Payment Plans Mega Expensive

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 60
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 23 2019 10:14 AM

I'm finding Logos becoming very costly. I'm a church minister and don't have a high income so rely on the payment plans. I looked at purchasing a couple of christmas offers only to find the payment plans adding 25%+ some even being 33% to the total cost..

This is simply unaffordable.

Why are payment plans so expensive? They undo any saving offered in any deals. 

Posts 174
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 11:22 AM

You might want to give them a call, I have never heard of them adding anything on to the total cost. That being said, I have never bought anything on the payment plan.

Posts 2041
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 11:44 AM

The payment plans add $5 per month to your plan, no matter the amount of the plan.  If you try to add extra plans by going through the website, then you will be charged $5 per new plan that you initiate.  If you call customer service, they will add them all together in to one plan, and one $5 charge per month.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1158
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 6:19 PM

There's a certain price point under which putting the purchase on a credit card and making monthly payments is cheaper than a Logos payment plan. Google "credit card calculator" and plug in your details to make an easy comparison.

Posts 819
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 8:46 PM

Simon Smailus:

I'm finding Logos becoming very costly. I'm a church minister and don't have a high income so rely on the payment plans. I looked at purchasing a couple of christmas offers only to find the payment plans adding 25%+ some even being 33% to the total cost..

You may have been looking at the down payment. You will have several options for the length of the payment plan and the corresponding down payment. Give CS a call if you're confused. Each month's payment, including the first, will include a $5 charge.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 8:59 PM

Payment plans work well when they are for a high value, but for a low value total spend unless you are going to pay it off in a couple of payments the $5 monthly admin fee can blow out the cost like you have found. 

Another way to look at things is If you are saving $50 but then set up the payment plan for 10 months your savings will be eaten up by the monthly fees. So if you are saving $50 from a sale and set up a payment plan for  5 months - you will then still a net $25 saving but if you can afford it and you set it up for only 3 months you are getting a net saving of $35.

As others have said for smaller purchases you might be cheaper to pay it off directly on your credit card than on a payment plan if you have the funds available on you card.

But if its a resource ( or set of resources) you need for and effectively wipe out that $50 saving with the admin fees on a 10 month payment plan because that is the rate you can afford to pay it off, then you are still ahead of the game because you are getting access to what you need rather than not getting access at all.  You need to weigh up how important it is for you to have the resources now.

Posts 60
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 4:25 AM

Many thanks for your replies. At least I'm not doing something wrong here. Sadly, Logos is becoming to expensive to add more resources. I used to purchase one main resource a year but have stopped. The payment plans have steadily increased to a point that they are no longer affordable. Calling isn't really an option as I'm in the uk.

Ironically, I'm finding far more affordable resources by purchasing print versions. I'm also buying more kindle versions for the same reason. Olivetree and Tecarta are also far cheaper. It's just a shame I can't keep all my resources in one place!

Posts 3540
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 4:50 AM

Simon Smailus:
The payment plans have steadily increased to a point that they are no longer affordable.

Not sure what has been increasing. The fee hasn’t changed in years. Are you referring to the initial payment, or fewer months to choose?

• The initial payment should the same as the monthly payment (except for a few specific products where the publisher needs a larger down payment).
  • The number of months is affected by the purchase total. Larger purchases offer more months to pay it off.

If you’re seeing something unexpected or unusual, please provide a specific example (e.g., link to a product page on the store) that FL could investigate.

If you have multiple payment plans, FL can do more than consolidate them (to eliminate multiple monthly fees). They can also adjust the number of months to pay the combined plan off. I believe they can also change the date when the monthly payment is deducted.

I’ve always found FL to be flexible and understanding in this area.

Simon Smailus:
Calling isn't really an option as I'm in the uk.

Customer Service is also available via chat and email.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 1367
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 6:05 AM

PetahChristian:

If you have multiple payment plans, FL can do more than consolidate them (to eliminate multiple monthly fees). They can also adjust the number of months to pay the combined plan off. I believe they can also change the date when the monthly payment is deducted.

I’ve always found FL to be flexible and understanding in this area.

Simon Smailus:
Calling isn't really an option as I'm in the uk.

Customer Service is also available via chat and email.

+1 Yes I usually prefer mailing Customer Service since I live in the Netherlands and English is my second foreign language. In my experience Logos CS will respond quickly. You could add "[International Customer]" to the subject line.

Posts 1183
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 9:54 AM

Simon Smailus:

Many thanks for your replies. At least I'm not doing something wrong here. Sadly, Logos is becoming to expensive to add more resources. I used to purchase one main resource a year but have stopped. The payment plans have steadily increased to a point that they are no longer affordable. Calling isn't really an option as I'm in the uk.

Ironically, I'm finding far more affordable resources by purchasing print versions. I'm also buying more kindle versions for the same reason. Olivetree and Tecarta are also far cheaper. It's just a shame I can't keep all my resources in one place!

Live chat works really well for international customers.

https://www.logos.com/contact

Posts 819
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 10:46 AM

HJ. van der Wal:

+1 Yes I usually prefer mailing Customer Service since I live in the Netherlands and English is my second foreign language. In my experience Logos CS will respond quickly. You could add "[International Customer]" to the subject line.

Once in awhile, I have CS connect me with sales when CS can't solve the issue. If you already have a purchase plan, CS or sales can add items to it on the day your payment is due or the day before and avoid one (the new one) of the $5 charges. I really like chat, but email is good too.

Posts 2400
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 25 2019 3:22 PM

Combining plans reduces it to one $5 fee. I've had multiple plans going at one point to deal with my wonky income, but one fee is cheaper. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 14
Alberto Deluca | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 8:19 AM

But I read that combining plans sometimes is worse, because the payment goes up and the time to pay it off is shortened.

Posts 819
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 9:46 AM

Alberto Deluca:

But I read that combining plans sometimes is worse, because the payment goes up and the time to pay it off is shortened.

My experience was just the opposite. I extended the length and reduced the payment. Chatting with sales might be better than CS.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 11:50 AM

Payment plans only increase if you add more to them. The monthly fee has always been $5. That has never changed. There have been at times variations on the length of plan you can take and that is determined by the total value of the plan. This might have given you the impression they have become more expensive as it might mean you have to make a higher monthly payment but overall it’s a net decrease as you are paying less in fees.

FL has not increased the total cost of payment plans. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS