Reading Plan - Books without page numbers

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 343
Jason Saling - www.NapavineBaptist.com | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:18 PM

What is the best way (how do I?) to create a reading plan with a book that doesn't have page numbers, such as The New Dictionary of Biblical Theology.  I'm wanting to only put *specific/certain" sections into the reading plan, such as the three sections "History of Biblical Theology" AND "Challenges of Biblical Theology" AND "Systematic Theology and Biblical Theology"

Jason Saling

Posts 26597
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:11 AM

To do this would require manual customisation which is non-supported in L4 as the documents are stored in databases - see Reading Plans

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19223
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:28 AM

Can't really do that. But here's a workaround: Each of those sections looks short enough that you could probably read one a day. Just drag them one by one (grab the Tab of the resource when it's set to that page) to a Favorites folder called, say, "Read Me!," and change the title on each of the articles in the folder to the day when you plan to read it (right-click and Rename).  If you wanted to remember where to stop reading, you could mark it ahead of time with some sort of Highlighter markup. Or else you'll just remember, since there aren't very many such sections.

This workaround wouldn't be practical for longer sections that will span multiple days or books where you have lots of sections you want to read.

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:31 AM

Jason Saling:
What is the best way (how do I?) to create a reading plan with a book that doesn't have page numbers

Jason

It appears that you cannot select portions of resources that do not have page numbers, as there is no pop up labeled "All Pages".

Posts 3768
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:53 AM

My guess this is related to a similar problem with "Read Aloud" - if a book does not have page numbers (e.g. Wesley's Sermons) , you cannot have them read aloud within L4.  Mellissa has reported the Read Aloud problem, but there has not been a fix as of yet.

I copy and paste into another Reading program that I own to listen to these kind of texts.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:14 AM

I don't have that work, so I can't try any ideas to see if any work in useful ways.

Maybe you could create a new Notes File, and name it something like "Reading Plan for <title of work>" or whatever you like.

Then, go thru the main topics in the index of the work, or by paging down etc, and add links from that work, back into the Notes File.

Once thats done, or at least enough for the next few days or weeks etc, use the Notes File to jump back into the main resource.

As you read, you can add more notes into the file if you find something new to read at a later time.

To keep track, either delete each Note in the Notes File after you read each section, or maybe change the title or comment section to reflect the status.

As I don't know the work you cited, I can't see how practical this might be, so I hoped this is useful. If not ... best of luck ... and I hope someone else has a few good ideas too.

(My hope is that Logos will continue to improve some of the older works, and add page refs where those are missing. If the work does not really have a clear concept of page numbers, "fake" ones could be added every x paragraphs. In fact, this might be a quick and temp. way to add page numbers to everything that does not already have them, pending the pages being done correctly in due course.)

Posts 217
LogosEmployee
Jannie van Niekerk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:34 AM

JimT:
(My hope is that Logos will continue to improve some of the older works, and add page refs where those are missing. If the work does not really have a clear concept of page numbers, "fake" ones could be added every x paragraphs. In fact, this might be a quick and temp. way to add page numbers to everything that does not already have them, pending the pages being done correctly in due course.)

You'll be glad to know that we are actively updating the older resources(where possible), including adding page numbers.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:48 AM

Sweet!

Thanks Logos.

(Please consider adding "fake" page numbers if the work does not have them, or can't be relocated in source form. Add a note to the info page of the resource that the page refs are not real, and most of us would be happy I think.)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS