No page numbers in ebooks?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1282
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 11 2020 5:15 PM

I purchased https://www.logos.com/product/55426/the-bible-and-homosexual-practice-texts-and-hermeneutics for a class and I realized it is an ebook with no page numbers. This will be a problem with citations.......

Is there a reason this book does not have "Logos Book" status? It seems to be the kind of book that works well in Logos......

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2020 5:45 PM

Several things

1. page Numbers are handy, but citations don’t require them. There are alternate means to cite. 
2. FLEB titles are not “value added,” so dont Count on page numbers. Not many (if any) have them. 
3. This does seem like a likely candidate, but there may be publisher reasons. If logos knows they want it as a logos edition and think it likely, even if a long wait, they will pull the title. In other words, you may be lucky you have it. If they do pull it, you should get a free upgrade, as long as the same edition is released. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10544
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2020 12:27 AM

JT (alabama24):
there may be publisher reasons

It's Abingdon Press, they publish only through FL eBooks with the exception of the NIB and NIBD (they have over 1000 books on FLEB, including very scholarly ones).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2539
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2020 4:45 AM

JT (alabama24):

1. page Numbers are handy, but citations don’t require them. There are alternate means to cite. 

Is there a standard way to get around the fact that the orginal page number may not be known?

If I was making the rules I would reference the number of paragraphs from the last major chapter heading.

As there maybe several places that just a short quote might be found.

Posts 22632
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2020 5:12 AM

David Ames:
Is there a standard way to get around the fact that the orginal page number may not be known?

It will probably vary by referencing style and, where applicable, institution.

A college I work with says - using Kindle as an example:

However if you are using an older style Kindle where there are no page numbers you need to use the location numbers which do not change when the reader changes the text size. The location number can be found by moving the cursor to the relevant piece of text and the location number is displayed at the bottom of the screen

Example from an old-style Kindle e-book: D.A. Carson and Douglas J. Moo, An Introduction to the New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2009), Amazon Kindle e-book (chapter 13, para.9, location 12411).

Posts 1282
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2020 6:31 AM

Ok, thanks for the input!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS