 PM

Graham Owen:

Mine arrived here in the UK this morning.

Hi Graham,

I am in the UK also (Manchester) and just received mine this morning... I am very impressed with the delivery time, in truth I expected it to be another week.

Also, more generally, as one who was concerned about the reports regarding the quality of this product, I am encouraged by the first few lessons. The quality appears to be excellent (the slip up with the alphabet not-withstanding... and this is being fixed).

I am very pleased and grateful.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 2:48 PM

Andy Evans:
was concerned about the reports regarding the quality of this product, I am encouraged by the first few lessons.

Andy, I feel exactly the same way.  I notice the cuts and splices in the sound but it is by no means detrimental (IMHO).  Once we can get the alephbet fixed it will all be hunky dory on my end.  Certainly worth 160 bucks.  I am even feeling like it would be worth the 500 that it is going for now.  (I really think through a sales person a deal can be had!)  I am considering these DVD's a minor form of Morris.  I have yet to go to Morris but planning on Aug 30--31 in Phx.  Sort of looking forward to it......

Ok everyone,  How is Morris's training?  What is the best thing to do to prepare for such a training?  Does he actually help create collections?  Physically step through some processes for study?  I heard that resource deals can be had there. True?

Posts 57
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:19 PM

Yes, I can see them on a PC. I have QT 10.0. Default browser is Chrome. Maybe that has something to do with it. It just spins then ejects after about 60 sec. All other DVD's seem to work fine. I'll do some more investigating. Thanks

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:22 PM

Bryan Smith:

Yes, I can see them on a PC. I have QT 10.0. Default browser is Chrome. Maybe that has something to do with it. It just spins then ejects after about 60 sec. All other DVD's seem to work fine. I'll do some more investigating. Thanks

The latest release version of QuickTime is 7.6.6 (not 10 - which is a Mac release scheduled for the coming fall). That may have something to do with it as well.

Have you tried accessing the video files directly (open the DVD drive folders with Windows Explorer and click on the video files)? If you can see the directly then the issue is between Google Chrome and QT 10. If not, then I'd guess that issue is QT 10.

EDIT: I can access these through Chrome.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:16 PM

William Bingham:

Ok everyone,  How is Morris's training? 

Very good. Exhausting! Like drinking from a firehose.

William Bingham:

What is the best thing to do to prepare for such a training? 

Get a good night's sleep! Make sure you have the latest shipped release of Logos installed on your laptop. You can do it with the latest beta version, but you might run into instability during the class, and he won't be referring to any of the features in the beta version. But he is very up-to-date! When I attended, 4.0b had just shipped the day before and he was already teaching the features in it and using it for his demos! The printed manuals he handed out were not quite that up-to-date, though. But he promised to make downloadable updates available to us. (I'm still waiting for mine...)

William Bingham:

Does he actually help create collections?  Physically step through some processes for study? 

Yes on the first, and sort of on the second. He offers a separate seminar called "The I-Beam of Message Building" (with an associated manual) that goes into more of the actual processes he uses when studying a passage to prepare a sermon.

William Bingham:

I heard that resource deals can be had there. True?

Yes, true. It was roughly 10% off. Not every Logos title by any means, just on a select sampling of things from the catalogue (CD versions; probably resources they're trying to clear out of their inventory now that they've moved to mostly download only). I picked up Luther's Works, WEA Theological Resource Library, The Preacher's Commentary series, Collegeville Catholic Reference Library, The Bible Speaks Today New Testament commentary series

Posts 57
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 4:06 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Bryan Smith:

The latest release version of QuickTime is 7.6.6 (not 10 - which is a Mac release scheduled for the coming fall). That may have something to do with it as well.

Have you tried accessing the video files directly (open the DVD drive folders with Windows Explorer and click on the video files)? If you can see the directly then the issue is between Google Chrome and QT 10. If not, then I'd guess that issue is QT 10.

EDIT: I can access these through Chrome.

Thanks Richard. Maybe I had a beta QT X. I removed it, downloaded 7.6.6 but still no luck. I went to my PC and burned the video's to a DVD.mov then transfered them to my HD on my Mac. Don' know why I couldn't access them from the original DVD. Any.... after all that Greek should be a snap. ;-)

Posts 57
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 4:19 PM

Hmmmmmm. Found another link http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18669.aspx apparently others are having the same issue.

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 6:05 AM

I haven't had any trouble on my iMac using the latest QT and Safari. Bryan what are you doing running Chrome on a mac? Have you lost your mind Bro? That's like using an NIV bible for serious study when you've got an NASB sitting on the shelf. Big Smile

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:12 AM

The problems with the Greek alphabet notwithstanding, I received my copies last week and have watched/interacted with several of the sessions. I agree that they are very high quality overall and very helpful. I would make two opservations. First, I believe that these videos will prove most helpful to folks like me who have had the languages in seminary but who has not kept up with the memorization, etc. that is necessary to stay sharp.  These videos will help use Logos to study with greater depth in the languages without investing a great deal more time. Second, I believe that they may be too heavy for most people without any background in the languages. It's important to understand that the videos absolutely do not teach anyone to read Greek, etc. in the traditional sense that you learn it in seminary. They teach the user how to use Logos to study in the languages. That is a very important distinction and why I believe that this series will prove most helpful to those with some prior background in the languages.

For someone like me, this video series and Logos 4 are worth every penny and far more!  A great resource!

Page 5 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS