Frequency-Based Word Lists for Flashcard App and/or Other Improvements

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Shannon Nielsen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 26 2020 8:29 AM

Is there any way to create frequency-based Greek or Hebrew word lists for the Logos flashcard app?  For example, all the Greek words occurring 35 times in the New Testament, or all the Greek words occurring 6-10 times in the book of Acts.  Is there any way to create subsets within word lists at all?  For example, it's easy to create a list of all the words in the GNT, but can it be divided by frequency?

I see that lists with subsets exist, such as the Mounce BBG list divided by chapters, but I don't know if this is created by a user or Logos.

Is there any hope of the flashcard app improving at all in it's functionality?  List subsets?  Multiple tags to create overlapping subsets?  More meaningful statistics?  Improved user interface?  Patching of apparent glitches?  I realize the app is free, and it's great that lists can be created at all, but as flashcard apps go, it seems like there are many ways it could easily be improved.

For other users of flashcard apps, if you've given up on the Logos app, what do you use instead?  Are your lists sharable?  Have you found free solutions, or other quality solutions at a low cost?  Have you found a way to import large word lists conveniently from Logos or another source into the app you use--i.e., the sorts of word lists you'd find in Kubo?

Thanks for your input!

Posts 3544
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2020 9:16 AM

I've never tried starting off with Logos word lists -- someone else might tell you whether they can be exported into the right format -- but I have managed fine using other sources (e.g., an excel vocabulary spreadsheet from Lexham Press).

Personally, I'd love a one-stop solution which could work the way you want from Logos, but their Flashcard app seem to be neglected. It did get an update in the last year (likely to stop Apple from pulling the app from the store), but the prior update had been years before that, as I recall.

Shannon Nielsen:
if you've given up on the Logos app, what do you use instead?

I've settled on Memrise, both on the web and as an iOS app.  Anki and Quizlet are also popular, from what I've read.

You'll find they have many user-contributed courses using vocabulary lists from popular textbooks (although searching their courses is horrendous). Courses are often broken up by textbook chapter. The best courses include audio (which happens to be tedious to upload, file by file, since there's no bulk option for that).

Memrise can bulk import tab-delimited or comma-delimited text, provided that you can get your word lists into that format.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 2
Shannon Nielsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2020 3:25 PM

Thanks a ton for the info.

Posts 10557
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2020 4:47 PM

PetahChristian:
I've never tried starting off with Logos word lists -- someone else might tell you whether they can be exported into the right forma

That's the point of the Logos Flashcard app: you don't need to export Word Lists into any special format. They just sync over automatically - no fuss, no nothing.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10557
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2020 5:09 PM

Shannon Nielsen:
I see that lists with subsets exist, such as the Mounce BBG list divided by chapters, but I don't know if this is created by a user or Logos.

Back when dirt was new, Logos created some so-called vocabulary lists for their then-current bible software Libronix. This included vocab lists for many Biblical Greek textbooks - those have been converted to Logos Word Lists and shared in FL groups. Some users have shared additional lists (there are a number for Mounce's wildly popular BBG, some with added functionality like sound).

You should follow at least two FL groups: https://faithlife.com/logos-flashcards-app/activity and https://faithlife.com/introductory-grammar-vocabulary-lists/activity - go to the Bible Study section of the Community menu on the left side of the group page and open the Logos Documents tab. There you'll find shared Word List documents which will probably include the textbooks you're learning Greek from and also some frequency-based lists. 

To make a frequency-based list by using your own criteria, probably the best way is a two-step approach that makes use of the power of the concordance function. This forum post may show you how (more recently, Logos trainer Morris Proctor picked up the same way of doing things and shared in a blog post or two). 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS