Open Theism resources

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:16 PM

Hi Y'all!

I'm wondering why Logos has ignored folks like Clark Pinnock, Greg Boyd, and John Sanders et al. open theists in creating resources. I for one, would love to have some of their stuff in Logos, for example Greg Boyd's "God of the Possible", and Clark Pinnock's "The Openness of God."

I'm really feeling a bit like they might as well rename Logos4 into Calvin4 or something. The vast majority of resources seem to be geared towards extreme Calvinists.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:30 PM

I don't think Pinnock's position is defensible, but it would be useful to have the works you mention in Logos.

Kendall Sholtess:
I'm really feeling a bit like they might as well rename Logos4 into Calvin4 or something. The vast majority of resources seem to be geared towards extreme Calvinists.

We had this discussion earlier. I'm not at all convinced you're right. When counting the small number of openness resources, you should remember that (a) it's a relatively new position, which means the vast majority of works are in copyright - whilst a huge number of Calvinistic works have no copyright issues; and (b) there are a lot more Calvinists than Open Theology advocates.

Semper Reformandum : Studies in Honour of Clark H. Pinnock is available in Logos, by the way.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:33 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

I thought it was rather Arminian.  Stick out tongue

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:40 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

I expect the resources available are more indicative of those buying books, than those of LOGOS.  I know if you look at the length of time it takes Arminian resources to move through the PrePub or Community Pricing process, it becomes clear where the general interest of LOGOS's customers lie - sadly.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 59
Westie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:58 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

I'm wondering why Logos has ignored folks like Clark Pinnock, Greg Boyd, and John Sanders et al. open theists in creating resources. I for one, would love to have some of their stuff in Logos, for example Greg Boyd's "God of the Possible", and Clark Pinnock's "The Openness of God."

I'm really feeling a bit like they might as well rename Logos4 into Calvin4 or something. The vast majority of resources seem to be geared towards extreme Calvinists

I think that either the Libertarian free will of Logos users have decided that they do not see much value in these resource, or God in his providence has prevented these resources from  hitting the LOGOS prepub page…

You might want to check out the “collected works of John Frame Vol 1” .  He has a fair amount discussion on Open Theism.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 12:02 AM

Mark:
I think that either the Libertarian free will of Logos users have decided that they do not see much value in these resource, or God in his providence has prevented these resources from  hitting the LOGOS prepub page…

Big Smile

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 36346
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 12:14 AM

Mark:
You might want to check out the “collected works of John Frame Vol 1” .  He has a fair amount discussion on Open Theism.

Does he start with Calcidius? or perhaps with the Kabbalistic view of the withdrawal of God? ... I haven't heard of Pinnock, Boyd or Sanders. Frame I've looked into a bit trying to understand his theory of apologetics. You know, I feel good when someone actually recommends something I've heard of Big Smile

I will confess that the Jewish-Anglican-Lutheran-Catholic-Orthodox recommendations tend to be things I know. So I have plenty to spend my budget on without being overwhelmed by what I can't have. That's a good thing.Stick out tongue

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:06 AM

Mark:

Yes...that was funny Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 4:00 AM

Mark:

Thanks for this it was funny Big Smile.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 842
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 7:39 AM

You need to just open your heart and invite Calvin to come in. 

Wink

JRS has left the building.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 8:15 AM

JRS:

Wink

Big Smile  Big Smile  Big Smile  touché !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 9:19 AM

JRS:

Wink

I didn't think we could up the chuckle-factor but you just did...!

Robert Pavich

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 9:35 AM

Robert Pavich:
I didn't think we could up the chuckle-factor but you just did...!

Upchuck ??

george
gfsomsel

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 10:03 AM

I would like to see more Open Theism resources.  Besides one you mentioned, how about The God Who Risks by John Sanders.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1038
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 1:17 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

The vast majority of resources seem to be geared towards extreme Calvinists.

Like that pesky Apostle Paul.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 1:36 PM

MikePettit:

Kendall Sholtess:

Didn't Paul take his graduate work in Geneva?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 2:28 PM

MikePettit:

I just shot Orange soda out of my nose!

Robert Pavich

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 2:36 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

For the record...the definition of "extreme" (I assume) is equal to "hyper" Calvinist. IF that's the case...then your statement is not accurate.

(From Tim Challies Blog:)

A hyper-Calvinist is one who:

1. Denies that the gospel call applies to all who hear, OR
  2. Denies that faith is the duty of every sinner, OR
  3. Denies that the gospel makes any “offer” of Christ, salvation, or mercy to the non-elect (or denies that the offer of divine mercy is free and universal), OR
  4. Denies that there is such a thing as “common grace,” OR
  5. Denies that God has any sort of love for the non-elect.

Probably the most distinguishing characteristic of a Hyper-Calvinist is an unwillingness to evangelize at all, or to evangelize without extending a call to accept and believe the gospel.

I don't think that you meant that...you were just referring to "consistent Calvinists" right?

If I'm off base...then forget I said anything...Embarrassed

Robert Pavich

Posts 1038
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 4:31 PM

"Hyper-Calvinist" or "extreme calvinist" are both attempts to use perjorative labels as the basis for any discussion and as such will only cause a huge bun fight, as Robert points out such lables are usually based on disagreements over consistency.

It is best to just stick to the term of historic Calvinism (which by and large is of the five point variety) and leave the finer distinctions or arguments as to the biblical claims underpinning such views to theological discussion.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 4:40 PM

MikePettit:

"Hyper-Calvinist" or "extreme calvinist" are both attempts to use perjorative labels as the basis for any discussion and as such will only cause a huge bun fight, as Robert points out such lables are usually based on disagreements over consistency.

It is best to just stick to the term of historic Calvinism (which by and large is of the five point variety) and leave the finer distinctions or arguments as to the biblical claims underpinning such views to theological discussion.

You were predestined to say that....  Wink

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)

Robert Pavich

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS