Books on Ethiopian/ Axumite and/or Nubian Christian art?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 19 2020 9:53 AM

I would really like to get a hold of both documentation of, and high res images of this art. I'm interested in contemporary to an extent, but im more interested in ancient/ medieval. Sadly, various historical happenings destroyed Christianity in Nubia in the very late middle ages tho there were hold outs for a century or two longer with the Kingdom of Kokka. Now South Sudan is a largely Christian country (please pray for them, they really need help!) I could be wrong but it seems likely there's a cultural disconnect between more ancient times. So I suspect modern ethiopian Christian art is more fruitful. Anyway, I am EXTREMELY interested in resources on these. I'm a real sucker for ancient Christian art, and above all, the east African Christian kingdoms in ancient and medieval times.

Posts 28724
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:22 PM

I don't see the inexpensive Ethiopian Christmas icon book that I have but  Amazon carries...

• Ethiopian Icons : Catalogue of the Collection of the Institute of Ethiopian Studies Addis Ababa University by Stanislaw Chojnacki
  • The Marian Icons of the Painter Fre Seyon: A Study in Fifteeth-Century Ethiopian Art, Patronage, and Spirituality (Orientalia Biblica Et Christiana) by Marilyn E Heldman
  • Glory of Kings Ethiopian Christian Art Exhibition Catalog by Ann M. Nicgorski and A. Dean McKenzie

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 4:18 PM

Thanks for the list! 'm writing them down in notes.
EDIT:
Whats the name of the amazon book? I've noted the others but I don['t have the exact name for that one.

Posts 28724
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 4:50 PM

The Road To Bethlehem: A Nativity Story From Ethiopia by Elizabeth Laird is the book I couldn't remember the name of. The three books I gave in the first post are all on Amazon.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2020 6:43 AM

Thanks much.

The others so far are largely inaccessible so at some point I may have to dig thru libraries to find them. If you have any other recommendations please feel free to post them.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS