( multi user ) Add My wife as a User but I don't want to mix my highlights, notes, etc.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5557
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 1:38 AM

There is much weeping and gnashing of teeth about this problem of two lots of notes created by the one body that is a marriage.

The the way forward is very simple.

Imagine you buy the book in hard copy.

Devise a system of both being able to make notes in the margin without annoying each other.

Propose solution to Logos to be applied to the book you have purchased.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 10:55 AM

Mike Binks:

There is much weeping and gnashing of teeth about this problem of two lots of notes created by the one body that is a marriage.

Devise a system of both being able to make notes in the margin without annoying each other.

I've not used it, but it seems like I remember there are ways to turn off and on certain notes, aren't there?  Does someone do that? Could this be adapted to allowing people to make notes and markings and just turn on their set?  I, too, would like the family usage aspect to be more flexible, but I get the reason why it's not, and thankful that they are allowed to use it.  Honestly, though, most of my family doesn't use Logos because it looks to complex to them.  Even the apps. Even when I show the FaithLife app, etc.  But it's installed on their devices.  They will be using it a bit more for reading, especially with the generous Logos gift the other day that had several books that are part of their homeschool reading list.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 7:41 PM

Luis Bragagnolo:

It does cost to Logos for people who doesn't practice what the Bible teaches, but it does cost me more than them! 
 Sorry Jonathan, but your logic just failed here.

There is much I could say to your attitude and unfair judgement of FL on this issue but it would end up being unkind so instead I'll leave you with some advice on the issue instead:

Be thankful for the $4,000 library that you have at your finger tips!

Deal with the inconvenience of having to share some aspects of the program the your wife!

(after all are not the two called together to become one?)

Posts 15
Luis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:10 PM

My attitude and unfair judgement...?

Do you read English? And if you read it, do you comprehend what you read?

What is your problem coming here and insulting people? Are you under some strong drug?

Really, what is your problem when you read and try to comprehend something that bring you to insult?

Posts 15
Luis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:14 PM

Let me add, if you can't wisely add a solution, or have a smart exchange of opinion, please go away and do not even bother to answer. What you wrote is such a huge lie, and false claim that os is clear that you cannot have a smart comment.

Posts 33770
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 11:54 PM

Luis, there are a number of people on the forums who do not necessarily word things in the best possible way. But they have been around long enough for most of us to have learned how to respond to them appropriately. One of our guidelines is 

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.

If the two of you were in my living room, it is you I would take aside and ask you to give a little slack until you get to know the forum members. And, if you, like my daughter, would not respond to that approach, I would ask you to explain to me what makes you react so strongly.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 1:31 AM

I NEVER recommend Logos to anyone else, and the EULA is one of the main reasons. I'm not that far from having a 50K investment in Logos, and the idea that it's use is so drastically limited still floors me. My Logos library is larger than probably 99% of the church libraries in the world...and I'm the only one with a card to use it. It's practically insane.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 1:37 AM

Luis Bragagnolo:

My attitude and unfair judgement...?

Do you read English? And if you read it, do you comprehend what you read?

What is your problem coming here and insulting people? Are you under some strong drug?

Really, what is your problem when you read and try to comprehend something that bring you to insult?

Luis Bragagnolo:

Let me add, if you can't wisely add a solution, or have a smart exchange of opinion, please go away and do not even bother to answer. What you wrote is such a huge lie, and false claim that os is clear that you cannot have a smart comment.

Despite having a Scottish surname and been born I’m Australia i can read English quite well, it is my first language. You need to step back and look at yourself before you start getting offended because someone has called you out your attitude and unfair judgement of Faithlife on this particular issue. Your response to me and other people clearly demonstrates the attitude for which I refer and it remains you are unfairly judging FL on the basis if of then implementing what are reasonable licensing restrictions. FL are the broker between us and publishers. They are also a business, they are not a charity and just because you view yourself as a law abiding Christian does not mean the publishers will agree that make a difference and you and your wife should be granted in effect two licences for the price of one. Stop being so self focussed, appreciate what you do have an just as you have to work out how share resources in other aspects of your marriage, work it out in this instance as well.

It did not make any insult toward you and still have not, I have simply questioned your attitude about the issue that seems to come from a focus on self and unwillingness to see my see FL as the  villain in this issue. You though have become the villain with your rants at people who take a different view to you.

If you came to this whole issue with a different attitude and approached It as a feature enhancement request rather than saying Logos Software Is weak and costing you more money than it would cost them to give you and your wife separate accounts to the one license because in your eyes your are both good law abiding Christians who have spent $4,000 on the software, you might have been better received.

Has not what is happening in the world at the moment taught your anything, lest of all life does not always fall the way of what we would call fair.

i hope you can move beyond this, find peace in your heart and work out with your wife how you can both together make best use of your investment in Logos software. 

Posts 15
Luis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 5:18 AM

If you make the same comment on your job about somebody, you probably would be fire.

If you make the same comment on the school, you probably would be discipline,

If you make the same comment on the Church, you probably would be also discipline,

But, hey! This is a blog, so you can say whatever you want to say without adding to the main topic, and use all kind of negligent words without fear consequences, right?. Well there you go, your malicious words had consequences, and I don't care if somebody see me like I am a villain, since I am 45 and not a child to think of that way, I can read, I can understand, and I can properly answer under CONTEXT what things have been said.  

It is more than clear that your out of CONTEXT comment came with a malicious intentions and end up in your words, because of how you accused me of something, insult me by your accusation, and YOU CANNOT SEE IT YET! but you still feel a victim of circumstances, you are amazing.

Let me give you an advice for your life in general: If you cannot add to a circumstance, do not talk, same way that you behave in your job, or school, or whatever place, do it here! Simple, Right?

Posts 2874
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 5:29 AM

Mike Binks:

One uses the left margin the other the right!  Problem Solved, for the couple, but I have no clue as how to program that as a fix in logos. 

[[and I programed in B, Cobol, C, SQL, Perl, and others for 30+ years]]

[[Warning: if Logos sees lots of notes for a user with names like DLxxx and JKxxx they may think that two live people are using that user id one with the initials of DL and the other of JK especially if the owner has one of those initials]]

Posts 1158
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 5:52 AM

I believe Bob once wrote something on his understanding of fair use within a family. Does anybody remember this post?

Posts 10845
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 6:02 AM

David Ames:
[[Warning: if Logos sees lots of notes for a user with names like DLxxx and JKxxx they may think that two live people are using that user id one with the initials of DL and the other of JK especially if the owner has one of those initials]]

Not to worry since FL considers husband & wife to be one.

Armin—I remember Bob's message but am too lazy to go find it again Stick out tongue

Found it—3265.aspx 

Posts 2874
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 6:05 AM

Armin:

I believe Bob once wrote something on his understanding of fair use within a family. Does anybody remember this post?

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265  But that was back in 2009.  Things have changed 

[[ found it using a google search for "site:community.logos.com  family" ]]

Posts 2539
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 6:39 AM

My wife absolutely refuses to read books on a computer, tablet, etc.  There have been a number of times that I have a book in Logos that I want her to read, but I still have to buy it in hard copy.

Posts 88
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 6:50 AM

David Thomas:

I wish Logos would create a way to "loan a resource" to another user. If I would lose access to that resource while it is loaned to another user, it could fit within my understanding of a single-user license. In my honest opinion, this would make ebooks even MORE attractive than Dead tree. I would have my whole digital library on a portable device AND I could loan resources to those I am mentoring (including those in my family).

This would be such a great improvement! If Logos had that feature it would be just like my paper library - if I loan a book to a friend, I can't use it until he hands it back. And it shouldn't violate any terms of use - so I'd love to see that feature one day. Big Smile

Posts 29894
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 10:12 AM

Mihahn:
I'd love to see that feature one day.

Yes

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 10:56 AM

Luis

A couple of posts have referred to the idea of you and your wife using separate notebooks for your notes and highlights - and then each of you enabling / disabling them as required.

Would that provide what you are looking for?

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 1:34 PM

Luis:

If you make the same comment on your job about somebody, you probably would be fire.

If you make the same comment on the school, you probably would be discipline,

If you make the same comment on the Church, you probably would be also discipline,

But, hey! This is a blog, so you can say whatever you want to say without adding to the main topic, and use all kind of negligent words without fear consequences, right?. Well there you go, your malicious words had consequences, and I don't care if somebody see me like I am a villain, since I am 45 and not a child to think of that way, I can read, I can understand, and I can properly answer under CONTEXT what things have been said.  

It is more than clear that your out of CONTEXT comment came with a malicious intentions and end up in your words, because of how you accused me of something, insult me by your accusation, and YOU CANNOT SEE IT YET! but you still feel a victim of circumstances, you are amazing.

Let me give you an advice for your life in general: If you cannot add to a circumstance, do not talk, same way that you behave in your job, or school, or whatever place, do it here! Simple, Right?

You are still not hearing yourself, I have said nothing wrong. You simply don’t like I suggested you stop making unfair comments about FL over this issue. I have said nothing out of context and have not been malicious in any way, I have spoken with restraint and hope you would see the error of your attitude. You are the only one speaking in an inappropriate manner, even to the point of being racist by suggesting I can not speak read English. 

You choose to ignore the solution that everyone else makes work within their marriage and shared use of Logos because you seem to think you deserve more from FL because you bought a $4,000 package. Lots of people have spent a lot more with FL and happily use it with their wife / husband and are thankful FL allows them to do that even though strictly speaking they could have made such usage in violation of the EULA.

But just in case you missed it, the solution is to separate notebooks for you and your wife using your initials or your wife‘s at the start of the name of the notebook and each of you attach your notes and highlights to the appropriate notebook. If you need more help with this myself or others are willing to help. The solution is on offer, it’s up to you as to whether you respond again to me rudeness and unfounded accusations or you ask the group for more assistance on how to make work for yo and your wife what they make work for them.

Regardless what you choose to think of me because I have had the courage to call out your behaviour, I still hold you as my brother in Christ. 

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 29 2020 3:09 AM

I think I made this (or a similar) suggestion about 10 years ago, but regardless, I will make it again. The notion that each person has to buy their own set of AYB, NICOT/NICNT, ICC, etc. is almost criminal, especially given the usage limitations of the EULA. What I would like to see FL do is implement a "group purchase" plan, where a certain number of customers "chip in" to buy a larger set of commentaries or the like. This would all be virtual, obviously. In theory, x number of customers who want to buy AYB would each spend 100/x% of the cost of the set and they would have full use of the set. Effectively, 5 or 10 or whatever number of customers would be sharing a single EULA agreement for that particular set. Most of these sets are created with the idea that seminaries and libraries will buy the complete set and readers would then check out the volume they needed for a particular study. In other words, the sets are based on the idea of some form of corporate ownership. It's a little late for me, since I probably own 80-90% of the commentary sets in Logos, but implementing such a program might encourage me to suggest Logos to others. I honestly think these publishers would sell many more sets if people didn't have to fork over the entire purchase price themselves. Having the option for a 10 or 20% stake in a set with full use privileges would entice waaaaaaay more folks to consider making the plunge on some of the pricier sets.

That said, the same thing could be done for some of these uber-large publisher collections, too. Lots of people might want immediate access to the resources in the Ultimate Collection, but NO ONE is ever going to read all of what's in that collection. BUT, if 20 people could buy a stake in a UC license with full access, I suspect Logos would sell tons of UCs. I realize I'm opening a publisher and EULA can of worms, but THAT'S THE STORY OF FAITHLIFE. Pounding out the best deals possible for customers is the very best way for FL & publishers to motivate the largest number of people to make the financial commitment to invest in a highly expensive Logos library. Make it happen.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 63
greypilgrim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2020 4:18 PM

Have you tried creating different highlighing palettes, then you could turn one on and one off

John H Pavelko

Crossroads Presbyterian Church

Walled Lake MI

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS