Clippings and Footnotes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 291
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 15 2019 2:11 PM

Since clippings are primarily meant (according to Morris Proctor) for quotes to find its way into a paper, I'm a bit surprised to see that when you copy from a clipping and paste it into your Word-paper, it does not come with a bibliographic footnote.

Any reasons? Any thoughts?

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 3:01 PM

The bibliographic data recorded with the clipping is insufficient, as well, since it omits page numbers (and I'll assume volume numbers) when they are available.

This should be a tool that easily transfers text AND bibliographic information (including volume and page numbers), but it is not. We've recently learned of more than one scholar whose work failed to include proper citing of resources. If FL wants Clippings to serve as a tool for research, and sermon or report writing then it must allow for easy transfer of full bibliographic information.

Hopefully FL has a plan to make this tool a bit more robust. 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 206
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 8:26 PM

Michel Pauw:
when you copy from a clipping and paste it into your Word-paper, it does not come with a bibliographic footnote

I agree it is puzzling that this functionality was left out of the clipping tool... where it is certainly needed!

Posts 1734
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 3:15 AM

Mark Smith:
This should be a tool that easily transfers text AND bibliographic information (including volume and page numbers),

Agreed. I don't use clippings mainly for this very reason.

Posts 87
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 2 2020 6:59 PM

Mark Smith:

The bibliographic data recorded with the clipping is insufficient, as well, since it omits page numbers (and I'll assume volume numbers) when they are available.

This should be a tool that easily transfers text AND bibliographic information (including volume and page numbers), but it is not. We've recently learned of more than one scholar whose work failed to include proper citing of resources. If FL wants Clippings to serve as a tool for research, and sermon or report writing then it must allow for easy transfer of full bibliographic information.

Hopefully FL has a plan to make this tool a bit more robust. 

Agreed. I think it may already include the volume number, but it should include the page number as well.

Also, even online forums like Quora and Wikipedia now automatically include the number of the citation. Further, if you add new citations, it automatically renumbers everything, and inserts your footnote at the bottom of the page. 

Posts 13
James Neuendorf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2020 4:32 AM

I always just click on the clipping to open it in the original resource and copy from there, that brings the footnotes in properly, but that would be a pain for a large number of clippings at once. 

I would also like to see a way to organize clippings into sub-groups or at least use the tags with the same filtering features as the new library feature, I have a clippings document called "dissertation" where I have been dumping practically anything I come across that would be relevant, it really needs to be paired down and organized so that I can start to group the concepts, but adding the tags doesn't necessarily help since there is no easy way to filter the clippings by tag. 

Posts 23
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 12 2020 11:35 PM

Likewise, I have a big clippings document (36 pages when exported to A4) containing probably at least 50 clippings, maybe 100. Every time I read something on that topic, I add a clipping to the list. Some clippings are short sentences and others comprise several paragraphs. Dragging and dropping them to organize them is very difficult. I need a "collapsed" view of them, perhaps just showing the titles, so I can see one clipping per line and drag-and-drop them in order more easily.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS