Your website and Forums are hot

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 70
Fabian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2020 2:47 AM

MJ. Smith:

Fabian:

No other website let my fan starts like a helicopter.

So the botch is definitely on the Logos side.

Give me a break.  You indicated above that it was your ad blocker

Fabian:

Your suggestion with the Adverts are correct. As I switched off AdGuard the fans turned off. Thanks for that.

Complain to AdGuard that their software does not properly handle the Logos site ... a problem that people using other ad guards aren't experiencing.

Ah I found how to quote.

To 1. Yes it seems so. After one test. But keep in mind, this I found out after my first complain. 

To 2. Mmh, with thousands of other websites there is no such behavior. So I don't think it is an AdGuard problem per se. And as Denise mentioned above, it is not unknown with the adverts on Logos to have issues. I hope I've had unsterstand Denise correct.

Posts 29413
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2020 2:16 PM

You have crossed a line - in the same way the forum does not want people put down for reason of their denomination, it should not permit people to be put down for their nationality.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 70
Fabian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2020 1:42 AM

MJ. Smith:

You have crossed a line - in the same way the forum does not want people put down for reason of their denomination, it should not permit people to be put down for their nationality.

Please explain. You come with this after I have mentioned Denise. Where do I have attacked Denise? I have chosen Denise as a reference, as there are bugs with the Logos websites and adverts. 

BTW as I write this the helicopter is starting again. If you can't handle that Logos has bugs and the people don't want it, it is not my problem, but it is my problem as I don't want to live with it. 

Really I don't like adverts.  In the 80s there was adverts between the movies. Then 1 in the movie. Ok. sometimes this was good to go pipi. Now the movie is over 100% longer because of adverts. And as the adverts are due the many adverts not effective as before, they do more adverts. Earlier an advert was successful after 6 times. Now it needs to see over 20 times. The spiral goes up and up. Less is often more, even on Logos.com. 

And yes I find it funny how every time your advocates jumps in as soon as one report a bug. Especially me.

Unfortunately one post I have written was not uploaded. There I explained to Lee: I find a bug, I report it as it is not only for me a problem but also for others. And to make Logos better I report it. I take the time. I know of a lot of people who never would report a bug. I do, some of them say the bugs to me, because they know I do. If it is a small problem I use words like: I would love it when ... But if the problem is big then I use stronger words. It depends on the situation. It doesn't help Logos if the people only say: Oh this is the best Bible software. No it helps Logos if the people report the bugs and issues. If a smoker smokes on a forbidden area, then we can say please do it away, but if the smoker smokes on a danger area then to use words like "please" aren't in the right place. And if something is so annoying then ... I guess you can finish the sentences alone.

I really liked you, because I write in lines between and I guessed you see it. Most people didn't read my posts exactly and then they get upset. But it seems I was wrong.

Again: please explain.

Posts 29413
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2020 1:53 PM

The post to which I was objecting has been removed (or the objectionable matter edited out); it is apparently the post you think was not uploaded. I suspect that it was removed by Faithlife for violating the forum guidelines. I cannot (and would not) explain my response because the objectionable material has been (rightly) removed and therefore cannot be referred to.

I've not seen objections to the reporting of bugs anywhere or anytime on the forums as long as the bugs apply to Faithlife products or sites they link to.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8583
LogosEmployee

Am I summarising the problem correctly?

When Fabian visits community.logos.com in Safari on macOS with AdGuard enabled, the laptop fans spin up (and presumably there is high CPU usage).

When Fabian visits community.logos.com in Safari with AdGuard disabled, there is no problem (except that ads are displayed).

No one else has reported a problem visiting community.logos.com in Safari on macOS.

?

If so, it seems like AdGuard might be part of the problem. How can blocked ads cause CPU usage? The issue must be in AdGuard, surely? Can it be disabled just for this one site?

Posts 11081
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2020 8:26 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

First, Bradley, you're far more knowledgable than I (so, please don't misunderstand). But periodically the FL ad server gets stuck and I have to jar it loose. I'm guessing Safari. So, yes, maybe AdGuard, but also maybe the combo of FL, Safari, and AdGuard. 

At the moment, my other Safari battle is their google page refreshing with community.logos.com. 

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 70
Fabian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2020 12:31 AM

When Fabian visits community.logos.com in Safari on macOS with AdGuard enabled, the laptop fans spin up (and presumably there is high CPU usage).

Hello Bradley

Yes, the fan turned on like a helicopter and MacOS Catalina told me Safari is on high energy. I see also the CPU usage goes up. And because we don't have the full thread if we post an entry, to open a second community.logos.com macOS brought me a second message. Different from the first one. I don't have copied, but it was nearly: Safari or macOS has disabled this websites to refresh due of high energy usage.

Sometimes the fan turned the full time as I am on community.logos.com. Sometimes only 2 minutes.

When Fabian visits community.logos.com in Safari with AdGuard disabled, there is no problem (except that ads are displayed).

Yes. 

No one else has reported a problem visiting community.logos.com in Safari on macOS.

It seems so, but as I mentioned twice (one deleted from Logos) there are user who would never report a problem.

As I mentioned this happens only with the Logos website. No other website has this issue. So for me the Logos website is the problem. Make sense, not?

Yes it can be disabled, but this is then only a turn around and doesn't solve the problem in the roots.

Once I had a software to sync between the cell phone and the PC. After many tries it doesn't work. I contacted the cell phone manufacturer. The know the problem is on the Windows side. I contacted then Microsoft. The problem is on the software from the cell phone manufacturer. Are you kidding me? This is childish and it seems here is the same situation going on. First to blame the other side! But since this issue is only on the community.logos.com I reported it here. Make sense, not? And as I said, this is only on community.logos.com the bug is caused on this website. Make sense, not?

Posts 29413
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2020 1:12 AM

Fabian:
As I mentioned this happens only with the Logos website. No other website has this issue. So for me the Logos website is the problem. Make sense, not?

Fabian, despite having lost your confidence in a preceding post, I am going to try again to explain why the Logos website may or may not be the problem.

100+ internet statistics and facts for 2020:
 How many websites are there in 2020? As of January 2020 there were over 1.74 billion websites on the Internet. info.cern.ch was the first-ever website on the Internet, published on August 6, 1991.

So the fact that you have found only the one site which creates the problem on your equipment is not of statistical significance.  What it is, is a single example which can be used to narrow down the problem and/or point towards other cases that should be tested. Situations that cause overheating are often of interest to the computer manufacturer, and the manufacturer often receives problem reports from users allowing automatic, anonymous feedback. It may be that Apple could provide some insight into the problem.

While you are correct that many users don't bother to report problems to Logos, it is highly unusual for a problem to be reported and not have others chime in that it happens to them as well - they just hadn't bothered to capture the data and report the problem. With a single data point Faithlife has little chance of identifying the issue - short of taking over your machine and waiting for the problem to occur and be repeatable. For a single case with a known solution, turn off the ad-blocker, this is not a reasonable distribution of resources.

Fabian:
Once I had a software to sync between the cell phone and the PC. After many tries it doesn't work. I contacted the cell phone manufacturer. The know the problem is on the Windows side. I contacted then Microsoft. The problem is on the software from the cell phone manufacturer. Are you kidding me?

Having spent my career in computing, this strikes me as a perfectly reasonable situation as described.  I would describe it quite differently, however. The most likely scenario is:

• the cell phone company chose to integrate with certain Microsoft software
  • they designed their system and it worked with that release of Microsoft software
  • Microsoft provides notice of an upcoming change and advanced copies of the new software to test
  • major users test it and often succeed in delaying implementation because of unexpected issues in integration
  • other users read the change, think it doesn't affect them, and wait until Microsoft forces everyone onto the new release
  • some users, in this case, the cell phone company discovers that the little change they ignored for the last two years did affect them
  • the cell phone company blames Microsoft for breaking the integration rather than admit their error ... besides if enough companies have trouble maybe Microsoft will give them some additional time to make the switch
  • Microsoft knowing that the change was announced long in advance and that most companies made the necessary adjustments without problems, responds that it is not their problem the cell phone company didn't read the advanced notices ... the cell phone is the one that has to make the adjustments.

Different companies, different integrations I've seen the scenario so many times it was funny ... it happened over and over in small applications of a large institution that had a close working relationship with Microsoft.

So, no, while the browser, the website, the ad blocker, and the ad blocker all have some possibility of being the cause of the problem, in this situation I would place my bets first on the ad blocker (your report), next on the browser (Denise's report), and last on the web site. This does not discount your account; it acknowledges the reality of software development ... and the degree to which each software integration point increases the standard estimate of maintenance costs.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS